Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Yes, thanks for the info. Looks like we might be able to order the LSD with a manual soon, too :)

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
This may be an obvious question to some, but I don’t have any experience with these. I’d like to have one on mine just to be prepared for when the infrequent time comes.

I have to assume that the com cables are already part of the truck led to the rear harness for the trailer lights. Is something like this typically a painless installation? I’d prefer OEM for its integration and similar finish inside the truck.

I’m also guessing that we lose the cigarette lighter power plug?

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I talked to my service manager, after looking at the system photos he said technically it does look like it is designed to replace the 12 volt plug, however he said they can possibly work around that. Either move the plug to another location or possible mount the controller left of the steering wheel next to the light switches. I like that idea. I have got to have the 12 volt plug for other electronics I use.

This may be an obvious question to some, but I don’t have any experience with these. I’d like to have one on mine just to be prepared for when the infrequent time comes.

I have to assume that the com cables are already part of the truck led to the rear harness for the trailer lights. Is something like this typically a painless installation? I’d prefer OEM for its integration and similar finish inside the truck.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm anxious to see the price on this. My guess is around $250 + $100 labor. If so, that'll make it unrealistic since the aftermarket units are so much less.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
FWIW I saw the Ram unit listed for $299 in the MOPAR Accessories catalog

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
LSD + Manual?? Do tell. : )
I just noticed it in the pic @B345T included with his post about the brake controller. The LSD (a.k.a. anti-spin diff rear axle) can be ordered today on a Sport with the manual, but not the Sport S for some reason.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s

Yes, all Gladiators come with both 4 pin and 7 pin trailer wiring. There is a socket under the dash that any brake controller can use to communicate with the Jeep. Quite refreshing, actually, as I've had cases in the past where it seemed the automaker went out of their way to make intentionally difficult to add a brake controller after the fact (*cough* Ford Transit *cough*).

This is the last feature I'm waiting for before ordering my Gladiator as I, too, want the OEM integrated brake controller. Everyone assumes it will be available as an aftermarket kit to add to any Gladiator past and present, but FCA has put out so little info on it that I don't want to risk that not being the case. I'm also pretty certain adding the OEM controller will eliminate your 12v plug. If you look at the most recent order book, the brake controller option code (XHC) is actually listed in a couple of places to note that the smokers group is not available with it. I'm guessing because there is no 12v socket to plug the included lighter into.

As @Mkcagle noted your dealer may be able to relocate the control knob. I've seen other aftermarket controller installs here that did the same, though a lot of them are designed for flexible placement (the OEM one may not be).

OP
OP
B345T

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I'm also pretty certain adding the OEM controller will eliminate your 12v plug.
You are correct it does take the place of the plug.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I sent some e-mails and did some digging. The latest word from FCA is that "factory ordering for the trailer brake controller is late Q4/early Q1".

So, we're looking at Christmas or perhaps after the new year before the factory unit becomes available, on the current schedule, assuming no further delays.

OP
OP
B345T

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I sent some e-mails and did some digging. The latest word from FCA is that "factory ordering for the trailer brake controller is late Q4/early Q1".

So, we're looking at Christmas or perhaps after the new year before the factory unit becomes available, on the current schedule, assuming no further delays.
Well according to the daily news from FCA ordering ... I will know more on October 11th when next allocation is released..

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
B345T

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Just looked at the order bank and not listed, I am not at work today so do not know the parts status..
Sponsored