• Thread starter Deleted member 47279
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if you are not fluent in Spanish, or don't already have a trusted source, there is not point even thinking about it. Good luck trying to communicate a complicated and technical topic to a non-native English speaker. Communication communication communication is what is important here, you are not just taking a sawzall to stuff which is what you will get looking for a shop in border town. You would likely need to go to Mexico city to get skilled labor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

if you are not fluent in Spanish, or don't already have a trusted source, there is not point even thinking about it. Good luck trying to communicate a complicated and technical topic to a non-native English speaker. Communication communication communication is what is important here, you are not just taking a sawzall to stuff which is what you will get looking for a shop in border town. You would likely need to go to Mexico city to get skilled labor.
i speak several languages including spanish lol. thats why the idea popped into my head.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i speak several languages including spanish lol. thats why the idea popped into my head.
good, start looking for a place in mexico city. they should have websites you'll be able to understand.

But my guess is this motor/jeep being so new, there won't be shops to support it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

good, start looking for a place in mexico city. they should have websites you'll be able to understand.
my thoughts are i just need a tuner with experience with the ecodiesel. The fab work is simple enough, but the tuning i would really have to do some ground work to find.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my thoughts are i just need a tuner with experience with the ecodiesel. The fab work is simple enough, but the tuning i would really have to do some ground work to find.
Our Canadian neighbors have tuning options, have you looked into that>

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

Our Canadian neighbors have tuning options, have you looked into that>
I just started thinking about it, but from what i can see being American is a handcuff up there. any help is greatly welcomed. Mexico came up as I have business down there and i thought im sure im not the first to think about leveraging some reputable tuning shop along the border. i mean the cartel has some sweet rides lol

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
That was a reply to the other comment but either way, it's your truck. They are coming down hard on violations with light diesel lately so good luck finding someone who will do the tune and I would suggest keeping your mouth shut if you do.

Personally, I feel like if you don't want to deal with the complications of a modern diesel you just shouldn't buy a modern diesel. The falloff in reliability and all isn't because the emissions equipment, it's consumer demand. The engines just aren't built to the same level as the tractor engines 20 years ago. On something this light you can get more than enough power out of the gas engine and gears should you need to compensate for weight or towing or tires. The deep OD transmission gives so many more options.
I was so excited about the diesel option (mostly for mileage and off road range) until I really thought it through and decided I didn’t want the headaches. I drive a diesel truck for a living and deal with all these EGR, DPF and DEF issues already. I’ll just keep carrying extra gas.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
There are lots of people doing it in the states, even CA, but you gotta know someone that knows someone, etc. It’s black market kinda stuff. Or do it yourself.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are lots of people doing it in the states, even CA, but you gotta know someone that knows someone, etc. It’s black market kinda stuff. Or do it yourself.
Agreed, i was specifically referring to mexico.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
You would likely need to go to Mexico city to get skilled labor.
You think the only place in Mexico with skilled labor and technicians who understand modern engines is Mexico City? Have you seen some of the builds that are done in Baja California (including TJ) for the off road races like the SCORE Baja series? There are also authorized Jeep dealerships all over Mexico with certified technicians just like stateside. That's a pretty dismissive and kind of ignorant comment to make if I'm being frank.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can think what you will, but i have been over the border a few times and if you think you can just cross the border and it's just like what we have here, you are fooling yourself. Sounds like you have some experience there, that is good, i am sure baja is the exception to the case with it's knowledge base about motorsports but i am pretty sure they aren't racing EcoD in baja.

My point was you will likely need to focus on urban areas where standards and knowledge is higher if the original poster is looking for a very specialized service of reflashing a 2021 jeep ecoD.

plus looking the https://www.jeep.com.mx/modelos/jeep-jt-2021#desempeno
it looks like a ecoD isn't even an option. Which makes this proposition even more difficult.

Last edited:

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
You can think what you will, but i have been over the border a few times and if you think you can just cross the border and it's just like what we have here, you are fooling yourself. Sounds like you have some experience there, that is good, i am sure baja is the exception to the case with it's knowledge base about motorsports but i am pretty sure they aren't racing EcoD in baja.

My point was you will likely need to focus on urban areas where standards and knowledge is higher if the original poster is looking for a very specialized service of reflashing a 2021 jeep ecoD.

it looks like a ecoD isn't even an option. Which makes this proposition even more difficult.
There you are absolutely right, poverty is much more obvious the second you cross the border. However, if you want to talk about 'urban areas', Tijuana is second largest city in Mexico when considering population. Anything you can get in Mexico City is readily available in Tijuana.

In terms of OP's question. I think he may have been just trolling anyways because there's no way he's seriously considering doing this. I love Mexico. I go diving there as well as enjoy being at all of the SCORE races and I wouldn't do what he's spitballing.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist

There's a lot of skilled labor in Mexico, including engineers and diesel techs. Some better than here. You think US is the standard for skilled labor? Nobody wants to work. Some of the laziest SOBs I've seen. The lower wage earners all trip out they should be CEOs but have no skills and 0 responsibility.

Also EcoDiesel doesn't have any reported catastrophic engine failures unlike the shitty Pentagranade
Sponsored