Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
5911A83E-0325-4B37-998C-4543D343D6FA.jpeg
I thought it might be helpful if I sent the oil out for analysis ....
In other discussion on when to do your first oil change the thought ranged from 1000 miles to when ever the Jeep told you to which could be anywhere from 7500 to 10,000 miles depending on your driving habits.

As I’ve said before based on a recommendation from a friend who has been in the R&D side of oil and fluid research I try to make my first change about 2000 miles. My younger son recently got married and that pushed this schedule back a few hundred miles but here is the result at 2230 miles...

As you can see there are several different metals that are quite high but according to the lab is nothing to worry about as the various components are just wearing in...

I’m going to let the new oil (Penzoil 0W-20) run for at least 5000 to 7500 miles before I do the next oil change and hopefully do another analysis. I also installed a Fumoto valve to make the change even easier next time...
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Here is my first analysis and I ran mine closer to 5K miles before changing the factory fill.

My copper is lower than yours with a slightly higher iron values. My experience with other Pentastar's I have owned is that copper will take few oil changes to start going down to universal averages. FCA oil coolers are known for a lot of copper trash left over from manufacture.

Oilanalysis.jpg

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
5911A83E-0325-4B37-998C-4543D343D6FA.jpeg
I thought it might be helpful if I sent the oil out for analysis ....
In other discussion on when to do your first oil change the thought ranged from 1000 miles to when ever the Jeep told you to which could be anywhere from 7500 to 10,000 miles depending on your driving habits.

As I’ve said before based on a recommendation from a friend who has been in the R&D side of oil and fluid research I try to make my first change about 2000 miles. My younger son recently got married and that pushed this schedule back a few hundred miles but here is the result at 2230 miles...

As you can see there are several different metals that are quite high but according to the lab is nothing to worry about as the various components are just wearing in...

I’m going to let the new oil (Penzoil 0W-20) run for at least 5000 to 7500 miles before I do the next oil change and hopefully do another analysis. I also installed a Fumoto valve to make the change even easier next time...

I'm going to research this if I remember to do so.... but what is a Fumoto valve?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm going to research this if I remember to do so.... but what is a Fumoto valve?
It replaces the drain plug so that you no longer need hand tools to drain the oil.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
It replaces the drain plug so that you no longer need hand tools to drain the oil.
Exactly!
It also makes it easier to take oil samples. I have one on most of our vehicles.

Edit to ad a picture of it installed for those interested.
7C9E5C14-1D4F-4C34-AB19-089295201652.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
thats a good share. Thanks.

Old Tex

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Howdy,
I had a Fumoto valve on my Toyota truck for 6 years and loved it. Do you remember what part number that one is? Sure would like to get one for my Gladiator. Thanks

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Great reports! I suspect the factory fill is Pennzoil Gold 0w20. It is advertised as a semi-syn but I think it is a full syn and it performs as well as Pennzoil Platinum, or even a little better. The flash point tends to be a little higher and holds up better over time than some reports I've seen with Platinum. Unfortunately, Pennzoil Gold isn't easy to find because Platinum can be had on the cheap.

These Pentastars are great engines and are pretty easy on oil. I'm currently at 25k on my JL and am 3,000 miles into a run on Mobil 1 AP 0w20 with a Mobil 1 filter. It'll be spring or even early summer before I hit my next change.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy,
I had a Fumoto valve on my Toyota truck for 6 years and loved it. Do you remember what part number that one is? Sure would like to get one for my Gladiator. Thanks
It uses the F106 valve. There are several variations of it. They also sell them on Amazon.
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Sponsored

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Old Tex

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Howdy,
many thanks for the reply. I just ordered one from E Bay. Thanks again!!!!!!

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

jeep671

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon COD MW3
Hi Guys,

I know I am late to this discussion. While researching into different solutions, I stumbled on to Valvomax. The company is owned by a Veteran and is headquarted in Houston, TX. I like their solution the best and it is complete set with drain hose. Here's a Youtube video that talks about it,

I am ordering one for all my vehicles, since my sons and I change the oil on our own vehicles. Oil changes on Guam from a dealer, which is more expensive, or a mechanic shop can run as high as $80. I can change my oil for less than $35.00 depending on the oil and filter prices here. The great part, since I am spending more than $50 on my order, it is free shipping, via USPS. I just thought I share another solution.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Just an FYI. You can see elevated levels of copper and iron in your oil for 10's of thousands of miles as bearings continue to break in. The only major break in that occurs during the first 5k miles is ring seating.

The 5.7 in my Ram and 3.6 in my JKR showed elevated levels until about 30k miles. Then everything settled and started showing normal levels of metals.
Sponsored