Sponsored

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson

I thought I had posted something earlier in the week, but I must have not hit post after writing it. I will write up my thoughts in a few days, but these are a few first impressions.
Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
The issues you showed with the door handle locks, I haven't experienced that at all. Regarding Android Auto sometimes not connecting, I have the same issue with Car Play, and it's frustrating. Turning the entire truck off and restarting it has been the only fix I've discovered, and that's a bit of a pain in the ass.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
The issues you showed with the door handle locks, I haven't experienced that at all. Regarding Android Auto sometimes not connecting, I have the same issue with Car Play, and it's frustrating. Turning the entire truck off and restarting it has been the only fix I've discovered, and that's a bit of a pain in the ass.
Can you not reset the infotainment system while driving?

I’m asking because I had to do that today while driving my Polestar to get CarPlay to connect.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
In my wife's BMW, I tried my digital key (Android) once. Never again. Worked ok for my wife's iPhone though. The Car Play and Android Auto issues seem common to most new cars.

OP
OP
beninbeta

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I might try and remove the digital key, then uninstall/reinstall the app and start from scratch. What's interesting is the digital key switch is greyed out in the setting on the infotainment so I can't enable it, but it still works some of the time. :unsure:

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Mine will usually clear when I go to settings, and turn apple car play off on the device (personal cell) that isn’t properly connected then connect my business cell via the toggle. Once the business cell is connected I can toggle between the two.

The non connectivity for me only happens when I remote start when my phones are not in range.

Non sure if it works but my last Ford had this problem if you plug in with the device car play would come up.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Congrats! We have the same truck! I already had the Toyota app and adding in the new Taco was seamless and I never allow notifications so I never see those. I also have not downloaded the digital key and have not any issues with the keyless entry system. I did read that the app has to be brought up or running in the background for the digial key to work. (enable background app refresh) I also have had no issues with Apple arplay. I use a 15 pro max and usually wait a few weeks on each update for example i.e. I have not installed the latest update.

The only thing that has been disappointing for me is the dash cam app. It is pretty bad. The videos the dash cam takes are great, but accessing the app is pretty painful. You can always just remove the micro SD card and view on your computer if needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beninbeta

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Yup pretty much the same except the Dashcam! I have never really used them before and only take video for the videos on my channel so I have a Hero 11, DJI Action 4 and my Pixel 8 Pro for that.

The app is allowed to run in the background, but boy does it eat battery. I know they just updated the app recently so some of this is likely bugs from a major release. I'll probably turn off all notifications too.

Are you using the wallet key or a regular key? I ask because the truck doesn't seem to automatically lock when I walk away after 30 seconds which is what it's set at. Ahh software. The last few drives Android Auto worked perfectly I had removed that and readded so that seems to have fixed that issue. I'll try that with the key, but I've been running around like crazy trying to shoot and edit content after or before work the last few days too. It's been busy. Thanks for the tips!

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Yup pretty much the same except the Dashcam! I have never really used them before and only take video for the videos on my channel so I have a Hero 11, DJI Action 4 and my Pixel 8 Pro for that.

The app is allowed to run in the background, but boy does it eat battery. I know they just updated the app recently so some of this is likely bugs from a major release. I'll probably turn off all notifications too.

Are you using the wallet key or a regular key? I ask because the truck doesn't seem to automatically lock when I walk away after 30 seconds which is what it's set at. Ahh software. The last few drives Android Auto worked perfectly I had removed that and readded so that seems to have fixed that issue. I'll try that with the key, but I've been running around like crazy trying to shoot and edit content after or before work the last few days too. It's been busy. Thanks for the tips!
Great video! I figured the app running would eat battery if running in the background! I also leave my phone in the truck when I ride the trails so didn't want to figure out the digital key & turning off bluetooth etc when I ride. I use the fob now. I used the card key for a bit but wanted the tailgate button on the fob. The fob is pretty thick though lol! Just finishing my 2nd tank of gas. Did the first 350 miles on ECO and this one was on Normal and the gas mileage is better on this tank. The ECO tank was 19.6 MPG and this one will be around 20.2 or 20.3- both tanks in city driving. About to do this third tank in Sport mode!

OP
OP
beninbeta

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Great video! I figured the app running would eat battery if running in the background! I also leave my phone in the truck when I ride the trails so didn't want to figure out the digital key & turning off bluetooth etc when I ride. I use the fob now. I used the card key for a bit but wanted the tailgate button on the fob. The fob is pretty thick though lol! Just finishing my 2nd tank of gas. Did the first 350 miles on ECO and this one was on Normal and the gas mileage is better on this tank. The ECO tank was 19.6 MPG and this one will be around 20.2 or 20.3- both tanks in city driving. About to do this third tank in Sport mode!

Nice. I'm still trying to get passed 12 mpg, but I only have May 80 miles and I've been doing a lot of filming so that's. It helping my mpgs for sure. 😂

Jaxx642

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Had the exact same Car Play issue with my Gen3. It's a pain, but 1st world problems, right? lol

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
After 500 miles, my CarPlay has been flawless. No issues connecting at all. My only complaint is that when it reads a text or you try to send a text, it doesn't mute any music you may have going on. That may be a setting, so I'm going to have to dive in a bit more.

bloominguez

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 VFR, '95 Integra, '04 SV, '22 Bronco, '22 5BW
Does not simply pressing and holding the radio/infotainment power button not work to power it off and reset it (without turning the truck off)? Like on other Toyotas?

OP
OP
beninbeta

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Not sure I can try that, it'd be better then shutting off the vehicle, but I'd rather just have it connect the first time.
Sponsored