Sponsored

Finally getting 4.88 gears, but how do you go about breaking in the front diff?

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Do I simple run my JT in 4Hi for the next 500miles then change the diff fluid?
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Do I simple run my JT in 4Hi for the next 500miles then change the diff fluid?
No, you don't want to do that if you are going to be driving it on road. My suggestion is that you get the break-in procedure in writing from the gear manufacturer or the shop doing the re-gear, then follow it exactly. That way if there is any issue, you can go back to them.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
It's the rear dif, 4WD should have nothing to do with it.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The same way we break them in when new from the factory? Seriously, I’ve wondered why there are break-in procedures for new aftermarket gears, but not new production gears.

KohalaHutch

First Name
Hutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangler: MW3 Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I just got mine done with 4.88 Spicers at Rebel Off Road and this is what they gave to me:

RING AND PINION GEAR BREAK IN DISCLOSURE:
DUE TO THEIR HIGHER PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS, AFTERMARKET RING AND PINION GEARS MUST MESH TOGETHER AS THEIR TOLERANCES ARE MUCH TIGHTER THAN OEM. THESE BREAK IN PROCEDURES ARE MORE THAN OUR SUGGESTION, THEY MUST BE FOLLOWED TO ENSURE A LONG LIFE.
-SCHEDULE A COMPLIMENTARY DIFFERENTIAL DRAIN AND FILL AFTER FIRST 500 MILES OF DRIVING POST REGEAR. THIS IS OUR FIRST OPPORTUNITY TO INSPECT GEAR OIL AND CLEAN OUT DIFFERENTIAL AFTER NEW RING AND PINION GEARS MESH.
- UPON RECIEVING YOUR NEWLY REGEARED VEHICLE EXPECT IT TO ACCELERATE FASTER AND DECELERATE FASTER. DO YOUR BEST TO AVOID HIGH SPEED TAKE OFFS FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- ATTEMPT TO AVOID LONG TRIPS FOR FIRST 500 MILES SINCE
CONSTANT SPEED DOES NOT ALLOW FOR PROPER MESHING.
- LET THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL COOL (TO THE TOUCH) BEFORE LONG TRIPS. BASIC RULE, 2 HOURS ON, 1 HOUR OFF, FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- DO NOT TOW FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- VARY VEHICLE SPEED FREQUENTLY FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES. CRUISE CONTROL SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I just got mine done with 4.88 Spicers at Rebel Off Road and this is what they gave to me:

RING AND PINION GEAR BREAK IN DISCLOSURE:
DUE TO THEIR HIGHER PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS, AFTERMARKET RING AND PINION GEARS MUST MESH TOGETHER AS THEIR TOLERANCES ARE MUCH TIGHTER THAN OEM. THESE BREAK IN PROCEDURES ARE MORE THAN OUR SUGGESTION, THEY MUST BE FOLLOWED TO ENSURE A LONG LIFE.
-SCHEDULE A COMPLIMENTARY DIFFERENTIAL DRAIN AND FILL AFTER FIRST 500 MILES OF DRIVING POST REGEAR. THIS IS OUR FIRST OPPORTUNITY TO INSPECT GEAR OIL AND CLEAN OUT DIFFERENTIAL AFTER NEW RING AND PINION GEARS MESH.
- UPON RECIEVING YOUR NEWLY REGEARED VEHICLE EXPECT IT TO ACCELERATE FASTER AND DECELERATE FASTER. DO YOUR BEST TO AVOID HIGH SPEED TAKE OFFS FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- ATTEMPT TO AVOID LONG TRIPS FOR FIRST 500 MILES SINCE
CONSTANT SPEED DOES NOT ALLOW FOR PROPER MESHING.
- LET THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL COOL (TO THE TOUCH) BEFORE LONG TRIPS. BASIC RULE, 2 HOURS ON, 1 HOUR OFF, FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- DO NOT TOW FOR FIRST 500 MILES.
- VARY VEHICLE SPEED FREQUENTLY FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES. CRUISE CONTROL SHOULD BE AVOIDED.
That still doesn’t address breaking in the front, which don’t spin unless in 4WD.

KohalaHutch

First Name
Hutch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangler: MW3 Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
That still doesn’t address breaking in the front, which don’t spin unless in 4WD.
excellent point! I’ll have to reach out to Spicer directly and see what they have to say about it. I’m guessing it’s more of the same just with four-wheel-drive enabled but doesn’t hurt to check.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Don’t run it In 4 hi unless off pavement.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you have 4hi auto.
Exactly. When my 5.13’s went in, they called for a 1000 mile break in. First 100 miles under 45mph, the remaining 900 miles under 65mph. I ran the entire 1000 miles in 4high auto to rotate the pinion, but not the axles unless there was slip. Always varying speeds and never using cruise control.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
The same way we break them in when new from the factory? Seriously, I’ve wondered why there are break-in procedures for new aftermarket gears, but not new production gears.
i’ve always thought that was odd too. Off the lot we don’t think about it 🤣
Sponsored