Factory paint spray cans?

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
So I saw a place that did factory paint codes in aerosol cans that the consumer could order and use for touch-ups or color matching accessories but I can't remember where I saw it or what the company was. The stuff was supposed to be two stage paint in a single can and mixed by the factory paint codes so it was an exact match. Anyone know who that would be?
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
That'll do but it's not the company I was thinking of. What I saw before was a two stage can with an inner cylinder that was punctured when you were ready to use it. The inner cylinder held the hardener and once mixed and applied it was as good as professionally sprayed paint. You still have to buff and polish it just like a pro job.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
You would be better off buying a catalyzed paint and using a Preval sprayer.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That'll do but it's not the company I was thinking of. What I saw before was a two stage can with an inner cylinder that was punctured when you were ready to use it. The inner cylinder held the hardener and once mixed and applied it was as good as professionally sprayed paint. You still have to buff and polish it just like a pro job.
Two stage?
You mean base coat/ clear coat? Can't do that in a can. That takes a base coat of color then a clear coat over that sanded and polished.
Buff and polish?
Only have to do that with lacquer or base coat/clear coat. Not enamel or similar. That you spray to shine - spray wet.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
He explained it in the post above yours. Don’t get hung up on the label he used, read the post and you will see he is referring to a catalyzed paint like an epoxy. As I said, Preval is the way to go over a spray can.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He explained it in the post above yours. Don’t get hung up on the label he used, read the post and you will see he is referring to a catalyzed paint like an epoxy. As I said, Preval is the way to go over a spray can.
A two part, then, as with a hardener.
Those are still a spray can - same pattern, little control - you get what the nozzle gives you - like a spray can.

I'd go to Harbor Freight, buy a $16 "touch up gun" and spray any automotive paint I wanted, single stage, clear, lacquer, whatever.
If you clean then immediately after use they are good for years and many uses.
They are great for small jobs, even engine bays for that matter. I've done touch-ups, and the engine bay in my SX4 and touch-ups of the engine bay of my 70 Javelin, I use it when prepping a car for paint when I want to do the areas that won't get done well when I put the hatch or doors back on, door jamb areas, behind tail lights, areas where I need tight control.
Buy a cheap air regulator and you are set.
No refills to worry about - no running out of refill in the middle of a job, you control your spray pattern, size and more.
I've had my cheap touch-up gun over 10 years.