Sponsored

Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING

thisispainful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
New member here. Thanks everyone for the tons of helpful info on towing capacity and brake controllers. I just installed my Curt controller. I actually broke one of the crimps putting it together and Curt was awesome. They sent me a new dial no charge. Went with the “stick it on the dash somewhere” option.

8FFAAD52-8B42-44A1-B82B-F0C8CB9CF362.jpeg

411B2136-DBF7-4F1A-8A6C-7B3830E0FCA7.jpeg
The crimps on the cable for the dial? I had issues with those as well. Mostly the problem was my connector seemed defective. I wasn't able to get all the pins to go in all the way, and then the latch seemed broken as well. One of the detents to keep the latch shut was broken or missing. That would be my only complaint of this controller. I got mine through amazon, so they're sending me a new unit right now.
Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Another laughable update today:

Trailer brake controller part number 82215652 will not be available in December. (anybody surprised?)

“ Possible “ availability next February

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this doesn't integrate into the JT's systems, but it works fine, SIMPLE SIMPLE install, and looks factory.
All you see is this part - no exposed wiring, no drilling the dash for it. If I ever change my mind about the 12 volt outlet, I moved the wire harness for that over toward the glove box so I could put the outlet in that area, or can simply remove this and put the 12 volt outlet back.
You can connect the control dial with their supplied cable or ANY good Ethernet network cable with RJ45 ends.
If I still want the "factory controller" later, I can pull this and put the factory control in. Noting lost and can always sell this one later if I want - it will work in almost any vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 18-20200915_144204_HDR

Last edited:

Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Yeah..... now MOPAR has removed it from their website. At least no more false advertising....... which is nice.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Yeah..... now MOPAR has removed it from their website. At least no more false advertising....... which is nice.
Wow. Quadretech just added it to their site about two weeks ago. Guess FCA finally decided it would be embarrassing to lead people on longer

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Wow. Quadretech just added it to their site about two weeks ago. Guess FCA finally decided it would be embarrassing to lead people on longer
I don’t think it’s necessarily about being embarrassed, but concerned having people like me not believe anything they say or advertise.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my max tow, and the red arc elite pro works great, but how in the hell do you claim your towing capacity is over 7600 lbs and the dealer can’t even install a brake controller to get you there?

They made it a priority to get the TSB for the steering box, but they can’t figure out a simple brake controller for 2.5 years? Something is fishy with this and it doesn’t add up. It’s almost like they don’t want to take the liability of us towing up to the max recommendations with everything OEM from them (JT, tow package, brake controller). My dealer even said they couldn’t back any warranty claims or accidents with an aftermarket controller installed.

Can you imagine if the if Ford advertised their Factory mustang GT could do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds with an optional factory installed super charger, claiming best acceleration in its class? And then after 2.5 years never had it available (and still claimed it was the fastest in class even though the configuration wasn’t available). Then said you can achieve the results with an aftermarket supercharger but wouldn’t install it and it could/would void your warranty if you did install it?

This whole FCA Jeep controller thing is BS.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Could be that a 3rd party is making it and due to covid, it's manufacturing is delayed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Could be that a 3rd party is making it and due to covid, it's manufacturing is delayed.
Oh, you mean like a lot of other parts - steering gear, wiring harnesses and other parts, or even parts for OTHER cars? Dealers all over are having trouble getting certain parts. Production is slowed, and the brake controller must come from a company that already makes them - for their OWN market plus for Jeep now? In the middle of a big slowdown?

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Oh, you mean like a lot of other parts - steering gear, wiring harnesses and other parts, or even parts for OTHER cars? Dealers all over are having trouble getting certain parts. Production is slowed, and the brake controller must come from a company that already makes them - for their OWN market plus for Jeep now? In the middle of a big slowdown?
That would be my guess. For now I am using my bluetooth brake controller. It does the job until I can get the Mopar one.

WayJayMane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Project Management
I ordered one of these when they popped up on Quadratec a few weeks ago (9/17). I sent a question via the product page and this was the Q/A:

Your Question:
Is this a true "plug and play" install if equipped with the factory tow package? Is any dealer involvement required to activate the option? If so, will a Tazer do the trick?

Our Answer:
This has gone back into development until Feb of 2021. We will see what Jeep comes up with at that time.

I got the reply above from Quadratec via email on 9/22 and my order was cancelled shortly after. The item page is not accessible. As others have stated, wait and see.

P.S. This is my first post. About a month ago, I traded in my 2014 JKU Sport S for a 2020 JTR. Already learned a wealth of information from this forum, so thank you guys! I will post an intro once the truck gets home from the detail shop where it's getting paint protection (PPF and ceramic coating). Also, I am long-time lurker on JK-Forum and the other one that shall not be named, never really posted but learned a lot.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I call bs on that. Covid came and started only affecting things in March and April. These things were supposed to be ready and shipped to supply houses over a year before. COVID is no excuse. If that was the case they wouldn’t have figured out this TSB steering box thing and been able to ship so many.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This isn’t a delay in some parts getting shipped, it’s a complete lack there of. They haven’t been available... to anyone!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered one of these when they popped up on Quadratec a few weeks ago (9/17). I sent a question via the product page and this was the Q/A:

Your Question:
Is this a true "plug and play" install if equipped with the factory tow package? Is any dealer involvement required to activate the option? If so, will a Tazer do the trick?

Our Answer:
This has gone back into development until Feb of 2021. We will see what Jeep comes up with at that time.

I got the reply above from Quadratec via email on 9/22 and my order was cancelled shortly after. The item page is not accessible. As others have stated, wait and see.

P.S. This is my first post. About a month ago, I traded in my 2014 JKU Sport S for a 2020 JTR. Already learned a wealth of information from this forum, so thank you guys! I will post an intro once the truck gets home from the detail shop where it's getting paint protection (PPF and ceramic coating). Also, I am long-time lurker on JK-Forum and the other one that shall not be named, never really posted but learned a lot.
See this is on to something. It’s not about parts or availability, it’s something with the development and release of the controller. Something is sketch, this isn’t normal.
Sponsored