Enclosing the bed with a bed rack

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I've run into a very odd issue. You've all probably seen the leitner active cargo and rci offroad racksright? They're great for attacking useful accessories and carrying your outdoor toys but how do you keep water out of the bed? I called 3 companies and they said they get that question and have no idea. One days try marine covers. Being in MD I had no trouble finding marine cover companies. I tried 5 that do custom work. They all asked for the info on the racks and said they'd look into it. It's been many weeks and not one has gotten back to me. I really thought this would be a great way to get the rack I want instead of a very expensive canopy and only put in some sort of internal cover on the underside of the rack when needed but I guess not. Am I missing something? Should I just learn to sew?
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I've run into a very odd issue. You've all probably seen the leitner active cargo and rci offroad racksright? They're great for attacking useful accessories and carrying your outdoor toys but how do you keep water out of the bed? I called 3 companies and they said they get that question and have no idea. One days try marine covers. Being in MD I had no trouble finding marine cover companies. I tried 5 that do custom work. They all asked for the info on the racks and said they'd look into it. It's been many weeks and not one has gotten back to me. I really thought this would be a great way to get the rack I want instead of a very expensive canopy and only put in some sort of internal cover on the underside of the rack when needed but I guess not. Am I missing something? Should I just learn to sew?
There are a few of us trying to do similar things... I think we are going at it in different ways. @kayakmike @steffen707 come to mind right away. They’ve got posts about their approaches... mine is still getting hashed out...

The short answer is, this is all too new...

I think what we are waiting for is the aftermarket to catch up. There will hopefully be better designed tonneau covers that take racks into account. If you search the internet’s there are some folks with the leitner (with other picks up) that have found a tonneau that fits. So we should, in the next few year, hopefully sooner, see some bolt on stuff.

But clearly, some of us don’t want to wait. So you just might have to learn how to sew...

Have you seen the nuthouse industries rack? They have an option where you add a coiling cover, or a fixed cover that has removable panels. I’m not sure if the coiling cover will make it to the gladiator, but the removable panels will for sure. It’s a simple concept.