Extended warranty or not?

Just_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Okay, I bought my GC Trailhawk a little over a year ago, first jeep and I'm hooked, just love it! Got the full extended warranty for another 3k or so. Never owned a Wrangler but wondering if an extended warranty is a good investment for the JT, especially since I plan on doing some off-roading and probably a few mods like a small lift and 35's.
Sponsored

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Good question. I have never bought an extended warranty in the past but purchased one for my wife’s Explorer. I chose to because the tech stuff is so expensive and the stuff I have the least faith in. If we were talking old school CJ7 simplicity - Heck No but since this is so techy I’m leaning yes....

OP
OP
Just_Scott

Just_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Good question. I have never bought an extended warranty in the past but purchased one for my wife’s Explorer. I chose to because the tech stuff is so expensive and the stuff I have the least faith in. If we were talking old school CJ7 simplicity - Heck No but since this is so techy I’m leaning yes....
Me too. But I'm thinking in the fine print, it would void warranty if you are abusive or have made mods to the vehicle. Question is would they consider offroading to be abusive? It's kink of subjective to the person approving any warranty claim and that always makes me nervous.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Started discussing extended warranties in this thread:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/let’s-talk-ecodiesel.3176/page-7#post-198478

I'll probably opt out on my JT due to my dislike of extended warranties. If someone is considering the EcoDiesel (if/when it's available in 2020+), I would STRONGLY recommend it since I was royally screwed on my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee, and feel FCA is still trying to figure out the whole diesel emission thing...

BTW, you can get the extended warranty after the fact from other dealers on-line as long as it's still under warranty (forget the details since I bought my GC in 2013). When I looked, it was considerably cheaper than what my dealer was offering at time of purchase.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
In those days I remember father calling to the caretaker of the garage, who always referred back to his version of the good books!

1978JeepRRMSet.jpg

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/let’s-talk-ecodiesel.3176/page-7#post-198478

I'll probably opt out on my JT due to my dislike of extended warranties. If someone is considering the EcoDiesel (if/when it's available in 2020+), I would STRONGLY recommend it since I was royally screwed on my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee, and feel FCA is still trying to figure out the whole diesel emission thing...

BTW, you can get the extended warranty after the fact from other dealers on-line as long as it's still under warranty (forget the details since I bought my GC in 2013). When I looked, it was considerably cheaper than what my dealer was offering at time of purchase.
I bought a LIFETIME extended warranty for my Pacifica Hybrid from this guy. Quite easy, only $2805. For the hybrid, the extended warranty doesn't cover any of the hybrid stuff, but covers everything else.

I went for it, because i plan to keep the van for 15 years and i can't imagine what a new uconnect would cost, or all the automatic doors, ect. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

I know you can buy the warranty after you've had the van, but you want to double check how long you can wait before you buy it.
Tom Winkels

Finance Manager

Hayes Jeep

3718 Stadium Drive

Kalamazoo, Mi 49008

TEL-269.488.2080

FAX-269.488.2086

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
It all depends on the service team that you take the vehicle to. My 14' JGC is ran with aftermarket K&N intake, had a lowering kit on it, and run with aftermarket offset rims. Also, added LED lights into the electrical. No issues from my dealer.

I purchased a lifetime MaxCare plan for my 14' JGC for $2400. The first time used it paid for itself back in 2017 when I had a TPMS wire issue. At that time I had 98,000 miles on her and they had to replace the entire body wire harness (which wraps around the whole vehicle). Total cost would have been pushing $4K to do so. With the MaxCare I only spent $100, my deductible.

The second time it was used was recently, just a few weeks ago (early March) with 149000 on the odometer. I had a radiator leak and again it was replaced and installed at the dealership with only $100 deductible.

The plan is to let the wife drive the JGC and me pick up the JT. This would keep the Lifetime MaxCare valid and worth to hold onto the vehicle until she wants to move on (she currently drives a 11' Honda Pilot).

All in all, the MaxCare plan worked out for me. I also never bought warranties but took the chance after buying new my 14' JGC. I did wait until I had 10,000 miles before pulling the trigger to get it. I may do the same with the JT but unfortunately they discontinued the lifetime MaxCare end of last year so I'll settle for the current Maximum plan which is 8 years or 125,000 miles.

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Is MaxCare a third party plan or Mopar?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Just_Scott

Just_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee

I guess it depends on the service department of your favorite repair dealer.
Thanks for the input everyone. I feel like if you are loyal to a dealership i.e. purchase and service from them they are more likely to grant you some latitude when it comes to warranty coverage.

Looking forward to watching the site blow up Saturday morning!;)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input everyone. I feel like if you are loyal to a dealership i.e. purchase and service from them they are more likely to grant you some latitude when it comes to warranty coverage.

Looking forward to watching the site blow up Saturday morning!;)
well that's what some people hope for; however, i wonder how many sales departments talk to the service department.

I'm buying my vehicle from an outside dealer and stuck getting it serviced locally. can save thousands buying from Travis.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I plan to skip the extended warranty. Even a spring spacer leveling kit would void parts of a factory warranty, you would have to de-install it every time before going to the shop, unless its Mopar and dealer installed.

https://clark.com/cars/beware-buying-auto-repair-service-plans-older-vehi/
I've been "bothered" by this as well for the past 2+ years with my 2016 G.C. - which has a 7yr. extended (can't recall the milage). I was thinking of a small lift for a while, but opted not to cause of the Warrantee . Wether I go JLU or JT, I'm not sure yet it I'll get any extension . . . too tempting to do some add-ons !? Besides I could easily just "drop dead" in the middle of some stream somewhere . . . wouldn't want the guy stealing it have that added protection too ! ;) :headbang: :no:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
It all depends on the service team that you take the vehicle to. My 14' JGC is ran with aftermarket K&N intake, had a lowering kit on it, and run with aftermarket offset rims. Also, added LED lights into the electrical. No issues from my dealer.

I purchased a lifetime MaxCare plan for my 14' JGC for $2400. The first time used it paid for itself back in 2017 when I had a TPMS wire issue. At that time I had 98,000 miles on her and they had to replace the entire body wire harness (which wraps around the whole vehicle). Total cost would have been pushing $4K to do so. With the MaxCare I only spent $100, my deductible.

The second time it was used was recently, just a few weeks ago (early March) with 149000 on the odometer. I had a radiator leak and again it was replaced and installed at the dealership with only $100 deductible.

The plan is to let the wife drive the JGC and me pick up the JT. This would keep the Lifetime MaxCare valid and worth to hold onto the vehicle until she wants to move on (she currently drives a 11' Honda Pilot).

All in all, the MaxCare plan worked out for me. I also never bought warranties but took the chance after buying new my 14' JGC. I did wait until I had 10,000 miles before pulling the trigger to get it. I may do the same with the JT but unfortunately they discontinued the lifetime MaxCare end of last year so I'll settle for the current Maximum plan which is 8 years or 125,000 miles.
Are all their plans lifetime plans? I imagine that means unlimited miles? Also probably non-transferable?

Do you know @BlckJT ?

I am seriously considering it for the JT, especially if it’s lifetime. My other experience with a extended vehicle warranty has been very positive. I financed it along with my 2014 Ford TC. It paid itself off in the first 2 years, with an issue I had, maybe even created by me and my overloading it.
Sponsored