First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Dispatcher
Only have 4500 miles on my 21 Mojave Manual transmission, " love it btw", but noticed some pre detonation when using 87. I recently installed 2 catch cans (1 on each PVC line) and it has eliminated the pinging. They are collecting oil that would otherwise go back to the combustion chamber to dilute the already lean fuel burn on the 3.6. Runs better. This is NOT a placebo effect, I have collected oil in both cans. Both my 3.6 engines have these now.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Only have 4500 miles on my 21 Mojave Manual transmission, " love it btw", but noticed some pre detonation when using 87. I recently installed 2 catch cans (1 on each PVC line) and it has eliminated the pinging. They are collecting oil that would otherwise go back to the combustion chamber to dilute the already lean fuel burn on the 3.6. Runs better. This is NOT a placebo effect, I have collected oil in both cans. Both my 3.6 engines have these now.
Which cans are you using?

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Waiting for follow up info

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be too much of a prick, but you are combining 2 terms into 1.
Pre-ignition
Detonation.

No such thing as pre-detonation. Just a heads up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dailey

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Dispatcher
UPR is the silver one, Generic one is the black. I'll be getting another UPR to replace the generic one, (just so it's the same). I'll post pics later of what is in the silver one later today. Super easy to install. UPR comes with stock style fittings so its plug and play, also UPR has a drain fitting so you don't have to unscrew it all the time. "Also had to include a pic of the jeep as well"

IMG_20210830_024704980.jpg

IMG_20210830_024657013.jpg

IMG_20210606_172436818.jpg

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Not to be too much of a prick, but you are combining 2 terms into 1.
Pre-ignition
Detonation.

No such thing as pre-detonation. Just a heads up.
Does sound pricky, kinda maybe a dink. If taken out of context that is... you are not wrong. Pre detonation would be that Picosecond prior to combustion, no ping then. Only after combustion and prior to spark. As I have been taught anyhow.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Where does the second one connect? I assume the UPR one connects/intercepts the EGR on the drivers side of the motor. I have had one on my truck for about 15k miles, I have to empty it every 3-4k miles, more frequently when towing a lot, surprising how much stuff it collects.

Pergrem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Yamaha/BRP Tech
Some people do this on the Ford Raptor. There is a "dirty" side and a "clean" side. For some people, the second can would collect oil as well. Others claimed it did not.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
So you're running two catch cans in-line, or something different? Pics of the whole setup?

i just installed the mishimoto and knock is 95% gone on 89 octane. I tried to put the jeep under load, low speed, uphill at 1,500 rpm in 90 degree weather, 400 ft elevation, and i could not get it to knock but once. I'd call that a win. I think not having to burn blow by on lower octane fuel with 11.3:1 compression makes life easier on the pentastar

but curious about your two-can setup as far as how the lines are run for the two cans

512CF4E3-A434-47E2-8545-9E04C39769BB.jpeg

Sponsored

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, 1998 M1123
Occupation
Centurion, Earth Occupation Forces
Ive noticed oil in both sides of the PCV. Intake side obviously, but also the fresh air side at the air cleaner end. Took off the air filter housing and saw a small pool of oil beneath the fitting that goes to the crankcase breather.

Im gonna try the two catch cans. One on the intake manifold run and one on the air cleaner run.
I got two of the style with the baffle plate and sintered bronze filter.

Gotta finish the mount bracket still...

Jeep Gladiator Finally stopped the engine pinging! 20210903_163332

DSCN4379.JPG

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
UPR is the silver one, Generic one is the black. I'll be getting another UPR to replace the generic one, (just so it's the same). I'll post pics later of what is in the silver one later today. Super easy to install. UPR comes with stock style fittings so its plug and play, also UPR has a drain fitting so you don't have to unscrew it all the time. "Also had to include a pic of the jeep as well"

Jeep Gladiator Finally stopped the engine pinging! DSCN4379.JPG

I just bought a Mishimoto, haven't installed yet. UPR is cheaper and I think I like UPR baffle set up and hoses better. Still the Mishimoto sould be fine, haven't heard anything bad about it. Raining today, put it in tomorrow. I have to poke around and see where you are installing the second one after I get this one installed.

OP
OP

Dailey

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Dispatcher
I just bought a Mishimoto, haven't installed yet. UPR is cheaper and I think I like UPR baffle set up and hoses better. Still the Mishimoto sould be fine, haven't heard anything bad about it. Raining today, put it in tomorrow. I have to poke around and see where you are installing the second one after I get this one installed.
I decided to trade mine in. Only 4850 miles and was consuming way too much oil. Showed a service tech all the oil in the catch can after only 100 miles, they ran some test and said it had to much blow by...said they will replace the engine under warranty. So I traded it. Ended up with a ram 1500 4x4. I'll just stay with my TJs.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
For what it is worth, I've never experienced pinging, knock, detonation, etc running 87.

My Gladiator also hasn't consumed a single drop of oil in 10k miles.

Sorry OP that you were having issues. Also glad that you didn't go with an Audi, who claim 1L of oil consumed every 1km is normal.
Sponsored