Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Great data set. I love .xlxs!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I think this will be an unpopular comment, but I would gladly give up 4 inches of rear leg room to make the whole thing 4 inches shorter. I might even give up an inch up front to make it 5 inches shorter. I am not a big guy, the backseat is mostly for kids anyway. I think 4/5 inches would go a long way to help the break over angle and the turning radius.

I know I am just nit picking here, I am still getting a JT because its the closest thing to my ideal vehicle. I also realize they did not design this thing for just me.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator rear legroom is necessary to enable a folding flat rear seat option...can we add some add'l data such as curb-to-curb turning radius?
Here is some data (I've collected -- someone else could verify) on the c/t/c turning radius (in feet):

JL 2dr = 34.6 / JLU = 40.8 / JT = 44.5 / Ranger = 42 / F-150 = 47.8 / Ram 1500 = 46.2 (the last 2 are for Land Yacht references...)

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
That's funny. Tight turning radius fits my definition of Jeep. I'd give up a lot to be able to turn around on a high up saddle road. At the risk of starting something, I'd even go far as losing the 4door..

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Info from cars.com and Autoblog.

20190124_110834.jpg

Gladiator-specs-vs-competition.jpeg
Thanks -- The big elephant in the spec.-room catching My eye, is the Overall Base Weight -- ranging from (rounded up); 4700 to 5100 POUNDS !
That (Sport/Sport S ?) 4700 lbs. is "just about" equal to my 2016 Trail Rated WK2 (75th anniversary Laredo). With the Increased towing capacity & Load capacity I feel the JT needs to have the same Engine HP / torque as the New RAM DT ! Likewise the JLU Sport (4215 lbs.) and the JLUR (4455 lbs.) have the SAME (tweeked) 285/260 set up ! Stands to reason a nearly 400 to 800 lb. Increase could USE a little "help" on & off road ! Yes ? Sure I may wait - on buying a JLU Sport S in order to test Drive a Sport S gladiator, but I also know IT will be lacking in the same peppiness of the JL V6/auto !

As a side note - perhaps could be another thread (may already be ?) - is the Fold Down Windshield and all the cracked glass and wind noise issues we keep hearing about and seeing (in real time) . Personally I could care less about folding the windshield ! Yea I get the "History" thing ! But, if it is a factor, along with the New Design, causing these issues, well . . . !? VIBRATION and Glass Quality are also underlying factors . These need to be addressed NOW for both JL & JT imho . Jeep, you listening ? Maybe 4 hinges instead of the 2, to lessen Vibration and twist, along with a redesign of the gasket shape/materials ? Wether I get a JL or can swing the added cost of a JT; I would consider, somewhere down the road, having the windshield welded shut / hinges removed - by a quality outfit of course !

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Your point is why I'm after a sport max tow. I need it to get up and go.

Welding. Lol. What other vehicle can be welded to keep the windshield from rattling and enthusiasts don't say a word.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I think this will be an unpopular comment, but I would gladly give up 4 inches of rear leg room to make the whole thing 4 inches shorter. I might even give up an inch up front to make it 5 inches shorter. I am not a big guy, the backseat is mostly for kids anyway. I think 4/5 inches would go a long way to help the break over angle and the turning radius.

I know I am just nit picking here, I am still getting a JT because its the closest thing to my ideal vehicle. I also realize they did not design this thing for just me.
I get that the WB is closer to the competition's LONG bed crew than the short, but the leg room is precisely what has me sold.
I went to the Auto show on Sunday to pretty much talk myself out of the Gladiator, and into a much more sensible Tacoma. I get Toyota family pricing and the truck I'd want retails for $35k. That gets you power windows/locks, a rear locker, adaptive cruise, apple car play, trailer hitch and wireless phone charging. I poked around in every truck available. Only the Tacoma, Frontier and Gladiator come with a manual (preferred). With the front seat in a reasonable position, there isn't room in back (of the tacoma) for even small kids. the Frontier wasn't available, but is even smaller. the Gladiator is completely comfortable. I'm still not sure why they decided to make the seat fold the way it does, rather than like in the JLU, but under seat rifle storage is cool, too.

PS- the Alpine sound system is pretty fly.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I get that the WB is closer to the competition's LONG bed crew than the short, but the leg room is precisely what has me sold.
I went to the Auto show on Sunday to pretty much talk myself out of the Gladiator, and into a much more sensible Tacoma. I get Toyota family pricing and the truck I'd want retails for $35k. That gets you power windows/locks, a rear locker, adaptive cruise, apple car play, trailer hitch and wireless phone charging. I poked around in every truck available. Only the Tacoma, Frontier and Gladiator come with a manual (preferred). With the front seat in a reasonable position, there isn't room in back (of the tacoma) for even small kids. the Frontier wasn't available, but is even smaller. the Gladiator is completely comfortable. I'm still not sure why they decided to make the seat fold the way it does, rather than like in the JLU, but under seat rifle storage is cool, too.

PS- the Alpine sound system is pretty fly.
I have a 2015 JKU with the Alpine 9 speaker system (with subwoofer) and it's plenty loud even with the top down and the doors off driving 70 mph on the highway.

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Does this mean the gladiator has more rear leg room than the rear seats of the JL? This has me sold as well, I want a vehicle that i can tote a family around in comfortably on vacation or long trips. We also have two large doberman dogs which could fit nicely with the rear seat folding up like that of the larger pickups.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Does this mean the gladiator has more rear leg room than the rear seats of the JL? This has me sold as well, I want a vehicle that i can tote a family around in comfortably on vacation or long trips. We also have two large doberman dogs which could fit nicely with the rear seat folding up like that of the larger pickups.
Should have the exact same legroom as a JL. No more, no less. That said it will have more leg room than almost anything else in the class. (Taco, Ranger, Frontier, Colorado)

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I have a 2015 JKU with the Alpine 9 speaker system (with subwoofer) and it's plenty loud even with the top down and the doors off driving 70 mph on the highway.
The one cranked up at the show was in a Rubicon JT, no roof. The Sub takes up most of the room behind the seat, but it hits WAY harder than the one in our JKUR.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I can't verify that the space is larger than the JL, The fold-up seat bottom doesn't make for a huge space for big dogs. The backrest folded down is high and small- different from the JL.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The one cranked up at the show was in a Rubicon JT, no roof. The Sub takes up most of the room behind the seat, but it hits WAY harder than the one in our JKUR.
And this was inside a building for a car show? It must be pretty loud then, sweet.

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Thanks for the info! Ill probably get two high strength dog carriers for the bed anyway. It will be nice to be able to fit adults in the rear seats comfortably reguardless.
Sponsored