Sponsored

Factory Brake controller vs aftermarket (Curt)

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
While I know the factory controller hasn't been released yet, is there any real reason to wait vs buying aftermarket? I realize the factory one may match the appearance a little better. Does anyone know if the factory controller will require a "flash" for the vehicle to see it (from the dealer)?

Thanks.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nobody knows yet. But, my experience with other trucks has been that factory brake controllers integrate with the vehicle much better. No funky brake pulsing with the hazard flashers on, no having to re-pin harnesses, no having to drill holes or cut panels, etc. And, sometimes there are cool settings on the info. screen that allow you to have memory settings for various trailers, track trailer mileage, etc.

So, I'm still holding out to see how much the factory setup is going to cost before I decide.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
I only have experience with aftermarket but the redarc does a great job and work without any issues. I can't imagine of what the factory option could do better.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It is my understanding that the factory option(actually Mopar Parts) will plug directly into the plug you put your aftermarket one in. Maybe in time a full factory one will be offered but if you already have the truck its going to plug into your plug. I picked up a cheap one to use on my personal trailer for now. For under $50 I got the cable and controller. 5 Minutes and it was in and set. I plan to get the mopar parts one when its relased and install it. It will replace the 12volt power port on the dash, so the guys installing the Redarc are already ahead of most.
Sponsored