Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota TRD PRO, various old Cherokee Sports
Last edited by a moderator:

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Great! I don't really see any disadvantages to everything moving to electric aside from the current cost to produce them (which falls back on price for us) and of course, we have to factor in how much electricity the cars consume and how that electricity is produced.(because that may impact the environment more at this point than our gas burning cars) But I'm all for saving money and saving the environment, without losing (most likely gaining) performance in a vehicle, so I think in the long run these will be to much benefit to everyone.

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
I love how everyone thinks electric vehicles are so environmentally friendly. Electricity still needs to be produced and mining for the minerals needed to make the batteries is not environmentally friendly. In fact companies are destroying the ocean while mining for minerals.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I would still get anxiety over the fact that it's tough to recharge the batteries, at least compared to gas. Need more range? No problem; carry a couple extra jerry cans, which you can also refill and bring to the stranded vehicle if necessary. If you run out of juice on the trail or in the middle of nowhere... then what? Hope triple A has some offroad tow-trucks or you have solar panels fitted to your roof and you didn't get stuck in a shaded area.

This all being said, I think the instant low-end torque electric motors make are IDEAL for rock-crawling, and silently sneaking through a tough trail (aside from vehicle creaks and belly scrapes) would be pretty cool.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I would still get anxiety over the fact that it's tough to recharge the batteries, at least compared to gas. Need more range? No problem; carry a couple extra jerry cans, which you can also refill and bring to the stranded vehicle if necessary. If you run out of juice on the trail or in the middle of nowhere... then what? Hope triple A has some offroad tow-trucks or you have solar panels fitted to your roof and you didn't get stuck in a shaded area.

This all being said, I think the instant low-end torque electric motors make are IDEAL for rock-crawling, and silently sneaking through a tough trail (aside from vehicle creaks and belly scrapes) would be pretty cool.
I would just pull a electric generator with me lmao

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would just pull a electric generator with me lmao
Now that's funny.

But seriously, the point was brought up about batteries, etc. - the cost but to me, the environmental factors and safety.
Maybe by then it will be better, but for now - the materials needed - come from? Are they safe for the earth? So the rare earth stuff for the electronics and other fun stuff - from China because we can't mine them without screwing up the environment. So we increase our dependency on the EU and China, especially the latter.

Don't get me wrong - as a guy who burns through a lot of gas powering a high HP dual-quad carb'd engine with no emissions controls in place, I respect the thought of making changes and am not against electric, but it bothers me when we in this country talk about how SAVE it all is, how wonderful it is we're not polluting the air here - ah, but it is being polluted, just not here.
And disposal of all of those batteries?
Did you know - the big wind turbines out there - the towers can be recycled, but the blades, should one be damaged or replaced for any reason, upgrades, whatever? They lay around on the ground. Why? "not economically feasible to recycle them". So there we go. Wonderful, wind energy, clean, renewable - but............
Just playing devil's advocate, I guess, or playing attorney where you believe your client is guilty as heck but you still have to argue for them, or you are part of a debate team and must take a position the opposite of your beliefs.........

Electric is in, cool, neat, safe, clean, all that............. is it? Ask emergency personnel, first responders........ ask techs, and in the future when the batteries can no longer hold a charge - what will it cost - YOU, and the environment - or the government?

Just points to think about.
When it's proven these things are absolutely better for the planet, and the RANGE is improved and safety taken care of - I'm interested.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I love how everyone thinks electric vehicles are so environmentally friendly. Electricity still needs to be produced and mining for the minerals needed to make the batteries is not environmentally friendly. In fact companies are destroying the ocean while mining for minerals.
I know electric cars are not really better than current options, environmentally, but are cheaper to drive and maintain. I usually charge in the middle of the night, when the generators are running anyway and demand is low, so environmental impact is somewhat minimized. I bought mine used, and got the main battery replaced under warranty, so I got a better deal than many choosing electric. I've replaced the 12 volt battery, tires, and brake fluid, but it hasn't needed any other major maintenance in almost five years.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know electric cars are not really better than current options, environmentally, but are cheaper to drive and maintain. I usually charge in the middle of the night, when the generators are running anyway and demand is low, so environmental impact is somewhat minimized. I bought mine used, and got the main battery replaced under warranty, so I got a better deal than many choosing electric. I've replaced the 12 volt battery, tires, and brake fluid, but it hasn't needed any other major maintenance in almost five years.
And once the government subsidies go away?

I know that since they don't use gas and pay road use taxes in that way, watch out for the license fees in the future. All of the taxes you'd normally pay like we do with gas will be due when you license the electric car.

Governments are realizing that electric car drivers aren't paying for road maintenance - at least in Iowa, so they are going to be smacked with huge license fees to make up for it.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
And once the government subsidies go away?

I know that since they don't use gas and pay road use taxes in that way, watch out for the license fees in the future. All of the taxes you'd normally pay like we do with gas will be due when you license the electric car.

Governments are realizing that electric car drivers aren't paying for road maintenance - at least in Iowa, so they are going to be smacked with huge license fees to make up for it.
This year, Alabama increased the "flat fee" they charge when you pay for your tags on hybrid and electric vehicles. It's to offset the fact you don't pay as much in gas taxes.

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Electricity is free and batteries last forever and plastics do not use oil to make them so it's an awesome idea!

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Electricity is free and batteries last forever and plastics do not use oil to make them so it's an awesome idea!
And when you run out of juice and there's no charging stations your screwed . Imagine being 100 miles away from civilization and your battery dies...that's a long hike back

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
More issues that I have with EVs.

Who is going to pay for the infrastructure upgrades to add charging stations needed to support EV, us the taxpayers.

When I buy gas, there is a tax added to the cost for road maintenance and improvements, ICE drivers are paying for the roads they are driving on.

Here's an interesting read. https://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/elon-musk-s-dirty-secret/90282

Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Until we have this sort of battery technology all-electric vehicles are not practical for me:

Battery1.JPG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Until we have this sort of battery technology all-electric vehicles are not practical for me:

Battery1.JPG
I may hold out for warp capability.
Sponsored