Sponsored

Factory Rock Rails vs. Jeep Performance Rock Rails

LSUonyx09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
Hi everyone,

I just purchased an 80th Anniversary JT and am actually having the dealer trade the running boards that came with my truck for a Mopar soft rolling tonneau cover as I don't like the look of the regular running boards. I do eventually want to add something there though and have been looking at the different rock rails. Is there a difference between the factory Rubicon ones (part #82215605) and the Jeep Performance ones (part #82215606) and if so what is it? I know the price is very different and from the pictures it looks like maybe the Performance ones have more width and space to allow it to be like a traditional step which is what i am looking for. Something flush with the truck that can help protect it but also act as a step if needed. Thanks!
Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Hi everyone,

I just purchased an 80th Anniversary JT and am actually having the dealer trade the running boards that came with my truck for a Mopar soft rolling tonneau cover as I don't like the look of the regular running boards. I do eventually want to add something there though and have been looking at the different rock rails. Is there a difference between the factory Rubicon ones (part #82215605) and the Jeep Performance ones (part #82215606) and if so what is it? I know the price is very different and from the pictures it looks like maybe the Performance ones have more width and space to allow it to be like a traditional step which is what i am looking for. Something flush with the truck that can help protect it but also act as a step if needed. Thanks!
You're exactly correct--the performance ones have a step built in as well. If they weren't $1k, I would have gone with them, as I like the stock look of the rock rails.

OP
OP

LSUonyx09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're exactly correct--the performance ones have a step built in as well. If they weren't $1k, I would have gone with them, as I like the stock look of the rock rails.
Exactly - i really like the look of the stock ones but want it to have somewhat of a step as well. I found them online for around $800-$900 but still very expensive.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
They have an extra benefit of protecting the door hinges and rear fenders from road debris picked up and thrown from the front tires. I have them on my LE and would add them again if I got a new Gladiator.

OP
OP

LSUonyx09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have an extra benefit of protecting the door hinges and rear fenders from road debris picked up and thrown from the front tires. I have them on my LE and would add them again if I got a new Gladiator.
Which ones do you have? The factory ones or the aftermarket Jeep ones?

Sponsored

olegs

First Name
OS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2011 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Audi S8
I have the Mopar performance rails.
They are pricey.
I love the stock look and the extra protection, as well as a step when lowering/raising the top.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Which ones do you have? The factory ones or the aftermarket Jeep ones?
I have the Mopar performance. Factory quality and fit with the extra protection. I have no complaints about them at all

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I like my RSE rails better. And they come with a retractable step.
The rock slide engineering didn’t really fit my needs. More than six months of the year I have my hard doors removed so I would have to add the relay to make the step work. I’m only 50 and can still climb into and out of my Jeep pretty easy so the Mopar rails were the best solution in my case.

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I like my RSE rails better. And they come with a retractable step.
Have you had any negative side effects of having an electric retractable step yet? I keep thinking these would have an issue offroad if you ever needed to get out in a less than ideal area, does the motor for the step stop if there is resistance from the bottom? I’m thinking if you are in the rocks, you want to scout out ahead, you open your door amd the step tries to drop amd now you have a step trying to force itself open against a rock or stump. Has this been an issue with anyone or am I just over thinking the situation?

Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
you are overthinking it. The steps have sensors that stop them opening or closing if something is in the way, just like modern garage door openers. There is a switch to disable the steps so they don't open when the door is opened.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
you are overthinking it. The steps have sensors that stop them opening or closing if something is in the way, just like modern garage door openers. There is a switch to disable the steps so they don't open when the door is opened.
I kind of figured as much and I could have looked them up. Thanks for the response. I appreciate the statement of overthinking it, I use that all the time with stuff I teach.

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I'm really liking the look of the upgraded OEMs, but not liking the price.

I'm going with these.
DV8 Rock Sliders

Similar look, but way cheaper. Materials sound pretty reasonable.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

I have the MOPAR performance rails-- love them, some rock protection, and very sturdy!
Jeep Gladiator Factory Rock Rails vs. Jeep Performance Rock Rails IMG_5450 (1).JPG
Sponsored