First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Web Designer
I'm curious if anyone here has driven their Gladiator (current version, not one from the 1960s/1970s) over Elephant Hill in the Needles District of Canyonlands. I'd love to know if the longer wheelbase of the Gladiator made it more difficult, and if you were able to squeeze through that super narrow section on the way to Devil's Kitchen.

Thanks
Sponsored

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Did it with JKU on 37’s 3 times. Width shouldn’t be an issue. Long ass end on the stairs might be. Haven’t been there since 2014 so I’m bit rusty.

OP
OP
toutenhoofd

toutenhoofd

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Web Designer
Did it with JKU on 37’s 3 times. Width shouldn’t be an issue. Long ass end on the stairs might be. Haven’t been there since 2014 so I’m bit rusty.
Thanks! I've also done it with a JKU but only on 33s and it was fine. And I've done it with my Tacoma 1st Gen on 33s which was still doable, but not nearly as easy as the JKU. The new Gladiator's wheelbase is a few inches longer than my Tacoma and I'm wondering how easily it will high-center.

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
Bump. Did you try it @toutenhoofd ? I have been wanting to try this also. I did the Maze / Flint Trail out as far as the Wall last year in the Gladiator with stock 33s and it was fine (few scrapes underneath). Elephant Hill looks tougher though.

OP
OP
toutenhoofd

toutenhoofd

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Web Designer
Bump. Did you try it @toutenhoofd ? I have been wanting to try this also. I did the Maze / Flint Trail out as far as the Wall last year in the Gladiator with stock 33s and it was fine (few scrapes underneath). Elephant Hill looks tougher though.
I don't actually own a Gladiator yet - I'm still driving my Tacoma. I'd be more excited to put down a deposit on a diesel Gladiator Rubicon if I knew it would do fine on Elephant Hill with 35s and a 2-3" lift. I've done Flint Trail and I remember it being much more tame than Elephant Hill. I remember Teapot Canyon in the Maze being a much tougher challenge.

My Tacoma has a 2.5" lift and 33s. I'm hoping that 35s on a Gladiator will make up for the longer wheelbase and that the breakover angle would be similar to my Tacoma.

If you tackle Elephant Hill, let me know. If you camp at Devil's Kitchen, campsite #4 is by far the best.

Cheers

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
I haven't done it in a Gladiator but I have done it in a stock JLU. That pinch point towards the confluence over look might get you with the wheel base. Right where you go up hill and make the left turn to come out on the road behind there. I made it pretty easy going out but coming back I had to give it a nudge.

That would be the only section I could think of that would cause you fits. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but you should be fine. :)

20180521_151324.jpg

IMG_20180522_073646_449.jpg

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
I would do Elephant Hill if anyone is Interested, Be in Monticello, Utah till October have Rubicon with 2.5" Lift & 37"s

OP
OP
toutenhoofd

toutenhoofd

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Web Designer
I would do Elephant Hill if anyone is Interested, Be in Monticello, Utah till October have Rubicon with 2.5" Lift & 37"s
I hope someone takes you up on this. I'm guessing that with 37s on a Gladiator Rubicon you'll be fine. I've always wanted to try exiting through Bobby's Hole, which I've never done. Someone told me that Bobby's Hole can be next to impossible without a winch if it's wet and muddy, but that otherwise it's not bad. Here's a random YouTube video I found of it:

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
I have done it Two Times with Sylvester my Gladiator - There is one Place on the way to the Confluence Gave me a small Degree of Problem, it was Breakover, Just watch your Tire Placement and place it high up on right side. Backing up & Down the Switch Backs was not as bad as Expected, Just take your Time - I think a 35 and 3.5" lift would be bare minimum for a Gladiator. This Trail is a Rock, Your going over a Rock - Around a Rock or off a Rock and it is alot of Fun. Be here till Oct 1st would be willing to go again

Sponsored

OP
OP
toutenhoofd

toutenhoofd

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Web Designer
I have done it Two Times with Sylvester my Gladiator - There is one Place on the way to the Confluence Gave me a small Degree of Problem, it was Breakover, Just watch your Tire Placement and place it high up on right side. Backing up & Down the Switch Backs was not as bad as Expected, Just take your Time - I think a 35 and 3.5" lift would be bare minimum for a Gladiator. This Trail is a Rock, Your going over a Rock - Around a Rock or off a Rock and it is alot of Fun. Be here till Oct 1st would be willing to go again
Do you worry about stressing your axles running 37s and rock crawling?

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
No - Key is Light Rims & Tires I Have Tera-flex Nomads & Toyo RT's. Truck runs Like a Champ we Did Poughkeepsie Gulch Including the Wall over the weekend. Sylvester is a Bad Ass

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
The Toyo's weigh 78lbs & Nomads are 37lbs - I have not Re-geared I drive 70 to 85 on Interstate

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
@toutenhoofd so you think Teapot Canyon was tougher than Elephant Hill? I did Teapot last year in my stock Rubicon Gladiator and it was fine. couple of scrapes on the hitch, 1 on the rear fender, nothing major or visible unless you look underneath. We went down Flint then down Teapot Canyon, past Mother and Child and as far as The Wall. We did not go all the way to the Dollhouse. After 2 nights at the Wall went back out Teapot and then out Sunset Pass and across the Dirty Devil and out.

Anyway, from the videos I saw on YouTube, I was more intimidated by Elephant Hill than the Maze, so I am encouraged if you think Teapot was harder :). I had hoped to try EH this October but it is fully booked. Maybe next year. My plan is to go in EH and then out Bobby's Hole to the south and then east. Was curious if I would need to go to 35s or 37s and a 2 inch lift to do that. Something I have been reluctant to do.
Sponsored