First oil change

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
My Sport S 6sp is at 3000 miles, but the oil life says 67%. I’m worried that it’s going to an interval longer than I should go for a first change.

Is there a solid answer on mileage for the first service?
Sponsored

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I want to say it’s 10,000 miles.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
My Sport S 6sp is at 3000 miles, but the oil life says 67%. I’m worried that it’s going to an interval longer than I should go for a first change.

Is there a solid answer on mileage for the first service?
‘There is no solid answer.
According to the manual you just drive it until the Jeep tells you to change it. Depending on your driving style that could be between 7500 and 10,000 miles.

On the other hand, there is a camp that thinks the oil should be changed sooner, particularly the first one. There is already an existing thread here about that and you can look it up and decide for yourself.

I completed my first oil change at 2300 miles and sent the oil in for analysis. I will start a separate thread and share the results.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Mileage between oil changes has a lot to do with what kind of driving you do. As a general rule, a lot of interstate driving you can go longer, more town driving, less. Me personally, I change oil & rotate tires at 5000 intervals. Its mostly because its easier to remember. We drive 45 miles one way to work and takes about an hour. Part is on the highway, part on the interstate. So the engine gets plenty hot enough to burn out contaminants. Just be sure to check your oil level regularly to be sure it isn't low. Sometimes my oil life will be around 50% when I reach 5000, and sometimes less. But I figure oil is cheap, all other things considered. Years ago, we were told to change at 3000 mile intervals, but oil has better ingredients these days so it will last longer. That's why I don't mind going 5000. Now if you go only by the oil life monitor, it may well reach 10000 miles, but I personally wouldn't go that long. Even tho the oil may be fine, like I say, oil is cheap when you consider other things.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
‘There is no solid answer.
According to the manual you just drive it until the Jeep tells you to change it. Depending on your driving style that could be between 7500 and 10,000 miles.

On the other hand, there is a camp that thinks the oil should be changed sooner, particularly the first one. There is already an existing thread here about that and you can look it up and decide for yourself.

I completed my first oil change at 2300 miles and sent the oil in for analysis. I will start a separate thread and share the results.
With the Jeep wave program you get 4 oil changes in 2 years (except californians). So that is one change every 5000 miles. My Jeep dealer said they use full synthetic, so it cant hurt to go at least every 5000 miles, doesnt cost you anything

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
With the Jeep wave program you get 4 oil changes in 2 years (except californians). So that is one change every 5000 miles. My Jeep dealer said they use full synthetic, so it cant hurt to go at least every 5000 miles, doesnt cost you anything
Agreed!
I just wanted to “bond” with my new vehicle...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL unless I drive this one a whole lot more than I did my other truck, I'd be doing two oil changes every 3 years. I went an average of about 6500 miles or so a year with my Chevy. I joked with the sales guy about it and he says "use 'em anyway" - it's wise to change with the seasons in that case, IMO - after winter, come spring, get the oil changed.
If FCA is using Mobil1 filters (and I Assume their oil), they will guarantee you can go 10,000 miles. They use a totally different filter material, it's a synthetic, not paper, and filters a lot smaller particles than most paper filters.

Anyway, this mechanic has to agree with most of the posts here - I go by experience, gut, type of driving, seasons/weather, etc. more than I go by oil life indicators. I guess I'm old school that way.

brewerydad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Laramie
My last Jeep owners manual stated that oil change intervals should not exceed 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I just replaced the oil filter on the first 2500 miles not the oil then my oil at 5500 miles i do it myself. So for now on every 5k or 6k filter & oil

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My last Jeep owners manual stated that oil change intervals should not exceed 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first.
Acids and other nasties build up over time. A year is a long time to go. I drove a couple of my cars maybe a thousand miles a year - one of them less - and still changed the oil every fall so they'd not sit over winter with that nasty stuff in them. It's better these days but still - never go over a year, in fact, if you drive about the same miles each month, year around, I'd do a spring and a fall change - unless you hit the miles first. Again, some of it is how you drive, frequency, distances, type of driving, and more. There's no one set rule other than the minimums - AT LEAST once a year and no more than 10k miles. I still feel uneasy about the miles - even though Mobil1 says with their filters it's ok.

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Owners manual says no more than 10K. My service manager said 10K. All of us received 4 free oil changes and tire rotations for first 2 years. I intend on taking mine in every six months for the 2 year period regardless of mileage. After that I will be going to changes at least every 10K or less. Less if I am doing more towing.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey @JeepCares I am wondering if Jeep put a long lasting synthetic oil in my Gladiator. Did you? Am almost at 3000 miles and am wondering if a lower grade of oil was used that would get me to only 3000 miles or if I should be good to go up to say 5,000 or to 8,000 or to 10,000 miles or if I should just wait until I get a warning light on my truck? Planning to make a 7 hour trip early next month and then another 7 hours for the return. And I would hate to have that light pop up in the middle of my trip.

I tried to sign up for the Jeep Wave program that my dealership told me about but the system is frozen and will not send me a password reset. So I can’t even find out if there is a cost associated with that program
and if there is then exactly what is the cost and what are the benefits. They told me they think there’s a couple of free oil changes but I bet I get that only if I have committed to a long term Jeep Wave contract that I don’t know how much it costs.

So I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on that and tell me what it costs and what I get for that costs. And do I some other way get a free first oil change? And at what mileage should I do that? Thanks to advise.

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Jeep Wave is 3 oil changes, I believe. We just did our first oil change yesterday at 4500 miles.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
If I owned mine I'd do one at 1k miles like I usually do. I leased this one because of the deal I got and this is a very different vehicle from what I normally go for, so I'm just going to wait until it tells me to, at that point I may still end up doing the oil change myself just because I'd rather pay 50 bucks for the supplies and do it myself than spend an afternoon at the dealership for a 16 year old to do it.

I changed oil at a Honda dealer in college, that altered my perception drastically. I had never worked on a car before and was changing oil within an hour of starting. I have very little trust for dealership maintenance areas after the things I saw occur.
Sponsored