Sponsored

Finally got to test drive one today

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Orange Coast Dodge Chrysler and Jeep has 7 on the lot today. I went down and took a well optioned Rubicon for a quick drive. We even stopped to get gas. Here's a few things that came up:

1) The hard top liner is pretty janky. It looks like it was tacked on with elmers glue. Don't order that. You can do better I'm sure.
2) The 8.4" screen really is not as big as it sounds, but it's very adequate. I for some reason had envisioned it to be a bit bigger.
3) The backup camera is amazing. The resolution is so high that you just want to stare at it. I was blown away.
4) The truck has plenty of power for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I drive a 650HP Range Rover and still would like more power. BUT, that is really not the point of this truck. And I found it quite responsive and it had enough juice to get up an go when I pushed it. I was very pleasantly surprised after all the lackluster statements some have made about it being a 'dog'. It is not.
5) The tonneau covery is pretty nice in person. I am sure there will be better aftermarket options, but it felt nice and solid.
6) The truck feels VERY comfortable. It is a very nice feel and position. The steering does feel a bit vague and loose, but not so much that it would be dangerous. Bumps and potholes really had no affect on me at any speed. Brakes felt great and the transmission felt nice and smooth. I also let go of the wheel while on a straight line and it didn't veer off of the line at all for several hundred yards. Very impressed with ride quality.
7) Turn radius was one of my concerns and I'm happy to report the radius was actually quite tight and acceptable. I made several u-turns with no issues at normal speeds.
8) Stereo / Audio quality was okay. I'm no Audiophile, but I would like to improve the sounds bit. It sounded a bit low quality to me. Like something you might find on a 20 year old car. Acceptable, but not great.
9) The dealer wanted full MSRP. Lease deals they quoted me sucked. They wanted $880/mo for 36 months with $3k down (on a 60k msrp) 10k/yr. That's a bad deal in my book. At that rate I would buy. They weren't willing to negotiate just yet.
10) I like the stock Rubicon wheels more than the "Upgraded" Rubicon wheels I saw them side by side. Pics below.
11) About Color: as many of you know, I ordered red, then I saw silver and had some regrets. I'm happy to say, that side-by-side I actually prefer red. It has a lot of pop and it makes it look like a super fun toy. Here's my take-away: If you want to make your Jeep look serious and bad-ass, go with Silver or Black. If you want it to look like a fun toy, I would go with red (or orange when that's available). I now like the currently available colors in this order (Red, Silver, White, Black).
But they all look amazing.

One last thing. I noticed on the build sheet for the car I tested today that it said: "97 mph Vehicle Max Speed Calibration", Does this mean that is truly the top speed? See below.

L0e5Fsw.png

Otherwise. Ask me anything else.

3opzjwl.jpg

oobDNe9.jpg
F8ZUzvm.jpg
WQH6pXF.jpg
s9YWHbM.jpg
MCos9Iz.jpg
7nhxDxu.jpg
Sponsored

HigBeasty

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I believe that speed limit is for the M/T tires.

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I like the White Rubicon in the background with the Black Top....that would be the one change I'd opt for....maybe I'll get a black soft top!

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Orange Coast Dodge Chrysler and Jeep has 7 on the lot today. I went down and took a well optioned Rubicon for a quick drive. We even stopped to get gas. Here's a few things that came up:

1) The hard top liner is pretty janky. It looks like it was tacked on with elmers glue. Don't order that. You can do better I'm sure.
2) The 8.4" screen really is not as big as it sounds, but it's very adequate. I for some reason had envisioned it to be a bit bigger.
3) The backup camera is amazing. The resolution is so high that you just want to stare at it. I was blown away.
4) The truck has plenty of power for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I drive a 650HP Range Rover and still would like more power. BUT, that is really not the point of this truck. And I found it quite responsive and it had enough juice to get up an go when I pushed it. I was very pleasantly surprised after all the lackluster statements some have made about it being a 'dog'. It is not.
5) The tonneau covery is pretty nice in person. I am sure there will be better aftermarket options, but it felt nice and solid.
6) The truck feels VERY comfortable. It is a very nice feel and position. The steering does feel a bit vague and loose, but not so much that it would be dangerous. Bumps and potholes really had no affect on me at any speed. Brakes felt great and the transmission felt nice and smooth. I also let go of the wheel while on a straight line and it didn't veer off of the line at all for several hundred yards. Very impressed with ride quality.
7) Turn radius was one of my concerns and I'm happy to report the radius was actually quite tight and acceptable. I made several u-turns with no issues at normal speeds.
8) Stereo / Audio quality was okay. I'm no Audiophile, but I would like to improve the sounds bit. It sounded a bit low quality to me. Like something you might find on a 20 year old car. Acceptable, but not great.
9) The dealer wanted full MSRP. Lease deals they quoted me sucked. They wanted $880/mo for 36 months with $3k down (on a 60k msrp) 10k/yr. That's a bad deal in my book. At that rate I would buy. They weren't willing to negotiate just yet.
10) I like the stock Rubicon wheels more than the "Upgraded" Rubicon wheels I saw them side by side. Pics below.
11) About Color: as many of you know, I ordered red, then I saw silver and had some regrets. I'm happy to say, that side-by-side I actually prefer red. It has a lot of pop and it makes it look like a super fun toy. Here's my take-away: If you want to make your Jeep look serious and bad-ass, go with Silver or Black. If you want it to look like a fun toy, I would go with red (or orange when that's available). I now like the currently available colors in this order (Red, Silver, White, Black).
But they all look amazing.

One last thing. I noticed on the build sheet for the car I tested today that it said: "97 mph Vehicle Max Speed Calibration", Does this mean that is truly the top speed? See below.

L0e5Fsw.png

Otherwise. Ask me anything else.

3opzjwl.jpg

oobDNe9.jpg
F8ZUzvm.jpg
WQH6pXF.jpg
s9YWHbM.jpg
MCos9Iz.jpg
7nhxDxu.jpg
Nice review. I agree with you on your comments regarding the Firecracker Red. Definitely a fun color. I'm caught between fun (red) and bad ass (black).

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
@trez63 thank you awesome post! Really good to know it has some get up and go and about turning radius

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Nice review. I agree with you on your comments regarding the Firecracker Red. Definitely a fun color. I'm caught between fun (red) and bad ass (black).
My honest opinion on black is, it really didn’t have the luster I get get good black paints. It was kinda dead. I think if you wanna go badass, you’re better of waiting for some of the other colors like Gobi or Gray.
Sponsored