Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Opinions...
Personally I don't care for it. Thankfully on the 18 WK2, it's defeatable.
Just north of the gear selector next to the other 6 buttons and right in the middle.
So I can give it the middle finger before shifting out of park.
Not interested in exercising my starter over and over in stop and go traffic.
Wondering if it's going to be defeatable like this in the JT?
I think I had heard it was going to be a mandatory non-defeatable feature in the future.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Opinions...
Just north of the gear selector next to the other 6 buttons and right in the middle.
I think I had heard it was going to be a mandatory non-defeatable feature in the future.
Any thoughts?
There will be a button to turn it off, however every time you restart the vehicle you will have to push the button again as it will default back to on. Also the starter is suppose to be strengthen and beefed up to combat the extra use. Time will tell how well that works. There are reports that it does improve MPGs be a decent amount for city driving. Having never used ESS I will reserve judgement until I try it. Obviously MPGs are not my driving factor in the purchase, but that is not to say I don't care about them at all.

There are also plenty of write ups on how to permanently disable ESS on the JL forum if you feel the need.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
There will be a button to turn it off, however every time you restart the vehicle you will have to push the button again as it will default back to on. Also the starter is suppose to be strengthen and beefed up to combat the extra use. Time will tell how well that works. There are reports that it does improve MPGs be a decent amount for city driving. Having never used ESS I will reserve judgement until I try it. Obviously MPGs are not my driving factor in the purchase, but that is not to say I don't care about them at all.

There are also plenty of write ups on how to permanently disable ESS on the JL forum if you feel the need.
I know there is a plug in module to defeat the feature all the time.
But for $120 US, I will just use my finger and push the button at start up, it's already become
a normal habit.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Opinions...
Any thoughts?
I don't have it on my '14 WK2.

My wife does on her XC60. Unless you are trying to punch it off the line, the lag is minimal. She can disable it, but doesn't.

I would definitely want to disable it if off-roading. Would hate to have the engine turn off while in the middle of climbing something.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Oh goody another ESS thread - :) - I have inputs, can I play ?
1st to qualify I gotta be honest, I'm a "tree Hugger" in it's broadest definition - since "Earth Day #1" ! So, my G.C. 3.6 w/ESS is something I was hoping would help me cut down on gasoline use and polluting the air we all must breath (in order to enjoy our off roading in our jeeps) ! Turns out it DOES do that, surprise to me, but I'm less than happy with the %-rate of WORKING ! Not in working "properly," just working CONSISTENTLY ! See, I believe the smaller "ESS dedicated Battery" is well, Under Powered and thus can't keep up with the demand on OFF/ON/OFF/ON at every stop light ! That is, when the ESS Battery is not Fully Charged, the System does not function . Blame me I suppose, for not taking the Jeep out of the garage often enough and driving it enough during cold weather ? As you know Cold Weather drains batteries that sit around for a few days ! So damned if I do & damned if I don't (pollute) ? :headbang: So, when it's not working, early on in the driving, I do turn it off before I back out of the garage (press the button) . But, after about an hour of continuous driving (few lights) I turn it back on and wait to see if the center-dash indicates "battery fully charged/ESS ready" or something to those words ! If yes I leave it ON and I feel I'm contributing to everyones well being ! :like:

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Hey I no
I don't have it on my '14 WK2.

My wife does on her XC60. Unless you are trying to punch it off the line, the lag is minimal. She can disable it, but doesn't.

I would definitely want to disable it if off-roading. Would hate to have the engine turn off while in the middle of climbing something.
Hey I noticed in your avatar you are pulling a TT. 3.6 or 5.7?
And does it perform?
Looks about the same size trailer as mine which is 4400 dry.
I have yet try my 3.6 out, and am somewhat skeptical it can handle hills, without being "that" guy crawling up the slope slowly.
Btw, air suspension or self adjusting shocks?
Thanks.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Hey I noticed in your avatar you are pulling a TT. 3.6 or 5.7?
And does it perform?
Looks about the same size trailer as mine which is 4400 dry.
I have yet try my 3.6 out, and am somewhat skeptical it can handle hills, without being "that" guy crawling up the slope slowly.
Btw, air suspension or self adjusting shocks?
Thanks.
EcoDiesel. Tows like a dream even up hills, and I work paddle shifters to keep RPMs happy. It's about 4800 lb empty, but loaded with 2 quads, Yamaha Rhino, water and our stuff it's north of 7000 lb.

