Sponsored

Exhaust Options -- Anyone have experience?

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I haven't really seen a whole lot out there, and was wondering what exhaust options people have tried, or are looking at trying? Does our system already perform so well that modifications to it wouldn't really help?

I know @RebelOffRoad posted a video a little while back of a JT that had some exhaust mods done, and it sounds great.

Just curious! And if there is already a super useful thread for all this, point me in the right direction.... I couldn't find one
Sponsored

GoatPowder

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I mean, there are options out there but most people pick them up for additional ground clearance.

Sound-wise the muffler doesn't do much after the DOC/DPF/SCR so you won't gain much volume just a bit of drone on the highway. The exhaust is already passing through three different honeycombs that act as a muffler.

Even my truck with a straight-pipe is quieter than a gasser from the 90's. These lil 3.0's don't make the full gravely diesel noises of a full size truck if they're tuned properly.

If you want to hear the compression ignition sound I'd pull the sound deadening foam off the rocker covers.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I've got the filter back pipe from MBRP, very straight forward install and allows for better clearance as @GoatPowder mentioned. No real noticeable sound differences but it also saves about 15lbs. Here is the review I had posted on it.

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I mean, there are options out there but most people pick them up for additional ground clearance.

Sound-wise the muffler doesn't do much after the DOC/DPF/SCR so you won't gain much volume just a bit of drone on the highway. The exhaust is already passing through three different honeycombs that act as a muffler.

Even my truck with a straight-pipe is quieter than a gasser from the 90's. These lil 3.0's don't make the full gravely diesel noises of a full size truck if they're tuned properly.

If you want to hear the compression ignition sound I'd pull the sound deadening foam off the rocker covers.

Thanks! I figured that was the case with this system. I'm not looking to gain any drone, that's for sure. I hate that. haha.

I also have no interest in hearing the motor/exhaust more, but if it sounds great and is also functional, i'd be interested.

Thank you for the info :)

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Don’t chop both of the mid mufflers off if you hate drone. Just try cutting the big suitcase one if you go that route. Sounds cool but pretty annoying on the highway.

I’ll probably end up with a medium sound level cat back system at some point.

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Don’t chop both of the mid mufflers off if you hate drone. Just try cutting the big suitcase one if you go that route. Sounds cool but pretty annoying on the highway.

I’ll probably end up with a medium sound level cat back system at some point.
Good to know! Thank you!
Sponsored