First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone done an ecodiesel to hemi conversion?

Other than replacing the fuel tank, engine (and all associated fuel delivery systems) and exhaust. I think most of that gets swapped out with an engine swap anyway with the exception of the fuel tank.

I’m planning for the eventual demise of support for the ecodiesel and what we can do about it. At least for those of us interested in keeping our rigs longer term.

Any thoughts or advice?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have seen it talked about on the RAM forums but know of nobody that went through with it.

Things that came up is that when doing a Hemi conversion on a diesel is that there is some things lost and would have to be put in. With a factory gas engine to HEMI swap, there is some economy saved like the emissions systems, fuel tank and also the layout of wiring in the engine bay for a few other ancillary systems would have to be sourced and installed for a swap from diesel to a HEMI gas engine.

I would suggest contacting one of the conversion companies like Exodus 4x4 and ask. They can give you the definitive answer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a little premature to be planning for lack of support on an engine they are still selling.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I thought auto manufacturers were supposed to provide parts and support for seven years?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I thought auto manufacturers were supposed to provide parts and support for seven years?
That is a internet wives tale. There is no Federal law that mandates this.

Most larger car companies will try to keep stock to get through warranty but that is not a guarantee either and can legally put in salvage and aftermarket parts if needed.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
If you are planning a swap, I would plan a ls swap. Way more robust aftermarket and options for years and years

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If the new power plant has basically ‘stand-alone’ electronics, it seems the swap might not be too bad. You would still incur cost like swapping fuel tank, Etc

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’d like to go with something the current electronics recognize. I suspect any of the MOPAR hemi engines would work, but I don’t have any hard proof or personal experience.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Spoke to AMW about this last year and they said its doable but it would be far cheaper & easier to sell the EcoD and pick up a high-mile Rubi donor. This seemed to check out, I've been keeping tabs on the market and a well cared for Rubi with around 70k miles can be had for mid to low $30s easily if willing to travel. I then went down another rabbit hole with blown 3.6 motor/salvage specimens. They can be had for low 20s but need to be hauled home.

At the end of the day you you'd be better off nabbing a well cared for Rubi for $30k and have Exodus/AMW/etc. do their magic for $40k (for the 6.4L beast). If opting for the 5.4L Hemi, you'd be around $60k all in. Not bad considering a well equipped Ford Ranger hits that these days : o )

Lastly, check the dynos on the 5.4. Coming from the 3.6, it would feel epic but we have gobs more torque down low so the difference wouldn't be worth the cost for most unless jumping up to the 6.4 or better if starting with EcoD ownership.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The biggest problem with finding a vehicle either new in-stock on a dealer lot, or on the used market is that I want what I want. I would happily pay for a new JT with all the same options but with the 3.6L and still pay the same as I did for the ecodiesel (with the $4k+ mark-up) two years ago (I paid about 4% below invoice). But the cost for even the 3.6L has far exceeded even what I paid for my ecodiesel 2 years ago, by several thousand dollars (even accounting for a great deal from Gupton at about 7% below invoice).

So, I’m stuck with either an engine that will not be supported in a few years, or buying a new vehicle that is far beyond what I want to pay - or think it’s worth. That opinion may change as time goes by, but that’s where I’m at currently, and why I’m interested in what it would take to do a swap. I was thinking it might be $10k or so. Obviously I am wrong.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
To say this swap would not be cheap would be a gross understatement. Just a HEMI swap into a gas Gladiator is running well north of $20k and you're reusing a great majority of the wiring and fuel system parts. If I were to do a swap from my EcoDiesel to anything else, it would be to a 4BBT Cummins and I'd drop the emissions components.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
There will be plenty of parts available if you know where to look. The ecodiesel isn't some propriety engine design by FCA and lives on outside Jeep/RAM. VM Motori is an industrial engine maker and the same Ecodiesel motor can be owned in marine guise.

MR 506 SH3 - VM Motori

If anything, the fact that it is being used for industrial marine use should mean something for its reliability in the long run (not counting emissions systems).

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
The biggest problem with finding a vehicle either new in-stock on a dealer lot, or on the used market is that I want what I want. I would happily pay for a new JT with all the same options but with the 3.6L and still pay the same as I did for the ecodiesel (with the $4k+ mark-up) two years ago (I paid about 4% below invoice). But the cost for even the 3.6L has far exceeded even what I paid for my ecodiesel 2 years ago, by several thousand dollars (even accounting for a great deal from Gupton at about 7% below invoice).

So, I’m stuck with either an engine that will not be supported in a few years, or buying a new vehicle that is far beyond what I want to pay - or think it’s worth. That opinion may change as time goes by, but that’s where I’m at currently, and why I’m interested in what it would take to do a swap. I was thinking it might be $10k or so. Obviously I am wrong.
The EcoD has been sold in the hundreds of thousands across two gens in north america. In terms of the Gen 2, those that accepted the 3k check and PCM flash, the warranty on just about every fuel supply, fuel delivery, SCR/DPF, DEF system, etc. etc. etc. is for another 10 years from the date of recall.

However, several other posts have basically gotten it right; sell your rig and invest in a 3.6 for the conversion, with which you'll benefit from many that have done so with success.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So, I’m stuck with either an engine that will not be supported in a few years, or buying a new vehicle that is far beyond what I want to pay - or think it’s worth.
The Jeep aftermarket finds a way to support. EcoDiesel weak points are the emissions components and Fuel Pump. Nothing that will not be overcome years into the future.

Entitled to your opinion but it comes off unnecessarily defeatist to most.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Jeep aftermarket finds a way to support. EcoDiesel weak points are the emissions components and Fuel Pump. Nothing that will not be overcome years into the future.

Entitled to your opinion but it comes off unnecessarily defeatist to most.
Hoot, et al,

Thanks for the reality check! Sometimes my anxieties get the best of me.
Sponsored