First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry (I am buying a gladiator)
Occupation
Painter
Willy’s seems more in my price range so I really need a Rubicon? How much different really is it? I’m not gonna be doing extreme off-roading but sand rock and forest type environments is probable. Any opinions Welcome!
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
A Willys will be fine. Make sure you get at least the LSD if you're going to be wheeling.

Compared to a Willys (no apostrophe, it's a last name, originally pronounced "Willis"), A Rubicon adds - different shocks/springs, more lift, bigger tires, at minimum a rear steel bumper with an extra tow hook, rock rails, and bedside sliders, locking differentials, swaybar disconnect, metal front skid plate, high clearance fenders for larger tires, offroad plus, optional metal front bumper. And a lot of red crap.

Oh, and the super low ratio crawl ratio and 4.1 final drive.

Most of this, you can add to a Willys in the aftermarket, if you eventually find the need. A lot of people buy sports or Willys's and build them up eventually. Or leave it stock. All gladiators are pretty good off road from the getgo, with the right tires, which a Willys has.

A Willys still gets 32" mud tires, so still beefy, and bodyside rock rails. I think it's a mean looking jeep from the factory. If you're not doing anything crazy, it'll be fine. Even if you are, you can build it as you go. Just make sure you get the LSD for wheeling and for weather (if it's not standard by now).

Last edited:

mmaddired18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Tires are going to be the biggest factor as far as off road capability goes when you compare different trim levels (outside of Rubi and Mojave). All terrain or mud tires make a big difference vs the all season tires that are fitted standard on Sport, Altitude, Overland, and High Altitude. There are options to upgrade to A/T tires from the factory, which is what I did with my Overland.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires are going to be the biggest factor as far as off road capability goes when you compare different trim levels (outside of Rubi and Mojave). All terrain or mud tires make a big difference vs the all season tires that are fitted standard on Sport, Altitude, Overland, and High Altitude. There are options to upgrade to A/T tires from the factory, which is what I did with my Overland.
A Willys comes with mud tires already, though. It comes with 32" Firestone MTs. It's honestly pretty good to go from the factory.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Rubicon, with Willys envy :LOL:. I think it's the best looking gladiator, with the best looking wheels by far. I love the badging, and the White Letter tires. I've copied a lot of it on my Rubi.

I looked at two, one without power windows/locks, and one with. I almost bought the base no power options one, to save money for mods. Until my wife said I couldn't mod any more vehicles. So I bought the Rubi, which is still 100% stock-ish. :angel:

harpergreene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
A Willys will be fine. Make sure you get at least the LSD if you're going to be wheeling.

Compared to a Willys (no apostrophe, it's a last name, originally pronounced "Willis"), A Rubicon adds - different shocks/springs, more lift, bigger tires, at minimum a rear steel bumper with an extra tow hook, rock rails, and bedside sliders, locking differentials, swaybar disconnect, metal front skid plate, high clearance fenders for larger tires, offroad plus, optional metal front bumper. And a lot of red crap.

Oh, and the super low ratio crawl ratio and 4.1 final drive.

Most of this, you can add to a Willys in the aftermarket, if you eventually find the need. A lot of people buy sports or Willys's and build them up eventually. Or leave it stock. All gladiators are pretty good off road from the getgo, with the right tires, which a Willys has.

A Willys still gets 32" mud tires, so still beefy, and bodyside rock rails. I think it's a mean looking jeep from the factory. If you're not doing anything crazy, it'll be fine. Even if you are, you can build it as you go. Just make sure you get the LSD for wheeling and for weather (if it's not standard by now).
What is LSD?

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Well, yolo… lmao… but seriously price both and look at the payments. If you can only afford the Willy’s, go for it. There’s plenty parts and upgrades to make it to your liking on and off road. If you like the features of the Mojave or rubi and you can make it happen money wise… do it…

regardless of what you do … most of us-on this site are enabler’s and will push you to buy those parts!!! Woot.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Willys will be great for that but hey you only live once. Get the Rubicon or Mojave if you have the funds!
That was my outlook on it. “If I’m going to spend an asinine amount of money on a vehicle (I never spent more than $30k on a vehicle prior to my JTR), I want to get what I want so I’ll (in theory) be happy with it.”

I drove a Sport locally (the only thing I could find) and then started tallying up what I wanted, equipment wise. By the time I added it all up, I was like “Rubicon, it is.”

If you’re budget limited though, go with what you can afford and build it up later as your “needs” change and your budget permits.

In my case…no kids and generally live like a hermit (minimal entertainment expenses), so I engaged full-on mid-life crisis mode and went for the JTR. Very happy with my superior mall crawler.🤣

OP
OP
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry (I am buying a gladiator)
Occupation
Painter
That was my outlook on it. “If I’m going to spend an asinine amount of money on a vehicle (I never spent more than $30k on a vehicle prior to my JTR), I want to get what I want so I’ll (in theory) be happy with it.”

I drove a Sport locally (the only thing I could find) and then started tallying up what I wanted, equipment wise. By the time I added it all up, I was like “Rubicon, it is.”

If you’re budget limited though, go with what you can afford and build it up later as your “needs” change and your budget permits.

In my case…no kids and generally live like a hermit (minimal entertainment expenses), so I engaged full-on mid-life crisis mode and went for the JTR. Very happy with my superior mall crawler.🤣
I’m thinking about the Rubi for sure lol 😂
Sponsored