First Name:
    Memphis
    Vehicle(s):
    Tesla M3P, Jeep DJTR
    Liked:
    #1 Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Thanks for alerting us @Oilburner.

Wrangler EcoDiesel MPG officially rated 22 city / 29 highway / 25 combined.

just a comparison. Based on this chart I anticipate the gladiator to be rated at 29 hwy, 21 city and 24 combined.

B9E2CC9E-E2C5-4472-A175-FC13378A8477.png

test drives soon!

Billy and Karnaj like this.
  2. Billy

Billy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1997 TJ, 2008 WK CRD
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #2 Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    Excited2.gif

3. Flmthwr65

Flmthwr65 New Member

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    Gladiator rubicon
    Liked:
    Didn't buy my gladiator for gas mileage. I bought it to be able to crawl over traffic jams if need be.

Digger70, max toe, SMLDave and 2 others like this.
  4. GLADY8R

GLADY8R New Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    USPS Maintenance Electronic Technician
    I concur, ooh-ah !

max toe likes this.
  5. RecoveringBanker

RecoveringBanker Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    St. Clair, Michigan (45 Min North of Detroit)
    Liked:
    There's a reason there's a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for Gen 2 EcoDisel Owners, the engine is garbage. Now, before all you Keyboard Cowboys jump all over me, hear me out. This is the THIRD GENERATION EcoDIEsel, now this COULD BE the very best engine ever built by FCA/Jeep, however, it could also be the ABSOLUTE WORST engine ever put into a Jeep. BUT nobody will know for sure until they're on the roads for a couple years and they really get used and we see what happens. Yeah, there's an insane amount of torque, and yeah they're much better on fuel, but there's all kinds of added costs and maintenance that people don't think about, not to mention in the super cold parts of the country/world like DETROIT, MICHIGAN where it was about 10 degrees out today. Now, I've dealt with EcoDiesel on and off with a few friends and some love it, some hate it. Time will only tell, and if you've got the guts to risk spending 65K+ on a loaded Gladiator with a new version of a engine, good for you. But it'll be interesting to see what happens. Also, I hate the Pentastar, its a great engine, plant of power, good on fuel and pretty reliable with all the other vehicles that have had it, but its JUST TO MILD AND BORING. ITS LIKE DRIVING A VACUUM CLEANER. 6.4L Swap is the #1 upgrade we will do with out #MallKrawlin' Gladiator. Anyway, had to pipe in.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.25.44 PM.png

Reeb65 likes this.
  6. RecoveringBanker

RecoveringBanker Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    St. Clair, Michigan (45 Min North of Detroit)
    Liked:
    And before you say anything else, we towed NEARLY 8,000 POUNDS to Panama City Beach, Florida and back from Detroit with NO BRAKE CONTROLLER. Obviously that's 1,000 over the limit, also we had a RACING LAWN MOWER in the bed and 3 adult men.

http://GladiatorGang.com/Review if you want to see some crazy stuff we've done.

Gladiator Towing FrankenBrute.png

Digger70, Ian cj10, max toe and 4 others like this.
  7. Reeb65

Reeb65 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    #7 Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    My wife has a diesel in her Land Rover Discovery. It has been a great engine and is smooth as butter but the extra maintenance costs are out of control not to mention the additional purchase cost. I believe this will be true for the Gladiator as well. Yes the fuel mileage is awesome but the diesels have a long way to go before they actually provide a cost benefit. I personally like the V6 but agree a V8 would be a cool choice...maybe bring back the 318.

futzin' likes this.
  8. Oilburner

Oilburner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2016 GC Ecodiesel
    Liked:
    Anyone who thinks you can buy a diesel 'to save money' is barking up the wrong tree, especially if you don't do your own maintenance.

Hootbro likes this.
  9. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    Exactly par for the course. 24 MPG combined is what diesel Jeeps were getting 15 years ago. That's about what you can expect from any midsize diesel 4x4.

So,

1,500 miles per month / 24 miles per gallon = 62.5 gallons per month @ $3.05/gallon = $190.63 per month

1,500 miles per month / 19 miles per gallon = 78.9 gallons per month @ $2.45/gallon = $193.31 per month

Difference is $2.68 per month. At $6,000 (diesel option plus required automatic trans. upgrade) it would take 186 years to break even on the money spent.

*Fuel prices based on national averages per the EIA. Years to break even point doesn't consider added diesel maintenance and repair costs.

SleepyJeep likes this.
  10. max toe

max toe Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
    Liked:
    I peaked recently at 21.5, then it dropped a tad lately, but thats first 1k miles on my Rubicon JL for comparison

SleepyJeep likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Memphis
    Vehicle(s):
    Tesla M3P, Jeep DJTR
    Liked:

I couldn’t care less about fuel mileage day to day. It’s the extended trips off-road and torque to drive 38s with authority. VS a Hemi swap its $20k cheaper. The only reason I posted the mileage is because that means wranglers are now shipping with them. I’ll make my decision after a test drive

JP1 likes this.
  12. smlobx

smlobx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle(s):
    WK2 Ecodiesel, F-350 Diesel, Gladiator Rubicon, GT3 RS, 986S
    Liked:
    Semi retired consultant
    I have had diesel’s my whole adult life...

I find it amusing that people push the notion that diesels aren’t cost effective... who in the HELL ever buys a diesel to save money?? They/we buy diesels for the power/torque and the range ...discussing anything else is just stupid.

BTW my wife drives an Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee and loves it. Yes it had some issues but it is the vehicle we take on longer trips as we get almost 30 mpg on the highway which just means we stop when we want to not when the suv says so.

The only reason I didn’t wait to get the diesel in this truck is that we intend to drive it into Mexico and possibly Central America where ULSD is not commonly available. That’s the only reason.

13. JTRUBI

JTRUBI Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    Jk rubicon
    Liked:
    it’s been a while since I posted, and if I'm not mistaken weren’t you the guy that was going to have a twin turbo EcoDiesel build on 42s by Sema 2019? But then it didn’t happen and now you don’t like the EcoDiesel ?

You run that Gladiator Gang Instagram page right ?

Southbayglad and max toe like this.
  14. 3-pedal-Rub

3-pedal-Rub Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    YJ, Acura TL, 4runner, Buell lightning, Gladiator
    Liked:
    Imagine the mileage without all the emissions choking it up. Straight pipe and intake on my 08 duramax gained me 6 mpg... if I could keep my foot out of it.

15. Ian cj10

Ian cj10 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ian
    Vehicle(s):
    1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
    Liked:
    mate love the rig on the trailer is that a cj10 cab