2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Nothing in that review about the problematic history of the eco-diesel that is made in Italy. It's been the subject of a 800 million dollar lawsuit and had a huge recall because of a fire danger. Also it gets a very bad rating from the Automobile Protection Association for its history of main bearings going out.

I think it's best to wait for the 392 if you want more power. Then again, the 392 might be too much to handle for some with top heavy and high center of gravity machines. Rollovers anyone?

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Nothing in that review about the problematic history of the eco-diesel that is made in Italy. It's been the subject of a 800 million dollar lawsuit and had a huge recall because of a fire danger. Also it gets a very bad rating from the Automobile Protection Association for its history of main bearings going out.

I think it's best to wait for the 392 if you want more power. Then again, the 392 might be too much to handle for some with top heavy and high center of gravity machines. Rollovers anyone?

Agreed and it’s the reason I didn’t buy one, though I’ll give the 392 serious consideration.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Different engine, no? Gen 2 vs Gen 3?

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Different engine, no? Gen 2 vs Gen 3?
And you think this "new" one is going to be any different? They earned their reputation. They ought to be almost giving them away if they want to earn my confidence. You go first.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
And you think this "new" one is going to be any different? They earned their reputation. They ought to be almost giving them away if they want to earn my confidence. You go first.
I do, actually. That’s how products improve: design, test, produce, learn, redesign, test, produce, learn...repeat. Lots of really vehicle manufacturers today used to have horrible reliability and are now considered higher standards of quality.

I am considering the diesel and wouldn’t discount it due to the previous generation. My only hesitation is that my new commute will be too short to allow regens, which is a diesel thing, not specifically an Ecodiesel thing.

Last edited:

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram

I notice your in the diesel section a lot. Seems like you have an interest in either wanting one or shitting on them to make you feel better about owning the minivan motor. Which ultimately started out as junk and had several years of major issues.

Is it acceptable that fca had a bunch of problems with the first and second gen? Absolutely not, I don't think they should get a pass for that, just like they shouldn't for the multiple iterations of junk gassers in wranglers. With that said its also completely unacceptable for them to only offer a motor that makes 285HP at the CRANK and 260 ft lbs, all while getting absolutely dismal fuel mileage. The ZF 8spd is a great trans but its not magic. For a truck you can option to nearly 70K that's pathetic. The ecodiesel at least gives some of us hope.

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
"I notice your in the diesel section a lot. Seems like you have an interest in either wanting one or shitting on them to make you feel better about owning the minivan motor. Which ultimately started out as junk and had several years of major issues."

Thank you for saying this. I have a JTRD and am very happy with it. Great power, mileage and tows fantastic. I have a friend that has a 2020 Wrangler Eco Diesel and has over 15K miles on it without any problems so please stop crapping on the Diesel just because you don't own one. You don't see everyone talking crap about the gasser's so please be civil and stop talking crap!

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"I notice your in the diesel section a lot. Seems like you have an interest in either wanting one or shitting on them to make you feel better about owning the minivan motor. Which ultimately started out as junk and had several years of major issues."

Thank you for saying this. I have a JTRD and am very happy with it. Great power, mileage and tows fantastic. I have a friend that has a 2020 Wrangler Eco Diesel and has over 15K miles on it without any problems so please stop crapping on the Diesel just because you don't own one. You don't see everyone talking crap about the gasser's so please be civil and stop talking crap!
People should though. 285hp in a rig that’s over 5k is unacceptable. It’s fine if it’s the base motor for chicks to load up their Prada in but for a vehicle that can be optioned to almost 70 grand I think it’s a little bit nuts. Particularly coming from a branch of a company that puts out a million different vehicles with gobs of power.

