Sponsored

First post! with a serious question regarding a 5.9 cummins...

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
Little intro/back story:

I've been a peruser here since almost the beginning of gladiator forum and have enjoyed many of the helpful and crazy discussions over the past couple years. Yes, I've been drooling over them since they were released but I'm biding my time to buy because of some personal/life reasons at the moment. I purchased a 2015 2 Door JK Willys back in 2016 (soft top, manual tranny, windows, locks.) so I'm no stranger to the Jeep lifestyle and love the raw/basic/mechanical nature of it.

BLUF: I have recently come to own a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 cummins HO & 6 speed NV5600. The truck is in great shape considering it's 20 years old, and only has ~116k on it. It has a great deal of sentimental value to me because it was my father's and he bought it brand new. I am currently AD Army and will be AD for the next 5-6 years and plan to use it as a tow rig for DITY moves to haul stuff and tow my JK to wherever I PCS. That being said, my lifestyle doesn't necessitate a 3/4 ton pickup.

Enter: Jeep Gladiator. I have the means to buy one now, but I do not NEED one at the moment. I'll be waiting until this shortage madness (hopefully) ends within the next year or so before I purchase. I like to keep my vehicles for the long long term. I plan to V8 swap my JK in the future and make it a weekend warrior, and I would very much like to have a 5.9 cummins powered gladiator in the future as well.

Disclaimer: I know this will likely be a large undertaking, but I am looking for advice on how realistic and feasible it is to do. Note that this will likely be 6-8 years down the road ideally, once I'm out of the Army and have civilian pay/freedom.

What are your guys/gals thoughts on

A: The ability to transplant the cummins/nv5600 into the existing gladiator frame? I've been told that the gladiator frame is much stronger than the average Jeep frame. That being said, IF this route is possible, I'm sure strengthening it to support the weight of the cummins would be necessary.

B. Swapping the gladiator body onto the 2500 frame. This seems like it would be the easiest to me, it would require the 2500 frame to be chopped slightly, but would give plenty of strength to support the cummins & drive train. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, this would be the route to go if I wanted to be street legal correct? Because the Gladiator "frame" would have to abide by all of the diesel emissions requirements in place today.

If one of the above sounds plausible, I would plan on doing a full custom dash (somehow integrating it into the gladiator's dash would be nice, but not 100% necessary.) And I'm quite sure getting the electronics to play nice between the cummins/VP44 and the gladiator system would be hell, so P-Pumping the cummins and making it entirely mechanical with separate wiring for the lights/etc is a thought.

At the end of the day, I don't want to let the cummins go because of the sentimental value and the fact that it could literally last me the rest of my life while giving me grins and memories every time I drive it. That being said, not every idea is a good idea- so with the used car market the way it is and the potential value of the 2500, part of me is considering selling the diesel off and putting the money towards a gladiator with a tow package.

Thoughts/comments/concerns are appreciated. Just please be mindful that I realize this would be a massive project and that I'm looking for feedback on how realistic (or unrealistic) this idea is.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
Welcome! Preface, I am no mechanic...

Sensible answer:
Anything is possible with money, time, and resources. All of that seems like a lot of work and money for, if I'm honest, dubious gain. You'd be left with a totally custom vehicle which is cool in its own right, but I don't know we're talking investment grade here. Also, what truly would it buy you in practically? You don't need a 3/4 so why try to squeeze that capability into a smaller package? The truck means something to you. You enjoy driving it now. Keep it as is. Get your Gladdy when you're ready.

Selfish answer:
Just do it already. Option A. I wanna see this thing!

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
Caterpillar Parts Manager
fortunately that cummins is really heavy. if you drop it from high enough, it'll fit "in" anything.

but on a serious note, anything can be done. it would be awesome to see this swp done. cummins are a very long and tall engine. i've seen them in tj's and our engine bay is bigger so it should fit. it'll be a metric ass-ton of work though.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be a buzzkill but I have done several engine swaps including diesels over the years. That cummins has got a lot of torque so the stock jeep driveline would be a potential issue but I think the big killer and the hardest to overcome is cooling capacity.
The radiator size that can be fit and availability of airflow will be a challenge.

