First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Hello all, as stated above this is my first post and yes I’ve pretty much been a Toyota guy my whole life. So to start off let me say that the the reason I’m here is the Gladiator.

I’ve always said about the only thing that could pull me away from Toyota would be if Jeep ever made another truck. And it would have to be a real truck. Not just a small bed slapped onto a wrangler chassis. Well, apparently they’ve done it and now I’m thinking about trading in my ten year year old Tundra with 54k flawless miles in for an as of yet unproven Gladiator.

I just retired last month. It’ll be my retirement present to myself. I have a bit of money to spend. This will likely be the last truck I buy. I will not be financing it. I’ll be writing a check for the full amount over my trade in - IF - and this is a big IF - they price it reasonably. If they do start out gouging us with base models at around 40k as was posted on another thread here, I’ll just go back to Toyota and pick up a TRD Tundra or Tacoma.

At any rate, I’ll be waiting anxiously to see how this turns out. Looking forward to learning from you dedicated Jeep guys. Maybe I’ll turn into one myself...
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I hope you are able to get one, as Jeeps are SO much fun. I have to warn you though, they are VERY addictive. JEEP- Just Empty Every Pocket.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Hello all, as stated above this is my first post and yes I’ve pretty much been a Toyota guy my whole life. So to start off let me say that the the reason I’m here is the Gladiator.

I’ve always said about the only thing that could pull me away from Toyota would be if Jeep ever made another truck. And it would have to be a real truck. Not just a small bed slapped onto a wrangler chassis. Well, apparently they’ve done it and now I’m thinking about trading in my ten year year old Tundra with 54k flawless miles in for an as of yet unproven Gladiator.

I just retired last month. It’ll be my retirement present to myself. I have a bit of money to spend. This will likely be the last truck I buy. I will not be financing it. I’ll be writing a check for the full amount over my trade in - IF - and this is a big IF - they price it reasonably. If they do start out gouging us with base models at around 40k as was posted on another thread here, I’ll just go back to Toyota and pick up a TRD Tundra or Tacoma.

At any rate, I’ll be waiting anxiously to see how this turns out. Looking forward to learning from you dedicated Jeep guys. Maybe I’ll turn into one myself...
Welcome aboard. I'm resolute in holding out for the diesel, or at least the etorque version of the 3.6 pentastar.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
40K for a base model would be a ridiculous amount.

BUT, given the choice between $40k for a Jeep that's all new or $40k for a Toyota product that hasn't been all new in the last 15 years.... I'd go Jeep all day 'er day.

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it

BUT, given the choice between $40k for a Jeep that's all new or $40k for a Toyota product that hasn't been all new in the last 15 years.... I'd go Jeep all day 'er day.
Toyota’s have been in my family since I was a kid along with just about every other make of American auto. No other vehicle has ever even come close to the reliability of Toyota. Over the last thirty years or so, Ive had a lot of experience off-road with American makes through my job. Trust me when I say this is the only vehicle that could even make me contemplate another make of truck. Half of me says I’m crazy for doing it, but the stronger half is really liking what I’ve seen on paper regarding the Gladiator.

The only question still left unresolved is the price. If reasonably priced, I will for sure be driving one off the lot and leaving my Tundra behind. Not something I would’ve fathomed before this...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Forgot to mention, I’m looking at the Rubicon. So hopefully they’ll still target it to fit the average Joe's budget...

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Forgot to mention, I’m looking at the Rubicon. So hopefully they’ll still target it to fit the average Joe's budget...
The Rubicon won't be cheap, probably close to 45 for a base one. That being said for what you get in terms of quantifiable performance components its a deal. Especially in comparison to a TRD Pro Tacoma. Lockers, package protected for 35's, 4 to 1 T case, optional 4:10 with the auto.

I can't say I have had the same experience with Toyota's offroad, but from and content to dollar perspective you don't get alot with the Tacoma, even the 2020 MCA is weak. Its powertrain leaves alot to be desired, half the power of domestic fullsize trucks, with less fuel economy.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Fyi I bought my FJ Cruiser in 2006 when they first came out. Mine was a 2007 year model. And here I am 150,000 miles later and have had zero problems with my FJ. Had to replace brakes and tires and regular oil changes and the thing is great to drive. Have zero problems going up steep mountains. It tows 5000 pounds and my sailboat with trailer is 4800 pounds. Can’t even feel it when I tow it. Some years ago Toyota had some very bad press about electronical problems and such and I have had zero problems. I am like you, ready to trade for a Gladiator but only if Jeep does not try to charge a bloody fortune for it. Price it reasonable and it will sell. Price it outrageously high and many people like me will take their hard earned money elsewhere.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Welcome Dryfly, you are definitely in the catbird seat - just sit back & enjoy the show until they hit the showrooms :beer:

Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp

I personally go the opposite on this. My choices on my next vehicle are a Jeep Truck or Tundra Platinum. The Tundra has not been redesigned and the power train is proven and is obviously more capable being a full size pickup and the platinum can be had around 50k. Now here comes the new Jeep pickup wicked cool looking and comes in stick but getting one in stick makes it worst in class towing. I truly enjoy driving stick which is why i am considering the gladiator in the first place. But the jeep is unproven and has a ridiculous start stop system on it which really turns me off from it. Its going to come down to price on which i choose, if the gladiator is significantly cheaper like 35k then i will take it over the tubdra but if its 45k then tundra here i come.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004

Welcome aboard . . . Our 3rd-paragraph sentiments are quite similar - well, except for the Toyota parts, ha . I had a Dodge (RAM now) 1500 for 13 years . . . in 2016 got the Grand Cherokee V6 4X4, and the lure of the JL and subsequent disappointments have me (too) eyeing the JT . It is ALMOST a "wrangler with a bed," but not really ! The Chassis and B-pillar aft are NEW, as is the Bed ! Check out some of the King of the Hammers Videos where the Gladiator is highlighted, go check out Quadratec's new video highlighting the JT . These are the things that have US up all night or in blissful dream-mode ! Lots to learn here, but also at the JL sister sight - cause thee 2 ARE kissing- Cousins !
ps; like the name . . . 'dryfly' . . . as in fly fisher ? Now I am seeing a growing number os "us" acknowledging our other passion (jeep being another).

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
My GUESS, and it's just a presumptive guess - IF you don't go hog wild on a JT Rubi with Options - prepare to spend in the range of ~ $45K to $50K . Now, if you can wait about 6 months, when the dust settles, and we have some 3rd party off road reviews and insight into "problems" then the pricing hopefully will settle down some ! It's what usually happens .

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Welcome!

Drive it. You'll see what the fuss is all about. And you'll drive Jeep.

Reliability? You won't even care.

Cost? Well...read about the first thousand posts on here when it was called scrambler forum. They had it nailed two years ago. Then read the second thousand when (i joined then) it was called gladiator forum. We had more info to go off, but nothing final, so rampant speculation rules. Then write the next hundred about price for all of us to enjoy!!

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician

Welcome to the forum!
Couldn't help but notice your username. Do you do much fly fishing? I am a fly fisherman myself.
Sponsored