Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Strange. He bumped up the obstacle (normal) then for reasons unknown mashed the gas pedal. I'd say the bystanders are well clear of the Jeep. You'd have to clear the whole trail to keep ped accidents like that from happening.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Strange. He bumped up the obstacle (normal) then for reasons unknown mashed the gas pedal. I'd say the bystanders are well clear of the Jeep. You'd have to clear the whole trail to keep ped accidents like that from happening.
I agree with you, the bystanders were well cleared of the Jeep. Looks like he lost control of the steering, maybe torque steer from the lockers? I am surprised his Rubicon moved that fast. Would it move that fast in 4-low? I wonder if his foot got stuck on the gas pedal? Or maybe it was forward momentum while rolling down the rock after making it up and over the obstacle? Going to be one for the insurance companies and lawyers to figure out.

Last edited:

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
ouch, that went bad quickly

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if his foot got caught or if he accidentally mashed the gas thinking it was on the brakes. I also wonder if a front suspension or steering component broke?

Either way, it was an accident. Assigning blame is nothing but armchair quarterbacking. Anyone can lose control or make a mistake and we don't know what forces were acting on the Jeep or upon which parts.

Looks like the victim that was hit was very much out of the way. Nobody would expect it to run away like that. It tells us all to pay close attention anytime we're spectating off road vehicles.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Spectators look awful close considering how some folks decide to get up and off objects

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Watch and judge. ;)

Watched. I'll take a pass on judging. Nothing in it for me or anyone else for me to judge anyone or anything that happened. YMMV.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I wonder if his foot got caught or if he accidentally mashed the gas thinking it was on the brakes. I also wonder if a front suspension or steering component broke?

Either way, it was an accident. Assigning blame is nothing but armchair quarterbacking. Anyone can lose control or make a mistake and we don't know what forces were acting on the Jeep or upon which parts.

Looks like the victim that was hit was very much out of the way. Nobody would expect it to run away like that. It tells us all to pay close attention anytime we're spectating off road vehicles.
Broken steering doesnt cause sudden acceleration.

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
No, but sudden acceleration can cause broken steering, and that front end looks pretty stock. Not that the factory design/parts aren't sufficient in most cases, but in places like Moab, one should probably be upgrading critical components before worrying about decals and weapons mounts.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never said it did that. The vehicle not only accelerated, but turned violently left. Looks like multiple problems, not just one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, but sudden acceleration can cause broken steering, and that front end looks pretty stock. Not that the factory design/parts aren't sufficient in most cases, but in places like Moab, one should probably be upgrading critical components before worrying about decals and weapons mounts.
Again, we don't know. BTW, I've run Moab twice with primarily stock components without a failure. On other Jeeps, I've seen MANY broken upgraded components there. There are far too many variables to make a statement like that. IF something broke, it may have encountered a force that could have broken even the beefiest parts. We just don't know. Watch the video again, though. The front tires appear to have encountered a violent impact or the driver made a violent steering input, or both.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm not drawing conclusions, but rather exploring possibilities. I'm also not assigning blame.
Sponsored