Extra winter insulation

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have a Sport S with the premium soft top. I also installed a mesh top that I used throughout the summer. I was thinking about leaving the mesh on under the soft top for the winter already because it doesn't interfere and it may even add a bit of noise isolation.

This got me thinking - what if I found a way to fold up a king sized blanket (probably fleece) and sandwich between the mesh top and the soft top? It would be super cheap and could only further add to the sound and temperature insulation, right? Anyone try this before in their Jeeps?
Sponsored

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Honestly my JK study top never needed it and I live next to lake Michigan (we get snow and sub zero temperatures). The heater on these things will burn you down. I tend to leave my window cracked when I drive. On my 2007 I used to laugh because the heat on full blast you could watch the top expand like a balloon and snow pop off

OP
OP
DaytonOhioGladiator

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Good to know about the strong heater. My TJ wasn't all that impressive back in the day.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Good to know about the strong heater. My TJ wasn't all that impressive back in the day.
World of difference in the heater between the TJ and the JK. In sub zero temperatures once the engine warmed up there was never an issue with the soft top in the winter.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
I have a Sport S with the premium soft top. I also installed a mesh top that I used throughout the summer. I was thinking about leaving the mesh on under the soft top for the winter already because it doesn't interfere and it may even add a bit of noise isolation.

This got me thinking - what if I found a way to fold up a king sized blanket (probably fleece) and sandwich between the mesh top and the soft top? It would be super cheap and could only further add to the sound and temperature insulation, right? Anyone try this before in their Jeeps?

my JK would burn me for sure

Sponsored

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide

This’ll be my first winter with my JT (Freedom Hardtop w/insulated headliner) but I am in the mountains at 8500ft. We usually get about a 4 foot snowpack... with about six to eight weeks in the teens every night. I’ve been driving my TJ in the worst weather... soft-top, no added insulation... we’re in an off-grid log cabin, in the Santa Fe National Forest wilderness, so no snowplows! lol! Anyway, my TJ’s heater blasts enough heat I’ve never needed added insulation! Course it’s just a 2door, the interior cubic space in the JT is bigger but similar, as there’s no interior cargo area! I reckon you’ll be warm enough with the heater on max! (Me and my GCM-JTLE) ;{

7C96EE28-F353-4C63-927C-CAD8125C0C28.jpeg

Last edited:

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
This’ll be my first winter with my JT (Freedom Hardtop w/insulated headliner) but I am in the mountains at 8500ft. We usually get about a 4 foot snowpack... with about six to eight weeks in the teens every night. I’ve been driving my TJ in the worst weather... soft-top, no added insulation... we’re in an off-grid log cabin, in the Santa Fe National Forest wilderness, so now snowplows! lol! Anyway, my TJ’s heater blasts enough heat I’ve never needed added insulation! Course it’s just a 2door, the interior cubic space in the JT is bigger but similar, as there’s no interior cargo area! I reckon you’ll be warm enough with the heater on max! (Me and my GCM-JTLE) ;{

If I were in that situation, I’m not since I ordered the dual top, I’d get a foam pillow top( mattress topper) from Walmart and trim to fit. They are super soft and would be easy to cut.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
This’ll be my first winter with my JT (Freedom Hardtop w/insulated headliner) but I am in the mountains at 8500ft. We usually get about a 4 foot snowpack... with about six to eight weeks in the teens every night. I’ve been driving my TJ in the worst weather... soft-top, no added insulation... we’re in an off-grid log cabin, in the Santa Fe National Forest wilderness, so now snowplows! lol! Anyway, my TJ’s heater blasts enough heat I’ve never needed added insulation! Course it’s just a 2door, the interior cubic space in the JT is bigger but similar, as there’s no interior cargo area! I reckon you’ll be warm enough with the heater on max! (Me and my GCM-JTLE) ;{

If I were in that situation, I’m not since I ordered the dual top, I’d get a foam pillow top( mattress topper) from Walmart and trim to fit. They are super soft and would be easy to cut.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
This’ll be my first winter with my JT (Freedom Hardtop w/insulated headliner) but I am in the mountains at 8500ft. We usually get about a 4 foot snowpack... with about six to eight weeks in the teens every night. I’ve been driving my TJ in the worst weather... soft-top, no added insulation... we’re in an off-grid log cabin, in the Santa Fe National Forest wilderness, so no snowplows! lol! Anyway, my TJ’s heater blasts enough heat I’ve never needed added insulation! Course it’s just a 2door, the interior cubic space in the JT is bigger but similar, as there’s no interior cargo area! I reckon you’ll be warm enough with the heater on max! (Me and my GCM-JTLE) ;{

where did you get the insulated headliner

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide