First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
Hey there, my question is probably very basic but I have searched and could not find definitive information regarding my specific issue. I recently purchased a 2020 JTR after selling a 2018 JLU a year and a half ago. I was new to the scene and lifted my JLU with a rough country 2.5” kit, added 20” wheels, and E-rated tires because I knew no better. Needless to say, it was not fun to drive. Now, fast forward to the present, I love the handling and ride of my JTR. I have moved closer west also, which puts me in a better location for good wheeling. I do not intend put 37’s on; 35’s at some point though. My question is, will a front spacer leveling kit negatively affect the ride quality or performance of my vehicle? I chose the JTR to have a better riding and performing unit from the factory, so I do not want to compromise those qualities if possible. I just do not like the rake at all and do not intend to tow much, if ever. Will I lose shock travel or anything else that may affect off-roading?
Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I did the rancho 1.5" front only on my daughters S as I also hated the rake. Me and a friend installed it in a little over an hour, its just springs, links and new adjustable 9000 shocks for front. It easily clears the 285 tires, could do 315 no problem on stock rims

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there, my question is probably very basic but I have searched and could not find definitive information regarding my specific issue. I recently purchased a 2020 JTR after selling a 2018 JLU a year and a half ago. I was new to the scene and lifted my JLU with a rough country 2.5” kit, added 20” wheels, and E-rated tires because I knew no better. Needless to say, it was not fun to drive. Now, fast forward to the present, I love the handling and ride of my JTR. I have moved closer west also, which puts me in a better location for good wheeling. I do not intend put 37’s on; 35’s at some point though. My question is, will a front spacer leveling kit negatively affect the ride quality or performance of my vehicle? I chose the JTR to have a better riding and performing unit from the factory, so I do not want to compromise those qualities if possible. I just do not like the rake at all and do not intend to tow much, if ever. Will I lose shock travel or anything else that may affect off-roading?
How would a spacer impact ride? You still have the same springs, they are compressed the same amount when the truck's weight is on them.
They also won't impact steering as they don't change toe - MAY change steering wheel centering depending on the spacer height.
Camber won't change at all.
Caster may change some, but not a lot - again, depending on the spacer height.
Your tire change will impact ride and handling more than modest spacers.
I assume you are talking something like a .75" to perhaps the 1.5" spacer/leveling setup?

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
How would a spacer impact ride? You still have the same springs, they are compressed the same amount when the truck's weight is on them.
They also won't impact steering as they don't change toe - MAY change steering wheel centering depending on the spacer height.
Camber won't change at all.
Caster may change some, but not a lot - again, depending on the spacer height.
Your tire change will impact ride and handling more than modest spacers.
I assume you are talking something like a .75" to perhaps the 1.5" spacer/leveling setup?
Correct, I would probably get the teraflex spacer and then measure and choose between the 1” or 1.5”. Thanks for the response, makes sense and aligns with what I was thinking — just trying to be extra cautious with mods to this one.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I needed control arms after my Teraflex spacer install, caster needed adjustment, you could probably achieve the same by some control arm drop brackets.
Or the control arms from a MOPAR lift kit?>

I'm wondering about the caster on my own after the springs and .75" spacers (although it did drop .5" with the winch and such up front. It wants to wander a bit - it will lead a bit to the left, I compensate, then it want's to lead a bit to the right, I compensate, then it want's to go left again.

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner

I'm wondering about the caster on my own after the springs and .75" spacers (although it did drop .5" with the winch and such up front. It wants to wander a bit - it will lead a bit to the left, I compensate, then it want's to lead a bit to the right, I compensate, then it want's to go left again.
Yes the same could be accomplished with the longer arms from a Mopar lift, however if I am spending the money on those, I'd spend a bit more on adjustable aftermarket arms. Better bang for the buck!

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
Yes the same could be accomplished with the longer arms from a Mopar lift, however if I am spending the money on those, I'd spend a bit more on adjustable aftermarket arms. Better bang for the buck!
The control arms for the mopar lift are 30 bucks a piece. It’s a super cheap fix for a spacer kit to correct the geometry. I did it when I installed the teraflex spacers in the front and it drives like it did the day I took it off the lot. The teraflex spacer, bfg ko2 315s, arb stubby and a warn winch, I can’t believe how well this thing drives still. I still get 18.5 mpg too, I do drive like a grandpa at times but, hey it’s only a couple of minutes more added to the trip.

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
Does anyone know what height floor jack I will need to install? Would a 20” work? I see people say that a 24” is needed, but I don’t think that is considering taking the wheels off. If wheels are removed, will a 20” Jack and stands be tall enough to do the job?

Sponsored

aztec1382

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
Occupation
finance
With just the 1.5 spacer
The truck is definitely a harsher ride
Im going to remove the teraflex spacer and install taller springs instead

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith

I'm considering the leveling kit and lower control arms. Bill, I know that you tow. How would this affect tow rating, since it's just the front. Would it? I struggle with suspension geometry and the effectsmon tow/haul capacity. I'm stock Max Tow, with coil-rite airbags.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Why do some people mention using the upper control arms to adjust the caster and others mention the lowers to do the same? What is the proper way to accomplish this task?

I initially bought the Teraflex 1.5" spacer kit, but the more I read, the more I think I should have went with something like Clayton Offroad's 1.5" leveling kit which includes an adjustable track bar, UCAs, and sway bar end links.
Sponsored