I think the brand loyalty plays into things a bit too much here too as generally diesel guys are a slightly different breed than v6 gassers and there’s typically a large gap vs say diesel enthusiasts and v8 guys. I like my vehicles to have some character. The diesel clatter, vibration, low end grunt etc is an awesome experience but one not everyone will appreciate or get. Just like I don’t get the attachment to the pentastar. I have abuilt Buick v6 in my cj2a that weighs nothing and that’s still not great cause it makes horrible sounds and needs too many rpms to do work.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
People should though. 285hp in a rig that’s over 5k is unacceptable.
I think we will see significant changes once the Bronco hits the market. (aside from the Halo V8 pkg) The standard needs to be raised.

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Sorry your offended if anyone gives an opinion of the ecodiesel that is contrary to your view on it. Isn't it great you can get on this forum and learn the pros and cons? Perhaps there are some here that don't want to jump through hoops to get a 3k settlement from FCA cause they got a crappy engine.

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
Sorry your offended if anyone gives an opinion of the ecodiesel that is contrary to your view on it. Isn't it great you can get on this forum and learn the pros and cons? Perhaps there are some here that don't want to jump through hoops to get a 3k settlement from FCA cause they got a crappy engine.

I agree 100% with you on jumping through hoops and settlements but until it happens why bash it? There is not one brand of vehicle that does not or has not had problems, Crap Happens, but this does not make every one of them bad. There is no need to bash the new motor until it starts to have problems. Just my two cents and not trying to cause problems just wanting everyone to get along.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Bajadrifter have you ever owned a 3.0 or are you just trollin’?

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be more beneficial to the community as a whole to not have someone get all passive aggressive and push their views on others. We get it, you don't like the ecodiesel. I don't like the minivan motor and I assume many others who are buying the diesel feel similar, yet you don't see anyone going into the 3.6 gasser section and shitting on all 260 foot pounds of torque your mildly(maybe) more reliable motor gets.

Most of us are here cause we own, have ordered or at least are interested in owning the gladiator. No need to attempt to talk down to anyone cause your trying to justify your own decision.

****In case anyone is living under a rock, the ecodiesel had emissions related issues, some top end problems and underwent some revisions with the bottom end to quiet it down. It resulted in a lawsuit against fca and they paid out to owners and issued a revised tune. *****
--If this is a deal breaker for you, hit the back button and enter the subsection that says "Chrysler Town and County, Voyager, pacifica 3.6 liter" just above the diesel subsection. This section isn't for you, we talk about torque and other Alpha male things you don't care about.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It would be more beneficial to the community as a whole to not have someone get all passive aggressive and push their views on others. We get it, you don't like the ecodiesel. I don't like the minivan motor and I assume many others who are buying the diesel feel similar, yet you don't see anyone going into the 3.6 gasser section and shitting on all 260 foot pounds of torque your mildly(maybe) more reliable motor gets.

Most of us are here cause we own, have ordered or at least are interested in owning the gladiator. No need to attempt to talk down to anyone cause your trying to justify your own decision.

****In case anyone is living under a rock, the ecodiesel had emissions related issues, some top end problems and underwent some revisions with the bottom end to quiet it down. It resulted in a lawsuit against fca and they paid out to owners and issued a revised tune. *****
--If this is a deal breaker for you, hit the back button and enter the subsection that says "Chrysler Town and County, Voyager, pacifica 3.6 liter" just above the diesel subsection. This section isn't for you, we talk about torque and other Alpha male things you don't care about.
Sorry I hit a sore spot with you, but who said this thread is for ecodiesel lovers only? It's about a magazine review of the Gladiator ecodiesel. I happened to mention a few things the review didn't even touch on so others can consider and maybe reject certain viewpoints. Hint... That's what forums are for, discussions. Don't get your panties all twisted. I learned a few things from you guys, nothing that would change my mind on the ecodiesel, but that's me. If I had known this thread is for ecodiesel lovers only and no viewpoints pointing out problems of this engine is permitted, well I wouldn't have posted in the children's section. Outta here... Truly hope this year's model of the ecodiesel is everything you hope for.
Sponsored