Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I like having the tube doors on. Not so much changing back and forth simply because brief rain forecast. While I'm going to buy a "proper" cab cover, they aren't always in stock. Also, I haven't finished doing my excessive amount of research, internet review browsing, and checking of availability from every vendor. So, until a real cab cover is obtained, I'm whipping up a DIY temporary solution.

One Harbor Freight tarp about 11 x 15: < $10
One box cutter, drywall knife, Spyderco Delica 4, or other cutting tool: we've already got one
A few stretch cords to hold it down to the rails: found under back seat.
Some 1/2" grommets for the cut edge: had some left over, but a kit with anvil, punch, and 100 grommet sets runs around $15. I only used 4 grommets.

I lopped enough off one edge so the tarp draped from rail, over roof, down to the other rail. Factory edge and grommets on one side. The tarp is pulled forward so the leading factory edge comes to the windshield/hood line. Front corners from windshield/hood down to the rail behind the front fender cut out. Corner folded neatly (ask someone who knows how to make a bed or wrap a present). Now the back of the tarp is dropped down the back window, leaving a few inches to stuff between the cab and the bed. Hack off excess tarp. Another notch and corner fold and the back is done.

Jeep Gladiator Field expedient cab rain cover: $10, a box cutter, 4 stretch cords mojave cab cover

Yes, I'll trim up the corners. I didn't want to create a seam that I'd then have to waterproof. I installed 4 grommets along the passenger edge where I cut the tarp. The other side still has the factory edge and grommets. I may just put a grommet at each of those (currently) folded and clipped corners.

Now I can go back to the checking here daily for a change from "Out of Stock".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vicegrips

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.