First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Ecodiesel, 2019 KLT 3.2
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else finding the factory rubicon fox shocks insufficient for their diesel? Especially after adding steel bumper, winch, and steel rock sliders, the suspension has squatted in the front and damping seems lacking (wasn't great before either). I'm hitting bump stops on highways/interstates and moderate potholes/depressions around town. Probably will get 3/4" spacers for the front to get it back to normal height, but not finding options for stiffer shocks. Not sure what the mopar lift kit is like in terms of damping, I know they are 2.5" dia versus 2". I had good luck on my last jeep upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, might give them a buzz and see if a diesel specific shock is in the works.

related: Looking through the off road vendors and stores, looks like they all use the same shocks for gas and diesel models, which is concerning. Are the diesel shocks not stiffer than the gas? Public Mopar parts site isn't up yet with 21 diesel to cross check.
Sponsored

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2021 Overland ED. Unfortunately I installed the following in this order but don’t have any issues with the Fox Shocks that I installed.

Mopar steel bumper with skid plate
Teraflex 1 1/2” front level kit
Mopar HD Rock sliders with step
Mopar Fox Shocks

FWIW, shocks don’t determine ride height. That is what the springs do.

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Anyone else finding the factory rubicon fox shocks insufficient for their diesel? Especially after adding steel bumper, winch, and steel rock sliders, the suspension has squatted in the front and damping seems lacking (wasn't great before either). I'm hitting bump stops on highways/interstates and moderate potholes/depressions around town. Probably will get 3/4" spacers for the front to get it back to normal height, but not finding options for stiffer shocks. Not sure what the mopar lift kit is like in terms of damping, I know they are 2.5" dia versus 2". I had good luck on my last jeep upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, might give them a buzz and see if a diesel specific shock is in the works.

related: Looking through the off road vendors and stores, looks like they all use the same shocks for gas and diesel models, which is concerning. Are the diesel shocks not stiffer than the gas? Public Mopar parts site isn't up yet with 21 diesel to cross check.
As @Abnmarine said, you need more spring and more damper.

SS/DD - springs store, dampers dissipate

Damper will adjust how the ride feels relative to the spring rate, but only the spring can change static sag.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I agree that the whole truck is too soft for my liking, but it does ride nice on the road. I ordered with the steel bumper, but also have a Zeon winch sitting here and can't imagine how much softer it would be.

Spoke with Fox yesterday about whether I should stop at the 2.5 Elites or step up to the baller pay window and get the 3.0's for my use and driving style. I was concerned that even the off the shelf shocks might be too soft for the diesel......Sales guy told me there was 100% more damping in the adjusters from soft to hard and would take care of my needs regardless.

I ordered the 2.5's on his recomendation since I'm not racing or sending an $80K truck off big jumps!

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
There is a lot of damping in fox 2.5’s. Youll want more spring but that damper will work fine.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
If you have been pleased with bilstein in the past, maybe look into the dual sport from AEV. They use bilstein in the Dual sport 2.5" lift that is compatible with the diesel.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming

I bought the high altitude trim with diesel and the factory suspension was so stiff every ripple in the pavement you could feel.. rr crossing were like a motocross track! want to buy them?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If you have been pleased with bilstein in the past, maybe look into the dual sport from AEV. They use bilstein in the Dual sport 2.5" lift that is compatible with the diesel.
This^

You can rest assured AEV wont under damp it. You can also buy fox shocks from accutune and get custom valving.

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
hoping to stay out of lift other than put that 3/4" coil spacer in to bring the front back up. So looking for "stand alone" shock options. Bilstein tech support said they have no products for this application currently. I'll have to look at what AEV is using. they might be too long for stock height though. Will have to look at the Fox 2.5 adjustable as mentioned. Was hoping to not spend more than a few hundred to fix this issue.

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
from AEV's product page:
This suspension and spring/shock tune was designed for the gas engine Gladiator. The Ecodiesel adds a significant amount of weight to the vehicle, which AEV is currently developing a new version of the 2.5” springs for. That being said, all AEV DualSport suspensions are designed around fully upfited vehicles with add-ons like steel bumpers, winch, spare tire carrier, and added cargo, so they will already handle additional vehicle weight. The AEV DualSport gas suspension will still work well on an otherwise near-stock Ecodiesel Gladiator without a lot of added weight from accessories. We do not suggest it for more heavily modified Ecodiesel Gladiators.

So with that said, I'm worried I fall into that last category due to bumper, winch, sliders, and hard folding bed cover. Also want to do full steel skid system at some point (which ACE engineering says they are working on). I think I need to wait for a diesel dedicated lift system or shock set to come along.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Fox elite 2.5 is too far out of the box. I rather wait for a full AEV lift kit at that price.

related: the mopar lift kit has 2.5" shocks without reservoir, correct? Where is that listed on the Fox site? Or is it a Mopar exclusive?

PERFORMANCE ELITE SERIES 2.5 RESERVOIR SHOCK (PAIR) - ADJUSTABLE
(Includes Universal Bracket)
FrontALL0-1.5"883-26-049$1399.95

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
hoping to stay out of lift other than put that 3/4" coil spacer in to bring the front back up. So looking for "stand alone" shock options. Bilstein tech support said they have no products for this application currently. I'll have to look at what AEV is using. they might be too long for stock height though. Will have to look at the Fox 2.5 adjustable as mentioned. Was hoping to not spend more than a few hundred to fix this issue.
Shocks alone are not going to fix your problem. Youve taxed the spring rate and impacted static sag. 3/4” of compression drop -if that’s how far it came Down- on static sag is ALOT.

If you’re going to go spacer/damper route, work with Accutune to get the valving stiffened up on whatever shocks you’re looking at budget wise, and that will help with bottoming and control of the suspension stroke. If that ends up fixing it to you’re liking, then good to go. If not, youll have to respring.

Good luck!

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
If you're hitting the bump stops, it would be worth checking out the $100 Terraflex kit. Super easy to install and it really made a good difference on my truck.

The regular Fox 2.0's are appreciably stiffer than the Mopar valving, I figure to stay with Fox whenn I bump to a 2" lift. The Mopar lift has shocks with the same OEM valving even though they are 2.5" diameter. Clayton has the Fox 2.0's as an option, for example.

Factory valving is frequently mushy, but heck shocks are a wear item.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I just wanted to add the the Fox 2.0's, on the gas, are still too soft. Granted, my JKS springs might also be soft, but they aren't sagging. I am constantly hitting the bump stops on regular city driving. I'm replacing them with something stiffer. The rears seem to be doing great, however.
Sponsored