Sponsored

First time Jeep buyer and need some help picking options

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Many of my friends have had Wranglers for decades but I was always a sports car guy. However, I always said if Jeep ever made a Wrangler pickup I would buy one, so here I am. My M3 is for sale and I'm stoked to get a truck.

I need some help picking options for my intended use. Well one option really. First of all, I live in Miami so hard core offroading like I did with my buddies when I liven in NJ and PA is not happening. With that said, I think the Rubicon would just be a waste of money since I'll never use it as intended. I'd like to run 35's with the smallest lift possible. I like the look but don't want to climb in and out of it. Plus it's going to be my only car for a little while (just got divorced and need to buy a new house too). Therefore, I need something ladies my age (40) won't have a hard time getting in and out of. My intuition tells me to get the Sport S with the Max Tow 4.10 gears to run 35's. I probably won't be towing much so I don't know if it matters, but I don't want it to be a total dog either. I do want the limited slip though, just for pulling out into traffic in the rain. I can't stand a car that spins one tire.... When I went on the website, it would not let me select the limited slip with the max tow package. Is that correct? Is the limited slip only available with the 3.73 gears?

So if I had to make a choice between limited slip or 4.10 gears (if I can't have both), which is the better move? Also, will just a leveling kit be enough to fit 35's? I guess this will also help totally rule out the overland as well.

Basically what I (think) want is:
Sport S
Sting-Grey
Automatic (I've been driving stick for 20 years and could use a break in Miami rush hour)
Max Tow package
Limited Slip
Alpine stereo
Auxiliary switch group
Premium Sunrider top (no hard top)
Tonneau cover

The LED lights and infotainment package for the overland are nice, but IMO getting the right axles is more important.

TIA
Sponsored

OP
OP

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Newly divorced? Looking to meet attractive and awesome ladies?

Get the manual.
You don’t understand Miami traffic. 5 years ago I’d say I would drive a stick for life. Now I can’t wait for a slushbox.

Sponsored

OP
OP

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@e36racer 2.5" leveling kit on 35's
IMG_20190831_150146067_HDR.jpg
That’s exactly what I’m going for. I’m probably going to get 17’s too since I think they make the tires look bigger compared to a 35 on a 20” wheel.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Many of my friends have had Wranglers for decades but I was always a sports car guy. However, I always said if Jeep ever made a Wrangler pickup I would buy one, so here I am. My M3 is for sale and I'm stoked to get a truck.

I need some help picking options for my intended use. Well one option really. First of all, I live in Miami so hard core offroading like I did with my buddies when I liven in NJ and PA is not happening. With that said, I think the Rubicon would just be a waste of money since I'll never use it as intended. I'd like to run 35's with the smallest lift possible. I like the look but don't want to climb in and out of it. Plus it's going to be my only car for a little while (just got divorced and need to buy a new house too). Therefore, I need something ladies my age (40) won't have a hard time getting in and out of. My intuition tells me to get the Sport S with the Max Tow 4.10 gears to run 35's. I probably won't be towing much so I don't know if it matters, but I don't want it to be a total dog either. I do want the limited slip though, just for pulling out into traffic in the rain. I can't stand a car that spins one tire.... When I went on the website, it would not let me select the limited slip with the max tow package. Is that correct? Is the limited slip only available with the 3.73 gears?

So if I had to make a choice between limited slip or 4.10 gears (if I can't have both), which is the better move? Also, will just a leveling kit be enough to fit 35's? I guess this will also help totally rule out the overland as well.

Sport S
Sting-Grey
Automatic (I've been driving stick for 20 years and could use a break in Miami rush hour)
Max Tow package
Limited Slip
Alpine stereo
Auxiliary switch group
Tonneau cover

The LED lights and infotainment package for the overland are nice, but IMO getting the right axles is more important.

TIA
I'd say you have everything you need except for a labrador retriever puppy hanging out the window. Chicks dig cute puppies especially when they see them climb out of a Jeep rolling on 35s.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
That’s exactly what I’m going for. I’m probably going to get 17’s too since I think they make the tires look bigger compared to a 35 on a 20” wheel.
Enjoy the aftermarket mods. Beware, it can get a bit pricey. Mines a budget build, others have much much more.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO

Sport S
Sting-Grey
Max Tow package
Limited Slip
Alpine stereo
Auxiliary switch group
Tonneau cover

TIA
Last time I heard you can not add max tow and limited slip together

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
@e36racer IMO if you know you will run 35's, get the Max tow for the axles. I wouldn't worry about spinning 35's in rain anyways. Plus, the Max gives you bigger brakes for sudden stops, for avoiding the Blue Hairs down there:like::CWL:

OP
OP

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I also looked up a set of gears vs a single diff for the rear. Both gear sets are $1k and a limited slip is $500-600. So that answers that. Max tow it is. However FCA is currently out of stock on the axles so I couldn’t place my order this morning. Dealer says they will check daily and call me when they are available again. I don’t understand why they can’t still process the order but whatever.

Deleted member 28696

Sport S
Sting-Grey
Max Tow package
Limited Slip
Alpine stereo
Auxiliary switch group
Tonneau cover

TIA
Rubicon’s are nicely appointed, I’d get the 8.4” screen with premium audio with front & rear camera. It has the 4.10 gears & max tow I think has the same. You’d be able to fit the 35” tires no lift or regearing required since the Rubicon fenders are two inches higher than the other models. I have 37’s under mine with no lift. Rubicon’s have 33’s tires stock, something the ladies would like would be the overland models, refined interior’s sits at 32” tires with nice options but max tow would be better if you need to tow a trailer. I think the sports models have Manuel windows & no frill amenities. Also forward collision will lower your insurance it’s an option that I didn’t get. If I was doing a fresh build & putting major money towards that build then I’d go with the sport. For me I’m glad I purchased the Rubicon I like the stance of it.
Sponsored