Sponsored

El Camino del Diablo (The Devil's Highway)

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Took a trip with another Gladiator, as well as a Toyota Tundra, a G-Wagen, and a couple Pinzgauers (one 6WD) along El Camino del Diablo. Following Native American footpaths dating back at least a thousand years, El Camino del Diablo has been traveled by conquistadores, explorers, missionaries, settlers, miners, and cartographers. Also known as Camino del Muerto, the Road of the Dead, crossing the Devil’s Highway exposes one to unforgiving terrain and potentially unforgiving conditions. Historically, it is known for the thousands who have perished while attempting to travel it. I suppose that’s why a group of friends and I decided, “Let’s go!”, after reading a New York Times article about this amazing route. The New York Times article about El Camino del Diablo may be found here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/travel/arizona-road-trip-camino-del-diablo.html

Videos of the trip may be found here:

Teaser ...

Day 1 ...

Day 2 ...

Day 3 ...
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Always a Fan . . . but seeing your choices for nutritious meals had me wondering . . . really? :) :puke: :CWL:
Mark your getting "lazy" in the kitchen it seems . . . and your "blaming" it on not having a proper kitchen set up? :headbang: :lipssealed:
Shame on you! Day 2's scenery was spectacular but the dinner had me desirous for a Big Mac . . . ugh . . . and I don't like "fast food" per-say. :swear: :) How you liking the new tent?

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Always a Fan . . . but seeing your choices for nutritious meals had me wondering . . . really? :) :puke: :CWL:
Mark your getting "lazy" in the kitchen it seems . . . and your "blaming" it on not having a proper kitchen set up? :headbang: :lipssealed:
Shame on you! Day 2's scenery was spectacular but the dinner had me desirous for a Big Mac . . . ugh . . . and I don't like "fast food" per-say. :swear: :) How you liking the new tent?
To be clear: I'm not "blaming it" on not having a proper kitchen setup. I'm--let's use the word "protesting"--how expensive overlanding is promoted as. So, one thing I intend to do with the Gladiator is show it doesn't have to be that way. My well-equipped Wrangler is still out there and will be used on some trips.

As for the tent, I've had it a few years. And before that had exactly the same one (MSR Hubba Hubba) in a different color for many prior years before wearing it out. Buying the same model probably means you've figured out I like it. :)

34ftcamper

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Awesome! I did a Solo trip across the El Camino del Diablo in 2017 in my JK Rubicon. Spent several days, took my time hiked and explored. Such fun! Other than Border Patrol, the only other person I saw was a Federal Conservation Officer who stopped me and checked my permit. Cant wait to go back in the Gladiator!

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Thanks for sharing!

It would have been interesting if you did a walkthrough of each vehicle having the owner talk about it and show it around.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing!

It would have been interesting if you did a walkthrough of each vehicle having the owner talk about it and show it around.
The benefit of being a subscriber and regular viewer of my channel is that those folks know that already happened. But you can catch up here (9:04 if not forwarded automatically) ...

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Does anyone know how much crime occurs on this trail? I'm contemplating a trip and it's likely I'll be armed, but thought I'd ask.

34ftcamper

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Capt B
I have done it solo, spent several days doing it. I have also camped and explored solo many time in the Tijuanas Altas Mountains (spelled wrong) and Organ Pipe Cactus Monument, and most of the Border Lands from CA to NM. I have spent extensive time out there alone, sometimes for weeks. I have never had a problem, other than being stopped and checked by Border Patrol or Federal Conservation Officer. It is safe, plan properly, stay alert, and have the equipment, water, and physical ability to walk out on your own if you have to, and as you said, have your weapon if you need it. (You most likely wont) I have done some long hikes, my longest being 1435 miles, so for me walking out a 100 miles if I have to isnt a big deal. I carry a pack, enough water, a map, compass, GPS and a tarp to shade down under during the hottest part of the day. No Cell signals in there. If you get away from the BP main patrol routes you are completly on your own out there. It is beautiful and fun, just plan well and be prepared and it will be magnificent.

