Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Be careful @WhatExit? These videos will cause you to sell your Ridge Grapplers and drop $1,000 on some new Patagonia MTs!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful @WhatExit? These videos will cause you to sell your Ridge Grapplers and drop $1,000 on some new Patagonia MTs!
Well, the truth is I'm running Toyo Open Country R/T's and I picked them because I expect almost every off road tire will perform well on the road and off - in the conditions I run which is NOT typically in snow or mud.

I am interested in learning more about these other tires that I'm seeing here - the new-to-me brands like Patagonia. But honestly I can't imagine most of us would feel/experience a noticeable difference in desert and trail performance even with your "giant" 38's compared to my "puny 37's" ;)

I've got Toyo's reputation, mileage guarantee and Discount Tire's replacement and service. I'm pretty comfortable with the black round tires I'm running and I see no reason to worry about the performance of Toyos versus Patagonias.

PS: One thing - I don't trust ½ the videos I see on YouTube with people giving reviews of their tires and products - even the ones with hotties in them :involve: - there are many people on YouTube with ulterior $ motives.

Last edited:

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
we cut down two patagonia MTs last year in big bear. One instance was understandable but the other spot 16 other jeeps drove through with no issue. I have no idea if this was isolated as the tires presumable were from the same batch. My friend Eric (the JL I was shotgun in) intends for replace them with trail grapplers. Bumming a spare definitely sucks haha

Last edited:

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I have had Milestar Patagonia MTs on my F-350 4x4 diesel and they out performed every other tire I ran on this truck. I ran them until they resembled racing slicks and they still had no issues. I am a firm believer in these tires and would recommend them to everybody. On road they are amazing both quiet and smooth but off road they are absolute beast. Originally I thought cheap tires on such a heavy truck would not be good but I was wrong. I am on my second set for my F-350 and plan to run them on my Gladiator once these factory tires wear out. I hope this info helps someone who has not heard of these tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we cut down two patagonia MTs last year in big bear. One instance was understandable but the other spot 16 other jeeps drove through with no issue. I have no idea if this was isolated as the tires presumable were from the same batch. My friend Eric (the JL I was shotgun in) intends for replace them with trail grapplers. Bumming a spare definitely sucks haha
The takeaway here being - don't run without a spare. Guess I better order a spare!:whew:

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha just adding my experience. Just for the record we cut down two tires but only had five to start
Reliability is so important when on the trail. I only shredded one sidewall - a (pre-KO) BFG All-Terrain in my 22 years of wheeling. In Baja this past February, there were zero tire issues - just a separated control arm mount from a JK on 38's and my rear Pro-Comp MX-6 shock seals blew after running Zoo Road and Matomi Wash. Two dead tires would have ended my run that entire day! I will definitely add a spare tire and plenty of tire plugs to the toolbox before my next trip @TheSolarWizard

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 January - Install Steer Smarts Tie Rod, Drag Link, Trackbar
4 January - Install 4.5" EVO MFG Enforcer suspension w/Fox shocks
8 January - Service 4WD system at dealership - Swaybar Disconnect malfunctioning
8 January - Mount/Balance new 38" Milestar Patagonia MT tires
9 January - Align front end to Steer Smarts specifications

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installation is just 16 hours away and I already ran into a hiccup. The drag link that I ordered is not the TOP MOUNT. I somehow ordered the BOTTOM MOUNT drag link. So, no flip kit happening tomorrow. :swear:

I will call Steer Smarts and ask what to do about this error. I am looking at all of the parts tonight and prepping the Jeep for surgery.:jk:

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Installation is just 16 hours away and I already ran into a hiccup. The drag link that I ordered is not the TOP MOUNT. I somehow ordered the BOTTOM MOUNT drag link. So, no flip kit happening tomorrow. :swear:

I will call Steer Smarts and ask what to do about this error. I am looking at all of the parts tonight and prepping the Jeep for surgery.:jk:
Good luck! Keep us posted

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today was a long one. My friend Aaron originally worked in the off road industry and is doing my lift at my house. I have a friend in town named Bobby who stopped by to loan us lighting and jack stands, and the son of my neighbor across the street who works in the Service Department for a nearby local Jeep dealership who is also interested and checked out the work that Aaron was performing on the Jeep. We first worked on the passenger front then moved to the drivers front. The Overland drop down brackets were the first challenge, but after these were completed, the coils, shocks, bumpstops, correction pads and then the steering were updated.

By about 7 pm, we buttoned up the front end and I backed the Jeep into the garage where we will complete the front end tomorrow. We still need to extend the brakelines and straighten the steering before moving to the rear axle. Because most of the suspension involves the front end, we should be finished in time for the Baja 1000 on ABC Sports tomorrow at 1 pm. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Monster can is used as a reference for the sheer size of the Yeti XD Steering
ta2T7dcl.jpg

WSIyVMXl.jpg

The Jeep is much taller! Bobby is about 6'1 as a reference to the new roof height.
Y0JQcGel.jpg

Positioning the front axle when you're not using a lift, but you have a spare Jeep.
5m4CWXql.jpg

UULGz9Vl.jpg

The front end buttoned up for the night. EVO didn't pack any hardware for the swaybar links, so Grade 8 replacements will need to be purchased at Home Depot tomorrow. Extended brakelines will need to be installed and the steering will need to be adjusted for a trip to an alignment professional next week.

Here is what the Overland drop bracket looks like when mounted prior to control arm installation.
aLj1rfRl.jpg

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Due to a family emergency of my installer friend, we will be unable to move forward with the installation today. The good news is the front end only requires the brake line extensions and swaybar end links installed. Today, I will take care of the front sway bar links and take a look at the rear suspension later this week. The front alignment will be addressed in the next few days.
Sponsored

Last edited: