Factory 4.88 gears

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
So I read the new Xtreme recon JL is available with optional 4.88 gears. Has anyone come across a part number for these.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reactions: mog

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It's an option package, but is currently only available for 4.56. The 4.88 option will come later this year.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He's referring to the factory option with the XR package.
Jeep Gladiator Factory 4.88 gears 1632759621772
Yes, but this is what he said -

available with optional 4.88 gears. Has anyone come across a part number for these.
Apparently asking about the GEARS. "optional 4.88 gears. Has anyone come across a part number for these."
When I saw him asking for a part number for the gears, are you sure he was asking about the sales code for that optional package? Or, a part number for the gears?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wbrook24

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
Thanks Shadowspapa. I missed those somewhere. Thats what I had been trying to find.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Yes, but this is what he said -

Apparently asking about the GEARS. "optional 4.88 gears. Has anyone come across a part number for these."
When I saw him asking for a part number for the gears, are you sure he was asking about the sales code for that optional package? Or, a part number for the gears?
Apparently I was wrong…

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Join my club............ :beer:

We were both trying to help.
Your club is for losers, who admit they were wrong. As long as I don't admit it, I never have to be wrong on the interwebs...
All kidding aside, I would like to hear more about a 4.88 option- A Willys Sport XR is just my flavor.

OP
OP
Wbrook24

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
Dont think the extreme recon is available on gladiators yet. I was looking for part numbers becsuse If my dealership does my Re-gear they wont kill my warranty as long as I bring it to them. Don't know what another dealer would say about it though. (*Or if other dealers would agree to this)

Sponsored

Deleted member 39643

Would be better if Jeep just offered different gear ratios not associated with 50k packages and badges. How much cost difference is really associated with different gear ratios from the factory Jeep?

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Would be better if Jeep just offered different gear ratios not associated with 50k packages and badges. How much cost difference is really associated with different gear ratios from the factory Jeep?
Well, optional ratios used to cost about $50 on a pickup. The part WILL cost a little more, just because it's lower volume production, but the biggest cost is in the added parts management.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Well, optional ratios used to cost about $50 on a pickup. The part WILL cost a little more, just because it's lower volume production, but the biggest cost is in the added parts management.
Exactly and the lost productivity at changeovers on the line. Change overs on even the same exact model were always the biggest hang-ups to make sure that all the parts that were needed to run that lot were on the line. It has been some time since I worked in an auto plant, I wonder how they are planning to deal with the increased number of customers placing custom orders vs buying off the lot -- given that dealer installs of any substance are minimal now.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Exactly and the lost productivity at changeovers on the line. Change overs on even the same exact model were always the biggest hang-ups to make sure that all the parts that were needed to run that lot were on the line. It has been some time since I worked in an auto plant, I wonder how they are planning to deal with the increased number of customers placing custom orders vs buying off the lot -- given that dealer installs of any substance are minimal now.
It seems to me that it would be the same as any other customer ordered Jeep. There are already Jeeps going down the line with different gear ratios depending on order specs and trim. Maybe I'm wrong...