FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
  • Banned
Really hoping for some engine options for 2023. Been holding off on upgrading thinking we may get the inline 6 or some other type of engine upgrade. Any ideas or rumors out there?
Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Unfortunately, based on sales numbers (low market share compared to wrangler and other mid size trucks) I'm reasonably confident we are probably not going to see the Hurricane or anything interesting.

We can hope though...

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
IF there is a powertrain change, imo it will be a year or two after the Wrangler gets it. As others have stated, there's a chance the 2023 refresh sees no changes.

As others have said, the Gladiator sells well but overall its a drop in the bucket compared to JL sales. This means smaller R&D budgets, etc.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order books are already open on 2023 Wrangler. No engine changes.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
IF there is a powertrain change, imo it will be a year or two after the Wrangler gets it. As others have stated, there's a chance the 2023 refresh sees no changes.

As others have said, the Gladiator sells well but overall its a drop in the bucket compared to JL sales. This means smaller R&D budgets, etc.
Right, any change to the engine means all sorts of recertifications - for emissions, for collision, and more. They can't just drop a different engine in. And because it's a truck, there goes those SAE tests again for payload and towing. Would they do all of that for the numbers this past year? Not likely.
An engine change is very costly in certifications, testing and engineering. That mass under the hood makes a huge difference in things.

Besides, it's already been stated the hemi won't be going into any new places. Where it "might have gone" the I6 would go instead, but for the reasons I mentioned above - I don't look for that, either.
They are having enough trouble building what they've got going on already.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
From the media sources I read, won't be till 2024-25 before we see anything new/refreshed. I6 turbo expected '24 and 4xe '24-'25. BUT, these media sources are mostly speculation as nothing has been definitively said or written in stone, yet. My lease is up next Nov. Hopefully 4xe at least will be released, otherwise, swapping out for diesel. Especially since new tacoma is expected '24...

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
Right, any change to the engine means all sorts of recertifications - for emissions, for collision, and more. They can't just drop a different engine in. And because it's a truck, there goes those SAE tests again for payload and towing. Would they do all of that for the numbers this past year? Not likely.
An engine change is very costly in certifications, testing and engineering. That mass under the hood makes a huge difference in things.

Besides, it's already been stated the hemi won't be going into any new places. Where it "might have gone" the I6 would go instead, but for the reasons I mentioned above - I don't look for that, either.
They are having enough trouble building what they've got going on already.
I'm with you on this. I was hoping for a hemi option. But recall the information was that was not going to be offered. Sometimes I even wish they wouldn't offer/add what they have: start/stop, all the buzzers and beeps that I am driving wrong, etc:). Ok, now I sound like an old guy going on about the old jeep he had and how life was so perfect then...

Someday...maybe...and only if I can convince my wife, the hemi swap is what I might do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with you on this. I was hoping for a hemi option. But recall the information was that was not going to be offered. Sometimes I even wish they wouldn't offer/add what they have: start/stop, all the buzzers and beeps that I am driving wrong, etc:). Ok, now I sound like an old guy going on about the old jeep he had and how life was so perfect then...

Someday...maybe...and only if I can convince my wife, the hemi swap is what I might do.
If these were going to come with the I6 for the 2023 model year, I could have waited on getting a new one. But I saw the writing on the wall and figured no reason to wait.
I'd jump on another I6 in a heartbeat.

Hey, careful there, I AM the old guy and I loved my prior cars and Jeeps and whatever.
I see even my brother is looking back now and then - he texted me a picture ............ and asked "look familiar??"
Oh, heck yes. A caravelle blue 1968 Javelin like I had for several years (and then I bought a new AMX, sold him my 68 for 200 bucks, he drove it about 3 years or so and sold it for a grand!)
I REALLY wish I hadn't sold my 70 in 2019 but then I needed that money to buy this Gladiator, so - can't have it all, I guess. Choices.
Now, I am going to ask my brother why he asked the seller of the 68 he sent me a pic of for a copy of their appraisal sheets for that car - OK, brother - why would you do that?
Well, if he ends up with it, I do have a 343 sitting in my shop with NOS high compression pistons and heads and the hi-perf intake for it........

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I am just not a fan of forced induction in jeep.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the future. The NA engine is going to go away.
Forced induction is the future - one of the few ways the ICE can survive. It's an economical way to increase torque and HP.
In fact, one company has achieved 800 HP out of a Jeep 4.0
Likely it wouldn't live long at that rate, but man, if they could give me 500 or 600 hp out of the 4.0, I'd be doing some serious thinking.

This below is the same engine that came in many 1970s Jeeps............ (well, minus the hardware on the top, of course LOL)

Jeep Gladiator Engine options for 2023 20210911_153657_HDR

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I've always loved it. One of the main reasons I got the Gladiator was the turbo diesel. I had 2 supercharged JK's and loved them both. I enjoy building and using them, so much more fun with boost. Helps so much on the highway and makes daily driving an enjoyable experience.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
they didn't have diesel when i got my '21 Rubicon. I will admit I wish we had looked for it. Especially since 3 months after we got it gas skyrocketed. Either way I am very happy with what i got. more power is always better and if i was to choose one I'd go SC over turbo.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Or they could simply offer an optional diff gear ratio or two. Much of the benefit w/o the certification requirements.
Agree 100% on this. Really seems like a no brainer. I think they already allow for you to chose this for the JL with either 4.56 or 4.88 (depending on various packages). Easy money for them for a quick upcharge on the ordering with no additional work on their end, and really good value for the customer checking that box on a custom order (versus cracking that diff open aftermarket and throwing away the gears you paid for...).
Sponsored