Stock the cooling system seems pretty well taxed out to me.

The dude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Little intro/back story:

I've been a peruser here since almost the beginning of gladiator forum and have enjoyed many of the helpful and crazy discussions over the past couple years. Yes, I've been drooling over them since they were released but I'm biding my time to buy because of some personal/life reasons at the moment. I purchased a 2015 2 Door JK Willys back in 2016 (soft top, manual tranny, windows, locks.) so I'm no stranger to the Jeep lifestyle and love the raw/basic/mechanical nature of it.

BLUF: I have recently come to own a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 cummins HO & 6 speed NV5600. The truck is in great shape considering it's 20 years old, and only has ~116k on it. It has a great deal of sentimental value to me because it was my father's and he bought it brand new. I am currently AD Army and will be AD for the next 5-6 years and plan to use it as a tow rig for DITY moves to haul stuff and tow my JK to wherever I PCS. That being said, my lifestyle doesn't necessitate a 3/4 ton pickup.

Enter: Jeep Gladiator. I have the means to buy one now, but I do not NEED one at the moment. I'll be waiting until this shortage madness (hopefully) ends within the next year or so before I purchase. I like to keep my vehicles for the long long term. I plan to V8 swap my JK in the future and make it a weekend warrior, and I would very much like to have a 5.9 cummins powered gladiator in the future as well.

Disclaimer: I know this will likely be a large undertaking, but I am looking for advice on how realistic and feasible it is to do. Note that this will likely be 6-8 years down the road ideally, once I'm out of the Army and have civilian pay/freedom.

What are your guys/gals thoughts on

A: The ability to transplant the cummins/nv5600 into the existing gladiator frame? I've been told that the gladiator frame is much stronger than the average Jeep frame. That being said, IF this route is possible, I'm sure strengthening it to support the weight of the cummins would be necessary.

B. Swapping the gladiator body onto the 2500 frame. This seems like it would be the easiest to me, it would require the 2500 frame to be chopped slightly, but would give plenty of strength to support the cummins & drive train. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, this would be the route to go if I wanted to be street legal correct? Because the Gladiator "frame" would have to abide by all of the diesel emissions requirements in place today.

If one of the above sounds plausible, I would plan on doing a full custom dash (somehow integrating it into the gladiator's dash would be nice, but not 100% necessary.) And I'm quite sure getting the electronics to play nice between the cummins/VP44 and the gladiator system would be hell, so P-Pumping the cummins and making it entirely mechanical with separate wiring for the lights/etc is a thought.

At the end of the day, I don't want to let the cummins go because of the sentimental value and the fact that it could literally last me the rest of my life while giving me grins and memories every time I drive it. That being said, not every idea is a good idea- so with the used car market the way it is and the potential value of the 2500, part of me is considering selling the diesel off and putting the money towards a gladiator with a tow package.

Thoughts/comments/concerns are appreciated. Just please be mindful that I realize this would be a massive project and that I'm looking for feedback on how realistic (or unrealistic) this idea is.

Thanks!
I’ve done a few Cummins swaps and love the idea. If I’m doing this, body swap would be the route to go with that truck. That year is computer controlled and would be a lot more work getting everything to coexist but there are people out there that can do that kind of programming. You wouldn’t need to upgrade the complete driveline(axles) or reinforce the jeep frame. But both ways can be done and money solves problems. Good luck

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I lost my dad a couple years ago, miss him.
Your dad's truck was his truck, if you are that attached to it , just keep it in the garage for work or special days. Swapping into a Gladiator, will be a lot of work and money, with what you are thinking about sounds like the only thing of the Gladiator to use would be the body tub and fenders. Don't buy a new forty thousaand dollar truck to tear it apart and put a 20 year old engine in it with over 100,000 miles. Your dad would probably tell you to sell the truck and get the Jeep you want, and start your own love affair with your special truck like he did......Jack

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Agree all above. Sorry for your loss and thank you for your service. My adds are your outcomes vary from complete gladiator to gladiator look alike. All can be great projects but require different start end points. A looks like is a purchased wreck you plop on a good frame. Insurance, registration, title, safety issues. My 2c sounds like you want a JT have it your way. I am thinking same. Find an old one and make it cool. Problem is these are years away from being cheap enough, so in that case bank your spending money until you find one. If you want a stock one, order it and do the less than invoice way to get best deal at the time. Have fun and post it up as you go!

