Sponsored

Electric chainsaw? Can we power it from 110v outlet in bed? Or better off with battery?

Motech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CITY-GS.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2019 VW GTI, 2018 BMW R1200GS
Occupation
Technologist
On the trail friday and we had to reverse for a few hundred feet because we couldnt get around a downed tree.
it was about 15” in diameter and it was elevated in the air. A chain saw would have allowed us to get right through.

so while researching should i look at battery powered or does the gladiators 110v outlet in the bed have enough power to handle a corded chainsaw?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Battery chainsaw, maybe use the 110 to run a coffee maker, if the anemic inverter can handle it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motech

Motech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CITY-GS.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2019 VW GTI, 2018 BMW R1200GS
Occupation
Technologist
Thanks guys!

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I've got the Makita 36v saw with 16" bar. Got it as a kit with 4, 5ah batteries (takes 2 at once).

Makita's charger, which can be run by the bed outlet, will generally charge 2 batteries before the the saw runs out. So you can keep a constant rotation going if needed.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I too have the makita and have found that the inverter doesn't put out a clean enough signal for the chargers tech to be happy. Lead to a brutal weekend of standing around with a saw and the batteries won't charge. Booo. Found the local Starbucks and figured if the hip folk can write their Pulitzer acceptance speech, I can charge a chainsaw while enjoying my coffee.

I love the little saw, 14" bar is a little meh compared to the Husqvarna Rancher but they have different jobs to do. One clears paths through brush and fallen branches, the other is for real stuff.

The inverter wouldn't run a corded saw of any real size, even that weird toy saw harbor freight sells for "carving". All of the battery saw are fairly comparable in terms of performance, mostly a question of how much weight do you want to carry. They make it easy, just need a file set and bar oil and away you go. Gas saws need fuel and mix oil and a file set and a spare plug and bar oil... if you are only using it some of the time, some of the times you wheel then limit your exposure cash wise. Who knows, one day you might be the guy with the saw scabbard on your fender. Not me BTW, I keep my husky in a case so it doesn't leak a slick of bar oil and/or burn someone with little fingers on little hands.

w_bracket_e9887f44fb3a2bfdf4d7d9287716b762d1f2aa47.jpg

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
20V or 60V?
I've got the 60V and absolutely love it, but I'm also invested in the Dewalt Flexvolt system (20V/60V), so have a few 60V batteries.

For just trail stuff I'm sure the 20V would be fine, but, I haven't tried it.

wilhary

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mahindra SUV
Occupation
Blogger
The Oregon CS1500 electric chainsaw is present in the 1st position as it is one of the most powerful options out there. It comes with a large 18-inch blade that is the largest when compared with others. Corded electric chainsaws have more power and can perform heavier cutting tasks than battery-powered chainsaws. While most corded chainsaws are designed to cut thick branches and small trees, some corded electric chainsaws models have enough power to cut bigger and tougher trees.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Oregon CS1500 electric chainsaw is present in the 1st position as it is one of the most powerful options out there. It comes with a large 18-inch blade that is the largest when compared with others. Corded electric chainsaws have more power and can perform heavier cutting tasks than battery-powered chainsaws. While most corded chainsaws are designed to cut thick branches and small trees, some corded electric chainsaws models have enough power to cut bigger and tougher trees.
But as discussed earlier, the inverter isn't strong enough to run a corded electric saw.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Hardly enough. Also the inverters 110vac output might also not be clean enough.

My makita charger doesn't dig the signal and won't run but the dewalts are less picky.
Sponsored