First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Did my first oil change no problem. But, I have one question.

There was no washer on the oil drain plug. Just wanted to make sure this is normal from what others have seen.

Thanks
Sponsored

NHM95

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Did my first oil change no problem. But, I have one question.

There was no washer on the oil drain plug. Just wanted to make sure this is normal from what others have seen.

Thanks
If I can recall correctly, the washer was attached to the bolt itself. Below is a picture of the part itself:

Jeep Gladiator First oil change question 1615301994585

OP
OP
Spur

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks folks

Just wanted to make sure I didn’t fork up

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Change oil on a 3.6L with topside oil filter without touching the oil drain plug, not one drop of oil on the garage floor. I'll let the next owner worry about any residue if any left in the oil pan.

Jeep Gladiator First oil change question Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 9.57.50 AM

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I knew the hate would be strong with this suggestion, but it also works so well on my riding lawn mower that really makes a mess when trying to drain the old fashioned way. Also handy for removing other types of fluids. First time I used it on my old JK after pumping the the oil out, I crawled under and removed the drain plug and got minimal amount of oil to drain out of the pan, so now I don't even worry about the very small amount of oil left in the pan.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I knew the hate would be strong with this suggestion, but it also works so well on my riding lawn mower that really makes a mess when trying to drain the old fashioned way. Also handy for removing other types of fluids. First time I used it on my old JK after pumping the the oil out, I crawled under and removed the drain plug and got minimal amount of oil to drain out of the pan, so now I don't even worry about the very small amount of oil left in the pan.
Theres a reason no one else, including OEM, does it that way. Draining from the bottom encourages flow and draining of sediment in the oil that settles at the bottom of the pan. You’re actively preventing one of the reasons to conduct an oil change in the first place. Granted, chances are you’ll still be fine if you change the oil filter as well, but the way you’re doing it takes longer and is less effective at removing “bad” oil.

It’s like sitting on the toilet the wrong way. Sure, you can do it but it’s a poor choice for varying reasons.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Many European OEM's approve of top side oil extraction method and in some cases, it is the only method for certain models.

Logic dictates that draining is a preferred method but it comes down to what the end users prefers and how heavily convenience weighs on that decision.

Unless you are a run it into ground until the wheels fall off cradle to grave owner, hyper maintenance only helps the subsequent owner if at all.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
OP
OP
Spur

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all. I will be putting on a valvomax next oil change.

Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
Consider an oil drain valve install... Makes things faster and easier... and no chance of cross threading, stripping pan, under tightening, over tightening, losing plug, forgetting whether it had a washer or not.. 8-)
Do you use a specific one or recommend one for the gladiator?

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I put a Femco low profile drain valve on mine at the first oil change. Less chance of it getting damaged off road.

20210305_095714 (Medium).jpg

20210305_101258 (Medium).jpg

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Has anyone tested to see if there is a magnet in that oil pan bolt? Quickest way to find metal shavings in the oil pan I know of.

Hadoken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe. I’ve been changing oil for 20 years and can’t find what’s so hard about removing a drain plug that makes it worth buying aftermarket parts and then having to buy protective guards for those aftermarket parts.
Having made this statement, I’ll probably shear a drain plug on my next oil change.
I prefer fluids that I don’t want to come out too easily to not come out so easily...

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Has anyone tested to see if there is a magnet in that oil pan bolt? Quickest way to find metal shavings in the oil pan I know of.
@Spur

No, no removable washer on the oil drain plug... There is a very thick disc that is formed lets say, as part of the oil drain plug.

Also, no magnet on the plug.
You're welcome.
Sponsored