• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

California First Timer Experiences

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Hi I am new to the forum. I purchased a sarge green cali edition back in December. Since then I have ordered around $18k in parts including lift 37” tires and a yukon 5.13 master kit. I would like to do the install myself. I have zero experience doing this sort of thing. I also will be installing arb lockers as part of the process. I have watched the tewltalk youtube videos which is may be why I figure I can handle this on my own albeit slowly.

So my question is basically how did this process go for other first timers here. What do you wish you knew going in? What would you have done differently? Any tips or tricks? Especially interested in tooling that will make the job easier, I am ok spending a bit there as I will be saving around $2k in labor saving this work myself.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You're going to need a hydraulic press to push bearings on, the 12 ton I bought from HF fifteen years ago was plenty, still works and saved me grief re-barrelling rifles. Magnetic dial indicators for measuring lash.

I've done diff replacements/upgrades on two Fords, not having to setup the pinon because the ring gear stayed the same takes a lot of the work off the table. They sell pinion setup kits for a good reason, getting the depth right with tight fit bearings would be tough.

The owner of my local 4x4 shop is "the guy" for setting up gears, on sand drag trucks among other things. He gave me good advice and stacks of shims, and I knew if I got over my head I could drop it in his lap. I had my YJ upgraded with chromoly axles and a TrueTrac, I was happy to pay Donnie to do the work. I'm too old for that to be fun nowadays.

Find a gear knowledgeable person with a cell phone you can text if you get stuck.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It's pretty easy overall, just requires some physical labor, tools, and mechanical ability........I do it everyday. The problems come when it doesn't go together easy.....that's when you are screwed, then nobody will touch your basket case.
Sponsored