Sponsored

FCA: I just 'intentionally' spent 5 Grand fixing old jeep. In case JT price is stupidly high. fyi

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
FCA,

I have a beautiful jeep! I own it. I love it. It works. It's my 5th Jeep. I just spent five thousand dollars to get it running for the next couple of years. I could have spent that on a new truck purchased from your company, but I have some concerns.

First, I am happy and I can keep my existing Jeep, or not.

Second, I'd like to get the new JT. I've wanted the JT since 05! The Gladiator is beautiful and superior. Great great Jeep truck! My heart is saying yes to purchase.

However, I'm price sensitive. Whether I get my JT new from Jeep, or used from someone who got it from jeep, depends on MSRP, which is up to your company.

Really, depends whether JT is priced sensibly like the Cherokee, or priced insensibly like that $96,000 Jeep currently offered by your company.

Looking forward to pricing announcement!

Thanks for reading just one Jeep guy's opinion.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Really, depends whether JT is priced sensibly like the Cherokee, or priced insensibly like that $96,000 Jeep currently offered by your company.
What one is that? The trackhawk? Its only $80,000, maybe $96,000 with options.

Its also a lot more luxury and performance than the gladiator will be. but i get your point.

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
Thanks. But it depends on what price you believe makes it a non factor to consider? If the JT falls between 40-55K (depending on trim) it’ll sell like crazy. Most vehicles sold today are well within that price point and consumers keep on buying. If the JT falls into prices like you believe, then FCA can eat a .......

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What one is that? The trackhawk? Its only $80,000, maybe $96,000 with options.

Its also a lot more luxury and performance than the gladiator will be. but i get your point.
The trackhawk motortrend reviewed was $100,960, jeep.com said 86K, so somewhere in that range. Even the people who buy it say it's stupid money. Hey, if you got it, enjoy it!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The trackhawk motortrend reviewed was $100,960, jeep.com said 86K, so somewhere in that range. Even the people who buy it say it's stupid money. Hey, if you got it, enjoy it!
Well i'm not ragging on people who buy a trackhawk, but no way the gladiator rubicon will be that much. Base price grans cherokee is only $32k

Sponsored

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. But it depends on what price you believe makes it a non factor to consider? If the JT falls between 40-55K (depending on trim) it’ll sell like crazy. Most vehicles sold today are well within that price point and consumers keep on buying. If the JT falls into prices like you believe, then FCA can eat a .......
Consumers keep on borrowing.

Recall auto industry bail outs? Too big to fail? So now we think it's okay to go down the same path? No thanks. Keep the price reasonable, carve out a no frills package w sport, max tow, and be under 40K. A future package. To each his own, and that's my own ask.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
At the risk of starting and argument I must say that “letter” to FCA is among the dumbest things I have ever seen on this forum. All you have in pricing is assumptions. You really have no idea what the price of the truck will be but you run out and make all of these statements as if you know something and cause FCA of not pricing the truck sensibly when they haven’t even priced it yet.

To me the sensible thing to do is wait to see what the price is before you start making such statements. Just one man’s opinion, hope you’re not offended too much but...

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
At the risk of starting and argument I must say that “letter” to FCA is among the dumbest things I have ever seen on this forum. All you have in pricing is assumptions. You really have no idea what the price of the truck will be but you run out and make all of these statements as if you know something and cause FCA of not pricing the truck sensibly when they haven’t even priced it yet.

To me the sensible thing to do is wait to see what the price is before you start making such statements. Just one man’s opinion, hope you’re not offended too much but...
Awesome. No offense taken. Thank you for the respect.

Our ability to share and sharpen ideas is good.

Someone pointed out price was settled awhile back, so it won't matter anyhow.

I don't know anything or anyone.

Their words were that they are planning an intentially high price on this vehicle, nobody made them say so, and they have not corrected the record or taken it back. I'm against it, and yes it is stupid to intentionally charge a high price when they can make a profit at a lesser price. That is knowingly participating in bubble pricing, ten years after that bubble popped causing bad for all of us who had to pay to bail their asses out. Don't do it!

I think decent people in FCA may read this.

I want a low priced kick ass Jeep Truck.

I'll stand by what I wrote, and gladly take in different ideas to maybe learn.