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
no. The 24-valve Cummins and NV5600 weigh over 1400 pounds, The engine is way too long for the engine bay. Dodge went to a lot of trouble modifying and re-modifying their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups when they first put a Cummins into them. Those old pickups were far closer to what would be needed than what a Gladiator has now, with its 219 cid gas engine, or 180 cid diesel. The little 3.0 is already 400 pounds heavier than the aluminum gasser engine.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
No.

That engine is ridiculously heavy.

The Gladiator isn't meant for such a large and heavy powerplant.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Setting a Gladiator body on the 2500 frame is the only reasonable way this could happen.

I wouldn’t use a full Gladiator donor, but instead try to find a body which wouldn’t be easy. But nothing about this project would be.

If you could pull it off, it’d be super cool to see a diesel Gladiator making huge power with a Cummins.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Okay, let's throw practical out the door and close and lock the door.

If you want to do a dedicated build for your Dad with that power plant, look for an SJ (Original Gladiator) and go from there. Will cost money, will take time, but if done right you'll be proud of it.

As for the JT, sorry but I think you'd be highly disappointed in it if you even completed it.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I hear some of your dilemma loud and clear, @Medical_Bartender. I have had a gas 01 for most of it's life and damn near half of mine. I've had numerous debates over the years about what to do with it long-term, especially now as I near getting a JT. I'm talking Ship of Theseus kind of debates where I try and figure out how best to keep the 'soul' of the truck going (Can I swap the body to another frame? Can I swap the engine? Which one is 'more' original? ...)
It is supposed that the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus was kept in a harbor as a museum piece, and as the years went by some of the wooden parts began to rot and were replaced by new ones; then, after a century or so, every part had been replaced. The question then is whether the "restored" ship is still the same object as the original.

If it is, then suppose the removed pieces were stored in a warehouse, and after the century, technology was developed that cured their rot and enabled them to be reassembled into a ship. Is this "reconstructed" ship the original ship? If it is, then what about the restored ship in the harbor still being the original ship as well?
The latest conclusion I've come to is that I need to just let the thing be the best version of itself, which is a fun shit-kicker of an 'old' truck. When the JT comes the Dodge is going in storage or maybe to live with my brother on the farm. If I truly don't miss it after a year or two with the Jeep, then maybe I'll sell it - but that would be a difficult day.

I really like @kevman65's suggestion - take the engine in it back in time rather than forward. A swapped SJ for fun on the weekends would be amazing!

OP
OP
Medical_Bartender

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
Thanks for the responses everyone, I had a feeling dropping the cummins in the gladiator frame would likely be a no go. The point of this endeavor would be to save what's best from my dad's truck and apply it to something that I would be able to have as a fun/long term toy. I think I'll blend the suggestions and keep the truck as is for now and use it. I'll get the gladiator and use it for what it is (soon hopefully) and once I'm in a good spot I'll pull the trigger swapping the gladiator body onto the cummins frame.

Full disclosure, this won't happen for quite a while, but if this forum stays around as long as some of the other jeep forums then there will be pictures of this build on here one day mark my words!!

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Sounds like a very expensive and complicated project. I think each truck in its current configuration is far better than the blended version. I would keep each as-is, or just get your Gladiator and sell me the Ram. I miss my 5.9.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That being said, not every idea is a good idea- so with the used car market the way it is and the potential value of the 2500, part of me is considering selling the diesel off and putting the money towards a gladiator with a tow package.
This is the only part of your post that makes any sense. Everything else is a nonsensical money pit.

Worst thing to do is get wrapped up in a sentimental fantasy project that has no redeeming value other than you wanted to do it.
Sponsored