Sponsored

Fire Extinguisher Mounting Location

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
Where are you guys planning on putting your fire extinguishers?

Pretty easy in the JK/JL, but the options are far more limited on the JT. I sat in the back for a bit to figure a location and the only places that look like they will work are on the forward part of the roll bar right next to the rear seat. There is not tons of room, but it should work without banging into it offroad. Bolting a mount to the rear of the soundbar would be another good place if it could support it without FUBARing the soundbar.

Either location kind of forces a rip off or QD mount. Some soft mounts have a QD like operation where you pull the extinguisher straight up, but I don't think that will work in either location. The seat belts on the roll bar are another concern so that has to be figured when picking a mount. A lot of QD mounts push the extinguisher out from the rollbar which would not be ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't have a new halon extinguisher yet so I can't take measurements. Anybody else have something planned or done?
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Where are you guys planning on putting your fire extinguishers?

Pretty easy in the JK/JL, but the options are far more limited on the JT. I sat in the back for a bit to figure a location and the only places that look like they will work are on the forward part of the roll bar right next to the rear seat. There is not tons of room, but it should work without banging into it offroad. Bolting a mount to the rear of the soundbar would be another good place if it could support it without FUBARing the soundbar.

Either location kind of forces a rip off or QD mount. Some soft mounts have a QD like operation where you pull the extinguisher straight up, but I don't think that will work in either location. The seat belts on the roll bar are another concern so that has to be figured when picking a mount. A lot of QD mounts push the extinguisher out from the rollbar which would not be ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't have a new halon extinguisher yet so I can't take measurements. Anybody else have something planned or done?
WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE EXTINGUISHERS ? Is EVERY JEEPER a Volunteer Fire-Person ?

ps; purposely not using a smiley- emoji, just to see if I tweek anyone the wrong way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE EXTINGUISHERS ? Is EVERY JEEPER a Volunteer Fire-Person ?

ps; purposely not using a smiley- emoji, just to see if I tweet anyone the wrong way.
I may go by ColdSRT on here, but in real life, I go by Smokey The Motherf***ing Bear! Haha.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have found that the fire extinguisher that you have maybe the one that saves your rig. I have been a driver a lot in Europe and a fire extinguisher, warning triangle and first aid kit is mandatory in all vehicle's. This is also required in all military vehicles. I wonder why? I think it makes sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to be the guy to make anything mandatory, but for my rig, a fire extinguisher is always mandatory. I've seen too many dollars go up in flames on the trails or at the track to not make that a priority. That's not to mention the potential for injury/death if someone were trapped.

I realize I may never use it and believe me, I think about that over and over when trying to get a proper halon/halatron extinguisher shipped to Alaska, but I would like a fighting chance at saving my rig from a total loss if there were a fire. I also realize that some people add them to look cool without the slightest idea how to use them. Hopefully someone at the mall can show them how in the case of an emergency.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
When in graduate school I was driving to Chicago from the east. About 40 miles outside of town I happened to stop at a rest stop. A van pulled in next to me and I could see that he was over heating severely. I watched steam pile out for a few seconds and then went to do my business. When I came out I could see flames under the hood and the driver being quite frantic. I had a fire extinguisher in my vehicle so grabbed it and sprayed it on the fire. I emptied the extinguisher. But the fire kept coming back alive. 3 others joined in with their fire extinguishers including a full sized one from the rest area. All were emptied. The fire reignited after each one. I moved my car away. The fire really got going then. It soon became apparent that the fire was not to be contained as it soon engulfed the entire engine compartment. At that point we told the driver to empty everything from the back which we helped to do. By the time we emptied all his stuff from the back of the van the fire was inside the drivers area. By then the front tires were also on fire. Then the inside of the cabin just went up in flames and the back tires soon caught. The fire department then showed up and started to spray water but by then it was a total loss. All this occurred in the space of about 4 minutes or less. This guy must have driven his van way beyond over heating as it was so hot. Water would likely have saved his vehicle but nobody had any. Dry chemical fire extinguishers had no impact at all on this fire. They certainly put out the flames briefly but the engine was so hot it just reignited and spread. Needless to say I still carry a fire extinguisher.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I have found that the fire extinguisher that you have maybe the one that saves your rig. I have been a driver a lot in Europe and a fire extinguisher, warning triangle and first aid kit is mandatory in all vehicle's. This is also required in all military vehicles. I wonder why? I think it makes sense.
. . . and leave it to JOWEN to take the fun out of it . . . jeez . . . OF course your right ! Happy ?;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm seriously looking at a few of these per vehicle. They should fit in the front door pockets or at least be way easier to mount or find a home for. They also ship to Alaska without bending me over. https://elementfire.com

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm seriously looking at a few of these per vehicle. They should fit in the front door pockets or at least be way easier to mount or find a home for. They also ship to Alaska without bending me over. https://elementfire.com
The only issue I see with this is you have to get damn close to the fire with it. No where near the range of a traditional extinguisher.

OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue I see with this is you have to get damn close to the fire with it. No where near the range of a traditional extinguisher.
I have the same concern as you. Like Halon, it is affected by wind so that's an issue. In fact, due to the low pressure output, I would imagine wind would affect this type more. That said, the principle of how it works is to cover the fire in a cloud to rob it of oxygen vs blasting it with a chemical. With that in mind, if the fire is big enough that I can't get close enough to be effective, I'm not sure anything short of a fire truck would work either.

I plan to test one in the near future. The plan is to build a good, hot fire in one of my outdoor pits. The kind that you can't get any closer than 6 feet for any longer than 10 seconds and see what it will do before I settle on the idea. Of course that might take a few weeks or more as there is a burn ban in effect due to the whole damn state being on fire.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same concern as you. Like Halon, it is affected by wind so that's an issue. In fact, due to the low pressure output, I would imagine wind would affect this type more. That said, the principle of how it works is to cover the fire in a cloud to rob it of oxygen vs blasting it with a chemical. With that in mind, if the fire is big enough that I can't get close enough to be effective, I'm not sure anything short of a fire truck would work either.

I plan to test one in the near future. The plan is to build a good, hot fire in one of my outdoor pits. The kind that you can't get any closer than 6 feet for any longer than 10 seconds and see what it will do before I settle on the idea. Of course that might take a few weeks or more as there is a burn ban in effect due to the whole damn state being on fire.
Post a video of that if you can. I'd love to see the results!

OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post a video of that if you can. I'd love to see the results!
Will do. I'm working with a dealer now on shipping and possible bulk discounts. His stock is low right now, but he has a shipment inbound. I will pass along that info as well when it's sorted out.
Sponsored