Sponsored

ESS light after genesis dual battery kit.

Kg4rrx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Atc
I installed the genesis kit last week and now the ESS light is constantly on. It doesn't go through cycles but comes on after 30 seconds.

I have a taser and position of the on/off button doesn't matter.

As far as I know I hooked everything up correctly, including wrapping the factory ground off the aux battery and leaving it disconnected. Should this cable be connected somewhere?

The rest of the jeep runs fine, I'm just tired of looking at the light.

Also, what voltages is everyone seeing going down the road? I hold steady at 12.9-13 on the throttle and at idle. Coasting see jumps up to 13.8, but only for a few seconds.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I still got the regular stock batteries and I see 12.8 to 14.2 normally.

Blizzard

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2022
if i'm reading their faq right (link below) after 6 ess events the warning light will come on as the system detects voltages are not what they are expected to be... i.e. no more tiny battery, etc. an ess event is any time ess is active.
if you disable ess, there are no ess events and the light never comes on. did not see any way to prevent the light without disabling ess.

https://www.genesisoffroad.com/jt-dual-battery-kit

Jeep Gladiator ESS light after genesis dual battery kit. 1662301367294

Jeep Gladiator ESS light after genesis dual battery kit. 1662301402959

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So does this mean that if you want to use the Genesis system, you must disable ESS??

OP
OP

Kg4rrx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Atc
I believe I have this figured out, and it wasn't an installation issue. The weekend prior we had the doors off for GSMJI. I originally had the light come on after putting the doors back on and before installing the genesis, I assumed that it was the aux battery going bad but instead I must have a bent pin in the door wiring which is somehow connected to the ESS system.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I have this figured out, and it wasn't an installation issue. The weekend prior we had the doors off for GSMJI. I originally had the light come on after putting the doors back on and before installing the genesis, I assumed that it was the aux battery going bad but instead I must have a bent pin in the door wiring which is somehow connected to the ESS system.
Not "somehow" - it IS connected as it will not stop the engine for ESS events if it detects the door is open.
So your door connector mishap was telling ESS hey, a door is open, and maybe other funky stuff.

So does this mean that if you want to use the Genesis system, you must disable ESS??
Not necessarily..........

I hold steady at 12.9-13 on the throttle and at idle. Coasting see jumps up to 13.8, but only for a few seconds.
Depending on the State of Charge (SoC) of your batteries, that may be too low by quite a bit.
If the batteries are not fully charged, you should see pretty regular numbers up in the mid-14s.
~13.0 is not atypical for a pair of 100% fully charged batteries when needing power - sometimes less - as the PCM will cut the field current to the alternator to save engine power if it doesn't need to charge the batteries.

The voltage will be in the 14s for batteries that are low on charge, and into the 12s for fully charged batteries.
It will vary based on engine load and the need for power/torque.

Never install batteries into these vehicles that are not 100% fully charged by a proper AGM charger that has gone through all phases of the charging cycle. Then when the batteries have been fully charged by a proper charger and are 100%, if not already done, reset the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) before installing it on the new batteries.
Installing these Genesis systems takes long enough to do, with things all disconnected, the IBS should be reset by the time you put the fully charged batteries in as it only takes a few minutes with the IBS disconnected to reset it to defaults.
It will then learn with the new batteries.

OP
OP

Kg4rrx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Atc
Depending on the State of Charge (SoC) of your batteries, that may be too low by quite a bit.
If the batteries are not fully charged, you should see pretty regular numbers up in the mid-14s.
~13.0 is not atypical for a pair of 100% fully charged batteries when needing power - sometimes less - as the PCM will cut the field current to the alternator to save engine power if it doesn't need to charge the batteries.
I should say that I was showing that 13V number after driving about 200 miles... I'll have to check it again right after restarting.

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Just jumping into this now, so are you saying you do NOT have the ESS light on, and the ESS system is working, after fixing your bent pin? I just found those questions on the Genesis site myself and I don't want to disable ESS or drive around with a warning light on.

macgyvr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT 04 LJ 18 F150 16 RV 3 trailers
Occupation
Public service
I’m having this issue.

Here is how it starts up.
Ess is off because Taser

I also just put the doors back on.

mac ‘dislike seeing idiot lights’ gyvr

Sponsored

macgyvr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Public service
I suspect a bent pin on a door connector. The combination of autopark and auto start stop message really points to that for me.
agreed

got home from dinner and found bent pin. Fixed and all good

mac ‘back in business’ gyvr

IMG_9031.jpeg

mwill41

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Were you able to detach the harness from the body of the Jeep?

macgyvr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Public service
Were you able to detach the harness from the body of the Jeep?
Great question.

That was last fall and I don't recall.

I will have the doors off again soon. I'll try to take a look.

mac 'drank since then' gyvr
Sponsored