It's a shame the JT diesel will have less towing capacity than the 3.6, but after all of the diesel-gate exhaust issues I've had, I'm not going for another FCA diesel again, especially the same EcoDiesel.

I have the off-road/adventure package, so it has auto air adjustable ride height and self levels.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I think this is one of those contentious topics that splits forums, social media, the internet and even friendships from time to time. There are a lot of threads on all kinds of forums about this. This is the second here, maybe even the third - and of course, it gets mentioned in other threads from time to time...

I do care about the earth, and I would like to believe that I do my part to take care of it. I have a hard time believing ESS can make a difference on anything but V8s and up. The possible saving in emissions, which I personally think is not significant, does not give me enough warm fuzzys to assume the risk of it not starting when I need it to for my safety and that of the passengers in my car.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure we can produce numbers both ways. Proving one way and proving the other.
To me car companies are doing what they can to respond to emissions regulations. Which, is good, but, unfortunately, they've done it in sneaky and not so legal ways.
Are those emissions regulations truly going to help? I'm not an expert, I have no idea.
Is it a conspiracy (where's that meme? lol) - I have no idea.

Much like many other choices we make in life, what I can say is, right now, I don't feel that it works for me and my family. So, for now, I'll disable it.

If it becomes "mandatory" - I'll follow the law and I'll learn to live with it.

ps to really derail this conversation - this makes me think about an airplane manufacturer building a system to help pilots recover from flight issues, and then that system, along with some other faults, causing larger problems. I'm not passing judgement, just pointing out that even when someone convinces us that things should be one way, well, we realize that perhaps it should not have been... at least not yet...

Sponsored

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Don’t have it in any of my current vehicles. Had it on a rental a few weeks back and I’d like to disable it on the JT.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think this is one of those contentious topics that splits forums, social media, the internet and even friendships from time to time. There are a lot of threads on all kinds of forums about this. This is the second here, maybe even the third - and of course, it gets mentioned in other threads from time to time...

I do care about the earth, and I would like to believe that I do my part to take care of it. I have a hard time believing ESS can make a difference on anything but V8s and up. The possible saving in emissions, which I personally think is not significant, does not give me enough warm fuzzys to assume the risk of it not starting when I need it to for my safety and that of the passengers in my car.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure we can produce numbers both ways. Proving one way and proving the other.
To me car companies are doing what they can to respond to emissions regulations. Which, is good, but, unfortunately, they've done it in sneaky and not so legal ways.
Are those emissions regulations truly going to help? I'm not an expert, I have no idea.
Is it a conspiracy (where's that meme? lol) - I have no idea.

Much like many other choices we make in life, what I can say is, right now, I don't feel that it works for me and my family. So, for now, I'll disable it.

If it becomes "mandatory" - I'll follow the law and I'll learn to live with it.

ps to really derail this conversation - this makes me think about an airplane manufacturer building a system to help pilots recover from flight issues, and then that system, along with some other faults, causing larger problems. I'm not passing judgement, just pointing out that even when someone convinces us that things should be one way, well, we realize that perhaps it should not have been... at least not yet...
no idea about ESS, but my pacifica can charge the battery 1-2% from braking. Can't remember if that was 80 to 0 or 50 to 0, i'll have to check tomorrow.
But with a decent commute, that is a lot of electricity. Electricity miles is cheaper than gasoline miles. Not sure about the environmental impact.

Can't wait for a plug in hybrid Gladiator.

Rubigator PIHG = Rubicon Gator Plug In Hybrid Gladiator, lol

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"