Engine Break In Procedure?

1. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 2010 Grand Caravan, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    Liked:
    What's the engine break in procedure if you're planning to own long term and not lease for just 2 years? lol

2. Sorbs

Sorbs Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian & Sunny
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator LE, 2018 2dr JLR 6-SPD, 2015 Hellcat Challenger, 2015 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee,
    Liked:
    I found this on the JL forum:

Owner's manual states:

1. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
    2. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
    3. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

jhale1800 likes this.
  3. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    Also...

JLenginebreakin.jpg

4. RedTRex

RedTRex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    300 miles now..... Use to be 1000, No WOT, stay below 5K rpm, and oil change required. Then dropped to 500. Tolerances and lubricants are getting better so I guess this is a good thing.

5. Malarkey21

Malarkey21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler, 2018 Ram 1500
    Liked:
    Another important thing is do NOT do the first oil change early! Engine oil from the plant has special additive packages to help coat and protect the engine and also aid with break in. Best to drive it until the oil change required light comes on.

steffen707 likes this.
  6. jncomatrix

jncomatrix Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2006 Tacoma Xrunner, 2003 Matrix XRS,
    Liked:
    Commercial Vehicle Director
    after the "breakin" period and going to the first oil change, I plan on swapping it out for full synthetic. I have done this with all my new vehicles and have put 200000 plus on then by doing so, even changing oil and filter every 5000 miles with synthetic. Has anyone else done this on this motor?

7. RedTRex

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Very good point, that is the other thing manufacturers started doing in the last 10 years or so.

8. beelzebot

beelzebot Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 JKU
    Liked:
    I've been doing that on my Pentastar JK and I'm close to 90k miles with no issues for years now. Had an oil pump replaced under warranty early on, but it still had the factory oil at the time.

9. Hootbro

Hootbro Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler JK Sport
    Liked:
    Debatable that actual special break in oil is installed at the factory. Never seen a general consensus on this claim or factual proof that any special oil other than normal bulk API and whatever manufacturer spec oil is provided to the factory and factory filled. A lot of the oil analysis of factory filled oil and higher molybdenum, zinc and other tradition anti-wear additives present can easily be explained to the assembly lubes used in manufacturing for first startup protection and not necessarily from the bulk factory fill oil itself.

I do agree that the factory fill is suitable to the first scheduled oil change and early replacement is just a placebo affect warm fuzzy feeling situation for most users.

10. RedTRex

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Probably so, bu they all claim "special additives" in the factory fill nowadays...... could just be to gimmick us.

Hootbro likes this.
  11. Malarkey21

Malarkey21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler, 2018 Ram 1500
    Liked:
    Well to me it doesn't look like pentastars are put together with much assembly lube.

12. smlobx

smlobx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 EcoDiesel, 2016 F-350
    Liked:

I’m sorry but this is flat out wrong...

The initial oil put in at the factory is the same thing you buy at your local auto parts store.

I built a home for a leading scientist with Ethyl Oil Company. They make the additive packages for most of your major oil companies and he told me that the best brake in procedure for modern engines is to follow the break in procedure in your Manual and change the oil at around 2000 miles after the various metal components have had a chance to mate to each other.

The old myth of running a break in oil (usually a straight weight oil) no longer applies with the improvements in oil composition and better machining.