Sponsored

Feedback Requested - Custom Slide-In for Overlanding

Would you be interested in something like this?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@smlobx posted a video in @TJ Mitchell Films thread about a custom bed rack that inspired me to post this idea that I've been thinking about for a while. In that video, there is a company in South Africa that rents overlanding rigs with a slide-in topper/rack:

hilc2-night.jpg

My idea is similar, but only a few inches above the bedrail in height (just high enough to clear a fridge) and a half rack to keep the tent low. Side access storage like the RamBox at the wheel wells. Similar to this, but modified to suit overlanders with a rack for a tent:

Service-body---pickup-pack-1.jpg

Inside would be a drawer kitchen and a fridge like they've shown or on a slide; maybe a retractable cover between the wells or a cargoslide to access Pelican or Wolf Pack style boxes of gear above the drawer; a swing out door like the South African rig at the top with a drop down table...:idea:

Or maybe forgo the separate fridge and go with a Trax Trail Kitchen like this, but inside the slide-in:
Proto1b_zpsg7pwprg2.jpg

Slide it into the bed when overlanding, but store it in the garage the rest of the time to allow full use of the bed. Make it out of aluminum to keep weight down (but no checkerplate :puke:) with a nice anodized or powercoat finish for durability. Watertight, dustproof and secure.

The purpose of this thread is to collect ideas and post 3D model images as I work through the design. It would be a pet project for me and just for fun at this point, so it likely will be slow going, but I like the idea of crowd-source thinking. I've been planning to model something up in Blender or SketchUp and post for ideas/feedback, and then see what it would cost to get one custom made or maybe see if there is interest from a fabricator to bring it to market (but that's not the end goal).

So, what say you, fellow JT fans? Worth exploring, or dumb idea?
Sponsored

Attachments

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Interesting I like the idea! It might be a bit more complicated than what I’m willing to try building but I think it’s a great idea. I’ll be following the thread to see what you come up with

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Interesting idea.
I like the trail kitchen. I’ll have to look into that a bit more.
For my use I will need a full height canopy as my rtt is 6+ ft long so it will extend over the roof of the Gladiator’s cab a bit.
Sponsored