Sponsored

Failed software update.....code 20 killed my 8.4 unit.....

pkcal

First Name
PKCAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Two wks ago came out to garage to find 8.4 uconnect screen reading 'update failed, code 20 - see dealer'. Tried every 8.4 reset I could find, pulled/replaced fuse 97 etc. but stuck somewhere in failed software push. Dealer says needs new head unit, but after stringing me along with 'part should be in tomorrow or next day' they tell me May 4th or later. Anyone know if these radios are on backorder or know a source for a head unit.

2020 Launch Edition Gladiator -- first issue in almost two years ownership, first time back to the dealer!
Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Our 2018 JLUR 8.4 bricked as well, dealer had a replacement done for me in 4 days, this was two weeks ago.

Hadoken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
So you took the spare FCA had on the shelf.

:LOL:
I sure hope there is a way to disable auto updates. While it’s under warranty, no big deal, but what happens in 5 years when something FCA does bricks your radio and you’re stuck paying for it out of pocket?
That’s no different than a FCA mechanic coming to my garage and breaking something but me being on the hook for it.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2016 JKU, 2020 JT Mojave
I sure hope there is a way to disable auto updates. While it’s under warranty, no big deal, but what happens in 5 years when something FCA does bricks your radio and you’re stuck paying for it out of pocket?
That’s no different than a FCA mechanic coming to my garage and breaking something but me being on the hook for it.
Dont worry, they wont update anything for free after you're out of warranty

Sponsored

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Two wks ago came out to garage to find 8.4 uconnect screen reading 'update failed, code 20 - see dealer'. Tried every 8.4 reset I could find, pulled/replaced fuse 97 etc. but stuck somewhere in failed software push. Dealer says needs new head unit, but after stringing me along with 'part should be in tomorrow or next day' they tell me May 4th or later. Anyone know if these radios are on backorder or know a source for a head unit.

2020 Launch Edition Gladiator -- first issue in almost two years ownership, first time back to the dealer!
I know this doesn’t answer your question about units being on back order, but when I was recently getting my rig serviced, another owner was getting the head unit replaced in his rig (he was being a douche which is why I remember), I remember the service writer saying they have no control or idea when when replacement units will arrive due to high demand. She said FCA doesn’t provide an ETA and they are at the mercy of FCA.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Radios have always been a stocking problem for warranty replacement. My understanding is they give priority to source "reconditioned" head units before allocating any new build units.

Makes me wonder if the current chip shortage may be playing a hand in the issue also?

OP
OP

pkcal

First Name
PKCAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Update - dealer replaced 8.4 head unit (and battery) as they said the failed update drained the battery to the point it didn’t test well. Silver lining of driving a Cherokee for a few weeks is a brand new battery (my launch edition is right at 2yrs old) plus the new head unit has Sirius trial for now so that’s a plus.
Sponsored