ESS - never works

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’ve had my Gladiator for about 7 months and I’ve only had the ESS work a few times during that time. When I remember to check, the HUD in the center dash always gives me a Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message. During my first oil change I mentioned the issue to the service advisor - they did i a quick scan on the OBD2 port and didn’t see any faults so they don’t think there is an issue. Does anyone have anyway I can try troubleshooting this issue at home?

Advertisement

OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’ll give it a shot. If I charge and the ESS works, am I then looking at a bad alternator?

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
... probably bad AUX battery. have it changed

Delhux

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I’ve had my Gladiator for about 7 months and I’ve only had the ESS work a few times during that time. When I remember to check, the HUD in the center dash always gives me a Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message. During my first oil change I mentioned the issue to the service advisor - they did i a quick scan on the OBD2 port and didn’t see any faults so they don’t think there is an issue. Does anyone have anyway I can try troubleshooting this issue at home?
The Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message originates from the battery sensor reporting that the main battery is charging. Start by checking the ground cables at the main battery, temporarily unplug the battery sensor to reset it and try charging the batteries. You can also ask the dealer to load test the batteries.

BamaJeepTruck

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tire wholesale
If only mine would do this lol I cant stand the start/stop. I also cant for the life of me imagine it not causing increased wear on the engine.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
It’s the aux battery. Mine had the same issue. In fact mine didn’t work right off the lot. They said I needed to drive it to charge it. Anyway, it worked half ass, but gradually got worse and worse and then finally died at 3,000 miles. When I pulled it, there was water at the bottom of the tray. Somehow water leaks down into the battery compartment. I don’t know if this is what ruined mine or not. I pulled it myself when I installed the Genesis dual battery kit. The POS aux battery is a known issue across multiple FCA models and the dealer should fix it. They can remove the liner in the passenger wheel well to access it. It shouldn’t be a big deal. Charging it isn’t going to fix it. It needs to be replaced. As others have said, many hate the feature, but when you do a lot of city driving, it does work well. Good luck.

Advertisement

Advertisement