Hope that makes sense. My opinions.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I totally agree 5JeepsAz. Jeep said from the start that they were going to make it intentionally expensive, almost astounding to hear. Hopefully they will come to their senses and give it a reasonable price. I already have a price in mind that I would be willing to pay. But I am not going to post that price as they may price it based on what they read that people are prepared to pay. Hopefully they will price it less. For certain if they try to overprice it then I will take my business and my hard earned money elsewhere. And I hope that this is what many others will do if Jeep tries to overprice it. For now I sit back and wait for the prices to come out before I do anything. And I cross fingers too. It’s a nice truck that they have come out with, gotta congratulate them for that.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree 5JeepsAz. Jeep said from the start that they were going to make it intentionally expensive, almost astounding to hear. Hopefully they will come to their senses and give it a reasonable price. I already have a price in mind that I would be willing to pay. But I am not going to post that price as they may price it based on what they read that people are prepared to pay. Hopefully they will price it less. For certain if they try to overprice it then I will take my business and my hard earned money elsewhere. And I hope that this is what many others will do if Jeep tries to overprice it. For now I sit back and wait for the prices to come out before I do anything. And I cross fingers too. It’s a nice truck that they have come out with, gotta congratulate them for that.
I may not take my money elsewhere, but might just keep driving my high mileage grand caravan until they come to their senses.

Do we know when the "ordering banks" open up?

Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93YJ
I may not take my money elsewhere, but might just keep driving my high mileage grand caravan until they come to their senses.

Do we know when the "ordering banks" open up?
I've heard March 1st from my local dealer in NC. I too will not be taking my money elsewhere as this is the Jeep I've been waiting for. I'm driving a 93YJ with 199,330 miles on it. I'm prepared to keep driving though if prices come out of the gate untouchable. I like most people have to weigh the impact of a significant financial decision.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Awesome. No offense taken. Thank you for the respect.

Our ability to share and sharpen ideas is good.

Someone pointed out price was settled awhile back, so it won't matter anyhow.

I don't know anything or anyone.

Their words were that they are planning an intentially high price on this vehicle, nobody made them say so, and they have not corrected the record or taken it back. I'm against it, and yes it is stupid to intentionally charge a high price when they can make a profit at a lesser price. That is knowingly participating in bubble pricing, ten years after that bubble popped causing bad for all of us who had to pay to bail their asses out. Don't do it!

I want a low priced kick ass Jeep Truck.

I'll stand by what I wrote, and gladly take in different ideas to maybe learn.

Hope that makes sense. My opinions.
Wow what a refreshing response. Not often we come across a grown ass man who can take criticism like a grown ass man. You sir impress me. I know what they said about pricing but that was a very long time ago and early in the program. Jeep can earn a premium on Gladiator because it is a Jeep.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn

I think that when FCA stated that "...the Gladiator will be expensive, intentionally so." they weren't trying to announce "bubble pricing" as you coined it, but rather that the tech and ruggedness of the vehicle, if done properly and without compromise, would require them to make a substantial investment into both the development and production of the Gladiator. It is far and away the most capable Jeep ever made. What else does their lineup have that will be able to tow 7,600 lbs and 4 people and all of their gear and get it to the places that the Gladiator will have access to? All without being a 3-ton behemoth that can't be used anywhere remotely urban because of its size? I grow tired of the Raptor comparisons: this is in no way a direct competitor to the Raptor. Nearly as bad are the comparisons to the Ranger and the Colorado. While these 2, especially in their off-road trims, are more than capable for most mid-sized truck shopper's needs, they are simply different animals. The Gladiator's modular design alone separates it from nearly everything on the road, with or without a bed. The average modder can lift a Wrangler 3 inches in an afternoon, with a minimum of experience and equipment. Want a 4x4 convertible with a bed that can haul as much ass as you can fit in it anywhere you want to take it, that will get you home happy and safe and that you can hose down, inside and out at the end of the day? You have 1 choice: the Gladiator.

I have speculated much about price around here, and have been accused of stoking the hype as well as providing some sane insight. My bottom line is simple: The Gladiator is an over-engineered Swiss Army knife on wheels with absolutely no direct competitor fueling almost rabid interest from a following that started nearly a decade prior to its launch.

Tell me, what do you expect Jeep to price it at?

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Either way in my humble opinion any vehicle that's priced over $50,000 is just crazy. At that point it's a total luxury and a toy. It's not the vehicle that gets you from point A to point B or your work vehicle.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way in my humble opinion any vehicle that's priced over $50,000 is just crazy. At that point it's a total luxury and a toy. It's not the vehicle that gets you from point A to point B or your work vehicle.
Perhaps not for you. I just paid $50,800 plus $2500 for a large paint protection film and complete exterior ceramic coating, plus $2700 for a lifetime FCA warranty on our Pacifica MINIVAN Hybrid. that's crazy, but it has every option, dual tvs for the kids, every safety feature out now and I intend to keep it for 15 years. No other Minivan had all of these options and features,so I paid for it. It's beautiful, functional, fun, fast, comfortable and safe for my family. Best minivan low $50ks,best midsize truck low $50ks......yeah I'll probably buy it.
Sponsored