ESS Question……

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubi 2 door, 23 Gladiator.......
Hello and thank you for your help…………. “””” Is there any truth to the statement that is made often in all these posts that if you have your ESS button shut off most of the time that your ESS battery will not charge up correctly?””””” P.S. I have a Tazer on my Jeep that automatically shuts off the taser.
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So for me personally on 2 different jeeps if I left it off through the tazer I had issues with both jeeps and the ESS battery. Now I don’t disable it and haven’t had a issue yet but this is just what I have seen

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So for me personally on 2 different jeeps if I left it off through the tazer I had issues with both jeeps and the ESS battery. Now I don’t disable it and haven’t had a issue yet but this is just what I have seen
Can you further explain your issues that you had. Thanks.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Basically ESS failed and had to get the batteries replaced twice on my JL and once so far on the JT so I no longer disable it

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Basically ESS failed and had to get the batteries replaced twice on my JL and once so far on the JT so I no longer disable it
What was the timeframe on failure? I disable mine regularly and so far 🤞 been a year and a half. Yeah I forget to turn it off periodically. Most times it's within 5 minutes of driving when I turn it off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW! And thank you for explaining. We have two Jeeps also, my wife has a 2022 wrangler E-torque with NO ESS battery and my 2023 JT, I pretty sure has a ESS battery… which I will confirm today-tomorrow………. I’m just really trying to fully understand the ESS system and once again thank you for your reply.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was the timeframe on failure? I disable mine regularly and so far 🤞 been a year and a half. Yeah I forget to turn it off periodically. Most times it's within 5 minutes of driving when I turn it off.
I am under the assumption you are not running a tazer? With the Tazer it is off pretty much 100% of the time.

Jimmij

First Name
Jimmij
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator overland, 2004 Honda s2000
i am on my second battery replacement an don’t turn off the ess. Both covered under warranty thankfully

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I am under the assumption you are not running a tazer? With the Tazer it is off pretty much 100% of the time.
No Tazer correct.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hello and thank you for your help…………. “””” Is there any truth to the statement that is made often in all these posts that if you have your ESS button shut off most of the time that your ESS battery will not charge up correctly?””””” P.S. I have a Tazer on my Jeep that automatically shuts off the taser.
Whether or not you use ESS has no effect on charging of the batteries. The biggest problem is the batteries discharging since there is always a load on them. Those that drive regularly, especially longer trips, are going to have less issues. Those that drive short trips, or let the truck sit for days at a time, are more likely to have battery issues. The ESS system is not a problem for the batteries, but can be used as a diagnostic tool to indicate potential problems. If you start having ESS issues, it is time to take a look at the condition of the batteries. Jeep does not put the highest quality batteries in at the factory, it just costs to much to do so. They have also had multiple runs of batteries that fail early. Batteries are affected by environment and use. I got over three years out of the main battery, and am still using the original ESS battery.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a Tazer almost immediately after purchase to disable ESS. Rarely if ever turn on ESS - occasionally just to check it. Going on three years now without any issues. But now that I’ve said something I have probably jinxed myself.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed a Tazer almost immediately after purchase to disable ESS. Rarely if ever turn on ESS - occasionally just to check it. Going on three years now without any issues. But now that I’ve said something I have probably jinxed myself.
Lol……. I will take the jinx away from you…. Because “””””””””I’m that guy””””””””””

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also…… do you have an opinion or have you done your homework on the jumper cable that they sell for about five bucks that you could easily make yourself but it’s easier to buy that. It goes from post “N1” into “N2” I believe, it has a fuse in line on it.

7EA025E9-45A9-4DF4-B503-27B42FB5FB2D.jpeg
Sponsored