• Total voters

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I have test driven multiple Gladiators and I am curious if the 3.73 has less noticeable wander vrs the 4.10 once tire pressure and alignments have been adjusted to preference. Please vote if you have the issue. Both 3.73 geared JTs I have driven only had a slight wander and the last two 4.10 geared JTs, both were Sport S had more issues.
Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Falken 33” M/T Rubicon 4:10 with no wandering after I lowered the psi to 36-37.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I test drove a sport with manual and it felt pretty tight.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I test drove a Sport S Manual Transmission with tow package, wandered at high speeds

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a stock Overland with nitrogen fill at 36psi cold. It has been great from the first test drive and does not wander.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
My JT Rubicon is one of the best driving Jeeps that i have ever owned. It drives as well as my 2019 Ford F-250 diesel which is also a straight axel. Slight wandering comes with the territory, my 2018 Ford Raptor i can take my hands off the steering wheel at 80 mph and it will continue to drive straight but it has full independent suspension up front, front straight axel trucks are a different animal but once you know their limitations driving them becomes second nature as you adjust your driving style.

Regarding gearing, the 4:10`s with wider axel should track better than the narrow axel.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gear ratio has absolutely nothing to do with steering, wandering, ride, etc.

Small changes to tire pressure, like going from 43 PSI which is how the trucks are shipped to 37 PSI which is spec will also have ZERO effect on handling, wandering, etc. I had to demonstrate this for the JL guys by going from 25 to 50 PSI up and down with the exact same wandering issue at any pressure.

Having said all of that, I have driven both 3.73 and 4.10 equipped Gladiators and they handled exactly the same. Identical.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Gear ratio has absolutely nothing to do with steering, wandering, ride, etc.

Small changes to tire pressure, like going from 43 PSI which is how the trucks are shipped to 37 PSI which is spec will also have ZERO effect on handling, wandering, etc. I had to demonstrate this for the JL guys by going from 25 to 50 PSI up and down with the exact same wandering issue at any pressure.

Having said all of that, I have driven both 3.73 and 4.10 equipped Gladiators and they handled exactly the same. Identical.
This is what I was wondering. Why would we think a gear ratio would have any effect on an alignment? Perhaps the question is if the wide D44 axles that come with 4.10 Max Tow would affect the tracking on the road?

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Not sure why it would be related to the gearing. But I have the Rubicon with AT tires and it wanders all over the road at highway speed. I'll be setting up a file with Jeep Cares before I go in for my first oil change and see what they can do about it. It really sucks.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
well, lets assume we're not talking about a Rubicon, since those have a much fatter tire. this will cause them to roll straight slightly better on concrete, but also follow asphalt grooves more.
ON a Sport, 4.10s or not means max tow or not, which gets you a wider (read altogether unique) axle housing. there could be an issue with the alignment- toe or caster angle not set correctly, or something not quite on center with the electronic steering. It would in no way keep me from buying the max tow package.

Otter155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT, 2007 JKU, 2001 TJ
Build Thread
Link
I'm curious what people feel is wandering...when I drive my JKU the tires move and the Jeep jumps from rut to rut, or grabs the road with my knobby 35" tires; this is completely normal driving for me. I would say my Jeep wanders, but not the death wobble older Jeeps dealt with. In fact my steering stabilizer is only on their for looks at this point, haha.

When I drive my wife's mini van I don't have the same driving experience but I'm also driving on smaller tires that don't have the same grip or road manners. I rarely drive my wife's minivan, like 1 time every 6 months, if we take the van normally she drives; I drive my JKU as a daily driver and love the driving experience, bumps and all.

Edit-my JT will be at the dealer in the next couple of weeks, so I have limited driving time with a JT.
Sponsored