Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I had not seen a post about this here on the forum, but experienced it many times the past 2 weeks on the road. Has nobody experienced this with their JT? I read it is common with the Grand Cherokee with Eco?

I had a light load of camping gear in the bed and was towing my Tentrax trailer in the mountains of 5 western states with a lot of off road mixed in......I'd estimate 2k in added weight between equipment and trailer. I first noticed the reduction in power first day out climbing a 6% grade with ambient temps in the low 80s and noted 260° oil temp is the magic number. It happened a few more times during the trip while climbing long steep hills off road too. Yesterday climbing Daylight Pass out of Death Valley she de-rated first once oil temp hit 260°and then once water temp hit 248° lights went off and speed dropped to 20mph for a but until things cooled off.

I know I was testing the limits of the cooling system at 124° and that was one of the reasons I went that route. Should be interesting once I actually tow a load 4000lb+ even when its not hot.
Sponsored

Deleted member 22728

Happened to me thrice yesterday on a trip to Phoenix and back. Ascending the grade out of Camp Verde, at 65 mph unloaded, it first shut cruise control down, then went into self-preservation mode. Ambient air temp was 102f. On the return trip, it depowered climbing the black canyon grade, then finally the Bell Rock grade (coolant @ 222, oil @ 244, IAT @ 245!!!!!!!!). We're working on a heat mitigation solution now. The Jeep is a special order 21 JTRD with 221 miles. There was a MIL for fuel flow higher than expected, which was wiped.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's a bit disappointing having all this power and not being able to shed the heat so it can be used at will!

I generally don't travel when it's this hot, so I assume the derating will be more tolerable when cooler. My trip to Death Valley this winter next uncovered the conditions. It still beats the gasser up the hill I bet?

Thinking about some Amsoil Dominator coolant booster as it's always worked well at fixing marginal cooling systems in the past. Surly cant hurt the situation!

I'm betting yours will get better after break in? Lot of heat produced when matching new engine internals.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Good info, thanks for the specific numbers to avoid, 260F on the oil and 248F on the coolant.

Next question is where can we add additional radiators for each 🤔

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good info, thanks for the specific numbers to avoid, 260F on the oil and 248F on the coolant.

Next question is where can we add additional radiators for each 🤔
Yes, those seemed to be the numbers where stuff happens!

Not sure where one would mount more coolers. I does appear the Ram guys have options for oil coolers, but we must dont have the space.

Sponsored

Deleted member 22728

I have a 15' GC Eco, and knew what we'd be up against with cooling. The GC pulled our 28' Airstream from Barstow to Needles IN JULY, with no preservation mode. Not to mention all over the country with no issues at all.

The underhood temps were over the top, and should be mitigated. So, I'll have it in the shop over the weekend looking at:

Airflow options at bumper-level

Flow options through the hood

Cold air options for the air filter (intake air is routed through channels in the hood itself)

Finally, excessive underhood temps is causing, of all things, the high-current power circuit to the anti-sway bar disconnect to open. This, too, will be addressed.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Watching… my combined weight truck and trailer with water and firewood and people is 11460, still under my 12100 max weight but being in northern ny I don’t see overly high ambient temperatures.
is there a tell on the dash when these things happen ?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No indication of the first derating when oil temp reaches 260, you just notice speed slows and the throttle goes limp. When temp reaches 248 you get a bell and the temp guage flashes red.

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
No indication of the first derating when oil temp reaches 260, you just notice speed slows and the throttle goes limp. When temp reaches 248 you get a bell and the temp guage flashes red.
I just finished towing over the rockies at about 95 degrees outside with about 6000 pounds in the trailer and my oil temp screen when it hit 250 was still under half. I don't think my coolant temp ever exceeded 240 but still remained under halfway which is concerning to me as a mechanic as it seems the visuals of the digital gauges don't match up to the actual position that the physical gauges should have.

I assumed any derating I felt was from the engine derating itself because of altitude. However I didn't experience any of the throttle issues that you're talking about. It was just as responsive as you'd expect.

And of course there's nothing in the owners manual for actual numbers of what standard operating temperature and high temperature is so all we can do is guess.

Deleted member 22728

I should add that at 13 miles, I installed the RJ Pro 4", along with 37" Ridge Grapplers/AEV Borah wheels. The truck is in the queue for 4.56 gears, also.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just finished towing over the rockies at about 95 degrees outside with about 6000 pounds in the trailer and my oil temp screen when it hit 250 was still under half. I don't think my coolant temp ever exceeded 240 but still remained under halfway which is concerning to me as a mechanic as it seems the visuals of the digital gauges don't match up to the actual position that the physical gauges should have.

I assumed any derating I felt was from the engine derating itself because of altitude. However I didn't experience any of the throttle issues that you're talking about. It was just as responsive as you'd expect.

And of course there's nothing in the owners manual for actual numbers of what standard operating temperature and high temperature is so all we can do is guess.
I noted the temp gauge didn't move as long as the actual temp was within a specific range, but I dont remember the numbers off hand. It rides just below half until high 230s, then goes to just over half in the low 240s, finally going red at 248 from my recollection. No doubt the water temps are the highest of any vehicle I have operated.

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
I noted the temp gauge didn't move as long as the actual temp was within a specific range, but I dont remember the numbers off hand. It rides just below half until high 230s, then goes to just over half in the low 240s, finally going red at 248 from my recollection. No doubt the water temps are the highest of any vehicle I have operated.
See but mine were below half the entire time on my display, max coolant I saw was 240ish, tranny 224, and oil just a hair over 250.
Again none of them ever showed above half. I'm going to have to ask the dealership about that one.

Druidirvin

First Name
Irvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon ecodiesel
Occupation
RRT
I wonder if there is a aftermarket front grill that can allow more airflow to the engine. Perhaps this one…
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 96FD3317-C910-4596-9E75-0384C140A544

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wonder if there is a aftermarket front grill that can allow more airflow to the engine. Perhaps this one…
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? 96FD3317-C910-4596-9E75-0384C140A544
I've never liked those angry looking grills, but what if........

M3r1c4

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
IT Manager
I've never liked those angry looking grills, but what if........
Funny. Exactly what I said this morning. I also wonder if the hood scoops for the Rubicon would help the engine bay temp.
Sponsored