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Capt B
I have done it solo, spent several days doing it. I have also camped and explored solo many time in the Tijuanas Altas Mountains (spelled wrong) and Organ Pipe Cactus Monument, and most of the Border Lands from CA to NM. I have spent extensive time out there alone, sometimes for weeks. I have never had a problem, other than being stopped and checked by Border Patrol or Federal Conservation Officer. It is safe, plan properly, stay alert, and have the equipment, water, and physical ability to walk out on your own if you have to, and as you said, have your weapon if you need it. (You most likely wont) I have done some long hikes, my longest being 1435 miles, so for me walking out a 100 miles if I have to isnt a big deal. I carry a pack, enough water, a map, compass, GPS and a tarp to shade down under during the hottest part of the day. No Cell signals in there. If you get away from the BP main patrol routes you are completly on your own out there. It is beautiful and fun, just plan well and be prepared and it will be magnificent.
Excellent reply, thank you.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
To be clear: I'm not "blaming it" on not having a proper kitchen setup. I'm--let's use the word "protesting"--how expensive overlanding is promoted as. So, one thing I intend to do with the Gladiator is show it doesn't have to be that way. My well-equipped Wrangler is still out there and will be used on some trips.

As for the tent, I've had it a few years. And before that had exactly the same one (MSR Hubba Hubba) in a different color for many prior years before wearing it out. Buying the same model probably means you've figured out I like it. :)
Mark, I would NEVER "disrespect you," I've always admired your tenacity and drive to do these videos . . . 1st for Your Pleasure and lastly for ours . Perhaps 1 more smilie face at the end of 2nd paragraph ?
When I watch any number of the other popular YouTubers who Overland, with & without family members I CAN see where as the Popularity Increases & the sponsorships "appear" (while some do not) that the videos do seem to have a "Commercial" atmosphere to them . I'm smart enough to ignore that "crap" and as long as the Trip Content is Interesting & Inspiring I'll enjoy them . So, . . . when's your next great adventure ? Is Covid-19 affecting your itinerary ? Sadly, it has mine . . . I cancelled my 30 day trip to Helena, Craig & Cascade, Montana as I am older (just turned 69 (20th March) and I do have a number of "Conditions" that have hampered my immune system (thus me) Vulnerable . For ME an over abundance of Caution is Self-Advised & taken . Makes me feel like a Bear in Winter Hibernation . . . I reluctantly started ordering my food via a store website for parking lot pickup . Hoping someone somewhere comes up with something that gives us "Vulnerable Types" some peace of mind . Continue to enjoy that "Simple-JT-Life" and look forward to more scrumptious "Military Meals" on wheels Programming ! :giggle: :clap: :like:

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
What a great trip! I'm envious!

Quick question: from what I could see, it appears that a relatively stock Gladiator Sport could make that trip. Was there anything on the trail that you think would exceed the capabilities of a stock truck?

Thank you again for sharing!

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
... when's your next great adventure ? Is Covid-19 affecting your itinerary ? Sadly, it has mine . . . I cancelled my 30 day trip to Helena, Craig & Cascade, Montana as I am older (just turned 69 (20th March) and I do have a number of "Conditions" that have hampered my immune system (thus me) Vulnerable . For ME an over abundance of Caution is Self-Advised & taken . Makes me feel like a Bear in Winter Hibernation ...
Next trip was supposed to be next week. Death Valley. But, we've put it on hold. One of the participating families (Jack, who you may remember from previous adventures) lives near that Washington state nursing home. They've been on lock-down for a while. I, too, have some "compromised immune system" issues. I guess for the time being we'll both make the best of our time at home. Right now, I have a new video uploading. Not really overlanding specific, it's a slideshow of some of my favorite landscape(ish) still images. I 'm working on an overlanding video, too. It will include some of my favorite video shots from prior trips. Really, just something to bide my time and maybe help others with a few minutes respite from the world situation. Enjoy. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What a great trip! I'm envious!

Quick question: from what I could see, it appears that a relatively stock Gladiator Sport could make that trip. Was there anything on the trail that you think would exceed the capabilities of a stock truck?

Thank you again for sharing!
There's nothing we encountered that would stop any Gladiator. Please bear in mind that while a route can look easy and be easy when we run it (as this one was), the weather is why we over-prepare for an adventure. Should the weather turn foul, a Gladiator with AT or MT tires should have minimal trouble, though it would be a good idea to have a buddy in case someone got stuck. If one was going without a buddy, then they should definitely be prepared and experienced at self-recovery. That would include a winch and a Pull-Pal (since there's often nothing strong enough to winch off of, and the rangers frown on you pulling down the saguaros).
Sponsored