First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
I have a '21 JTRD on order and intend to install a trailer brake controller. I've read all of the reviews about the various controllers posted here, and the issues with the Mopar controller integrating into the factory electronics. I've seen the comments about the cheap feel of the Mopar controller and sometimes people having issues with the dial being misaligned or whatever. What I haven't seen are discussions about actual experience using the controller once the wiring issues were settled (for those who had them).

I only ask because my Duramax had the factory trailer brake controller and it was super finicky on connections to the trailer. More often than not it would fail to recognize the trailer was connected, or give an error message. They were known to have issues and many people simply replaced them with aftermarket.

I don't mind spending more for a higher quality item after dropping $55k on the truck. The Redarc seems attractive to me, but the factory looking install of the Mopar controller is also attractive. I have the 8.4" audio group, so the 12v charging port isn't really important to me since the phone can charge in the USB slot (I assume anyway). I also have all the Rubi stuff and aux switches, so unused panel space is pretty limited on the dash from what I can tell.

So, which is better? I'll mostly be towing thinks like my muscle car, a motorcycle, maybe a camper or boat. None for significant distances, but I hate when things don't function as intended and given the lighter duty nature of this truck compared to my Duramax (it could stop the car hauler with no issue on it's own brakes in a normal stop) I want the controller to be rock solid.
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you want warranty to cover then the mopar controller is the way i would go. I have the Redarc and love it. It works the same as a mopar controller. If i had to do again I'd probably buy the Mopar only for the look.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar brake controller in my 2020. I've only pulled our camper a handful of times with it so far but it has been working well.

It looks like a factory part. It's easy to see and hit the manual trailer brake button. It has recognized the camper 100% of the time so far.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Go with the Redarc so you can keep the 12volt. The USB ports in the JT are shit and can't do fast charging.

Also if you get a camper you might end up needing to power a camera system for it. Those only run off of 12 volt.

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Go with the Redarc so you can keep the 12volt. The USB ports in the JT are shit and can't do fast charging.

Also if you get a camper you might end up needing to power a camera system for it. Those only run off of 12 volt.
I think that is personal preference. If you want fast charging you can get an adapter for the 12V port you are so fond of. It has like 13 AMPS. I'm fine with the USB ports for charging personally. There are plenty of ways to get 12V without the cig lighter 12V port. Just my .02.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I think that is personal preference. If you want fast charging you can get an adapter for the 12V port you are so fond of. It has like 13 AMPS. I'm fine with the USB ports for charging personally. There are plenty of ways to get 12V without the cig lighter 12V port. Just my .02.
My issue is the type-c ports are a complete lie. No reason to even have that connector in place for the power they are putting out. Can't even charge a nintendo switch on those things. It just doesn't make much sense to run another 12vlot when there is one there.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
My issue is the type-c ports are a complete lie. No reason to even have that connector in place for the power they are putting out. Can't even charge a nintendo switch on those things. It just doesn't make much sense to run another 12vlot when there is one there.
You shouldn't be playing games while you are driving lol :facepalm:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
You shouldn't be playing games while you are driving lol :facepalm:
lol damn you caught me. The kids talked me into joining them in mario kart.

Exram

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I installed my mopar trailer brake on Saturday, and hooked up to my dump trailer today for a test ride. The brake worked great with no warning lights or codes like some people report.
Jeep Gladiator Experience Using Mopar Trailer Brake Controller 20210404_165044
Jeep Gladiator Experience Using Mopar Trailer Brake Controller 20210404_161343
Sponsored