Sponsored

Egr,DPF delete while in mexico.

• Thread starter Deleted member 47279
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Deleted member 47279

Im in the area soon and thought why not just go to mexico and have a shop down here do it. Any issues driving back into the country? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

If you're planning to tamper with the emissions systems of your eco-diesel, I hope this is a burner account.

Good call, but mainly an idea.
Edit: In Mexico, of course.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It's a catch either way IMO. Although the emissions systems on modern diesels kill a lot of performance and add a lot of unneeded nannies for the engine to function, it is illegal to remove and debatably better for the environment to keep them in place - I sway on the side of not being paranoid for riding dirty.

Now, if you live in a place with 0 emissions inspections, you should be okay, but maybe looking over your shoulder for the EPA to come get you

Where I live in Southern Nevada, Clark County has a cash grab system where you pay $80 for them to verify you don't soot and visually inspect that "you haven't modified any emissions equipment". I personally don't think the kids at the smog station know what they're looking at, but regardless, I don't doubt they'd fail you if something looks even slightly out of place.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I doubt it would be an issue at the border, but it will be an issue if you have to pass emissions where you live. If not, go for it. Roll coal. Also, if the dealer finds it they may void your power train warranty. Harley is doing the same thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

It's a catch either way IMO. Although the emissions systems on modern diesels kill a lot of performance and add a lot of unneeded nannies for the engine to function, it is illegal to remove. Now, if you live in a place with 0 emissions inspections, you should be okay, but maybe looking over your shoulder for the EPA to come get you

Where I live in Southern Nevada, Clark County has a cash grab system where you pay $80 for them to verify you don't soot and visually inspect that "you haven't modified any emissions equipment". I personally don't think the kids at the smog station know what they're looking at, but regardless, I don't doubt they'd fail you if something looks even slightly out of place.
im tracking. im just kicking around the idea, since im not driving to canada. if im in san diego for instance, tj isnt far. my concern is 1. can they even do it since idk what mexican emissions is like. 2. will the sound of the exshaust be an issue at the border.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
im tracking. im just kicking around the idea, since im not driving to canada. if im in san diego for instance, tj isnt far. my concern is 1. can they even do it since idk what mexican emissions is like. 2. will the sound of the exshaust be an issue at the border.
So my questions are, if you don't know anyone in Mexico that can guide you, will you allow any unknown shop to mess with your $60,000 truck and hope you 1) get it back? and 2) in working order? and 3) you're already nervous about the exhaust noise and border patrol is trained to narrow in on people who are overly nervous, think you'll get past customs? This has to be a felony of some sort.

This just sound like a bad idea all the way around.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

So my questions is, if you don't know anyone in Mexico that can guide you, will you allow any unknown shop to mess with your $60,000 truck and hope you 1) get it back and 2) in working order and 3) you're already nervous about the exhaust noise and border patrol is trained to narrow in on people who are overly nervous.

This just sound like a bad idea all the way around.
my entire journey with jeeps have been a bad idea lol i mainly got the idea in my head an hour ago and kicking it around. 1. I will do alot of digging prior to even getting close to implementation. 2. just wanted to see if anything had thought of it, or did it.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
The sound wouldn’t change much, if any. My buddy had his Peterbilt done and they basically gut the DPF and reprogram the computer to ignore whatever they did. All the stock exhaust remains. There’s the EGR and DEF systems that have to be addressed too.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
1. I would not trust any tuners in Mexco. It is more that cutting shit off and slapping a strait pipe one. You need ECM tuning to make any improvements.
2. Nobody at the border gives a rats ass what you do to your truck.
C. Do you really trust the vehicle enough to take it out of warranty? Personally I don't trust my diesel any farther than a tow truck will run from my dealer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

The sound wouldn’t change much, if any. My buddy had his Peterbilt done and they basically gut the DPF and reprogram the computer to ignore whatever they did. All the stock exhaust remains. There’s the EGR and DEF systems that have to be addressed too.
currently have MBRP filterback. so it would be straight pipe lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

1. I would not trust any tuners in Mexco. It is more that cutting shit off and slapping a strait pipe one. You need ECM tuning to make any improvements.
2. Nobody at the border gives a rats ass what you do to your truck.
C. Do you really trust the vehicle enough to take it out of warranty? Personally I don't trust my diesel any farther than a tow truck will run from my dealer.
i would just put everything back in for warranty work. no gutting DPF, and would use spare ECM.
Sponsored